magazine subscription game = shady as f---

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Pretty crazy story in the NYT that Hsulu put me up on. I never knew those dudes coming to my door lived such a trife life.http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/us/21magcrew.html?hp

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    A SEARCH FOR CUSTOMERS Members of a magazine crew trying to sell subscriptions to shoppers at a strip mall in Oceanside, Calif. Such crews become family, many sellers said, with bonds of shared experience.

^^^ O-SIDE, TRIFE AS FUK. THEM SEASIDE STREETS BE RUFF AND TUFF, BOYEEEE.

• Sorry, but you would have to be retarded to call in for a scam like this. I know kids right out of high school can be naive but come on.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Sorry, but you would have to be retarded to call in for a scam like this. I know kids right out of high school can be naive but come on.

Wow, talk about compassion!

I'm assuming - and I could be wrong - that you didn't grow up poor.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Sorry, but you would have to be retarded to call in for a scam like this. I know kids right out of high school can be naive but come on.

Wow, talk about compassion!

I'm assuming - and I could be wrong - that you didn't grow up poor.

• I read this last night and I'm like...what's the big deal?

Seems like an odd industry to do an "expose" on, no? I mean, they cite these "SHOCKING!" statistics like 2 (!) people have died of drug overdoses. I'm like, OK there's what 1400 kids running around doing this? So is 2 drug-related deaths even statistically significant? Isn't that about right or only slightly higher the way crazy kids be doing drugs these days?

Bottom line is kids get stuck in shitty jobs. I know I did when I was younger. This isn't news. Next thread please.

Bottom line is kids get stuck in shitty jobs.

I'd say when you're pushed to a point where you have to steal from potential subscribers in order to buy subscriptions yourself to make quota out of fear of getting the shit kicked out of you, your job qualifies as more than just 'shitty'.

• Bottom line is kids get stuck in shitty jobs.

I'd say when you're pushed to a point where you have to steal from potential subscribers in order to buy subscriptions yourself to make quota out of fear of getting the shit kicked out of you, your job qualifies as more than just 'shitty'.

Listen broseph, I washed a SHITLOAD of cars when I was in school. Dirty ass dune buggies too bruh! That shit was hard! And don't even get me started on my paper route. I was bitten by dogs! Damn near lost my Huffy one time too, a bunch of fuckin' "boys in the hood" chased me all the way home. Fuck I do to deserve THAT?

It's not MY fucking fault that some kid grows up in a polluted part of the city and has to take some scummy job where they get their ass kicked for not meeting quota and has to steal money to buy back magazines. I mean, how is that MY fault? What do they want, me to hand over the keys to my Volvo? My SAT prep classes? It's not like that stuff was given to me, I earned it dude!

:ROLLEYES:

• hand over the keys to my Volvo

NEVER that son.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I didn't catch it, but was there anything in the article about the New York Times using door-to-door salesmen for subscriptions to the paper? I always got a feeling that the telephone support people were smoking meth during my service calls -- they really would not let me cancel my subscription.

You can best beleive that every one of them are printing out this article as fodder to sell subscriptions. "Lady, please subscribe to Reader's Digest -- I really need to eat, and not get beat up by my boss. Need more information, read this article."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I read this last night and I'm like...what's the big deal?

Seems like an odd industry to do an "expose" on, no? I mean, they cite these "SHOCKING!" statistics like 2 (!) people have died of drug overdoses. I'm like, OK there's what 1400 kids running around doing this? So is 2 drug-related deaths even statistically significant? Isn't that about right or only slightly higher the way crazy kids be doing drugs these days?

Bottom line is kids get stuck in shitty jobs. I know I did when I was younger. This isn't news. Next thread please.

Fortunately, I do not envision any of the partners at your firm forcing you to fight your fellow associates.

What do they want, me to hand over the keys to my Volvo? My SAT prep classes? It's not like that stuff was given to me, I earned it dude!

:ROLLEYES:

REAL TALK

• hand over the keys to my Volvo

NEVER that son.

exactly

• I read this last night and I'm like...what's the big deal?

Fortunately, I do not envision any of the partners at your firm forcing you to fight your fellow associates.

think again. the game done changed.

• Bottom line is kids get stuck in shitty jobs.

You'd think they would gang up on their 'managers', kick the shit out of them, take their money and buy bus tickets home.

I mean, hell, isn't that what being in a 'crew' is all about? Kind of a surrogate family?

• one of these girls stopped by my house last summer at about 3pm. Ripped a bong with my roomates, drank 2 beers, then left her cell phone on our couch.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    Pretty crazy story in the NYT that Hsulu put me up on. I never knew those dudes coming to my door lived such a trife life.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/us/21magcrew.html?hp

thanks for posting....interesting read

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    abuse is like beauty. It???s in the eyes of the beholder

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I see reality show potential here. "Mag Crew Life[/b]: Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

• anyone here ever sell knives for Cutco?

anyone here ever sell knives for Cutco?

Yep. For one summer. I made a grip of cash too. I quit because I hated getting referrals and cold calling people. Years later, while happily hustling for records, I realized I had overcome that aversion.

• anyone here ever sell knives for Cutco?

Yep. For one summer. I made a grip of cash too. I quit because I hated getting referrals and cold calling people. Years later, while happily hustling for records, I realized I had overcome that aversion.

i could only make it as a sales person for 1 weekend, i just couldnt get with the "cultish" vibe...and the cold calls. "hey i'm your sons friend, and i'd like to talk to you about knives". this story just reminded me of a really fucked up cutco.