Firewire 800 POWERED ext HD reccomendations?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Looking for about 40 - 60gb external firewire powered (optional) hard drive. Any reccomends? 2.5" or 3.5"...

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Most premade external drives w/ firewire 800 generally have at least 100gb drives. I would recommend the lacies if that's in your price range.

http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10033

I personally have an acomdata 160gb dual interface (usb2 & fw 400). It has served me well......

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I was looking at the Acomdata's on directron.com. I'm kinda wary of the 80 & 160gb drives though. A friend of mine told me some yada yada about those sizes being more readily corruptable for some reason that I understood, but forgot. That's why you get the best deals on those capacities.

True or not?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I've heard that 80 & 160gb thing too, but it seems to be an urban legend to me. Personallly I've never had any problems.

Keep in mind they don't spin down when your mac goes to sleep. You have to manually eject then power them off...................although I think some of the maxtors will actually recognize power saver mode in the os and spin down also.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    have i ever told you the story of how i lost all my data from lacie firewire drives... not once.. not twice.. but THREE TIMES!!??

the last time was a 500 Gb and I lost the entire universe of the Worldcom civil matter electronic evidence.

oh and get at me tonight... i have a gang of shit for you.

have i ever told you the story of how i lost all my data from lacie firewire drives... not once.. not twice.. but THREE TIMES!!??

the last time was a 500 Gb and I lost the entire universe of the Worldcom civil matter electronic evidence.

oh and get at me tonight... i have a gang of shit for you.

Yeah, you told me about it once and it changed my opinion of Lacie altogether. Losing just that 100gb was enough for me to think about investing in a dvd burner to back all this shit up.

Aser, got any reccomends on a 8-16x ext dvd burner?

Yeah, and J, sorry I didn't holler at you last night. The young one had a case of the hershey squirts.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://dealnews.com/articles/Pioneer+DVR109+16x+DVD++RW+FireWire+USB+2.0+for+89/88599.html

I recently bought a benq dw1620, best thing I've picked up in ages. It works like a charm w/ patchburn.

the thing w/ hard drives.........if you want to get down to it. I've heard horror stories from people using pretty much every major brand out there. There's always someone that has lost everything on their drives. The best thing to do, treat your drive w/ care, run repairs on it periodically, don't leave it powered on 24/7, etc etc......

it really is a luck of the draw thing..........

"what a bargain!!! What a bargain for me!!!"

I'm gonna have to hook that up!

Appreciated!

• http://dealnews.com/articles/Pioneer+DVR109+16x+DVD++RW+FireWire+USB+2.0+for+89/88599.html

I recently bought a benq dw1620, best thing I've picked up in ages. It works like a charm w/ patchburn.

the thing w/ hard drives.........if you want to get down to it. I've heard horror stories from people using pretty much every major brand out there. There's always someone that has lost everything on their drives. The best thing to do, treat your drive w/ care, run repairs on it periodically, don't leave it powered on 24/7, etc etc......

it really is a luck of the draw thing..........

I have a 120 western digital and just bought a 300Gb monster recently. basically backed up everything onto the 300 gb.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I've been using one of the maxtor firewires. I've had it for two years. I thought it died about a year ago but it turned i=out to be a bad firewire. I recommend buying a new firewire cord. Also back your shit up.

I've heard complaints for pretty much all brands. Especially Maxtor, however it has worked for me and my Pro Tools system.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    thx for the link Aser, I might just give this thing a whirl

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    for mac heads, the pioneer 109 is actually used as a superdrive for a few of the powermacs. Hence it'll have built in compatibility w/ iLife suite. If you do get it Jeff, I recommend you hook it up to a pc and dl the latest firmware.

However, the benq is very dope because it has built in bit setting. What does bit setting do? It tricks your dvd player into thinking it's playing dvd-rom, instead of dvd+R. A lot of dvd players were made before the advent of dvd-r and +r so they don't recognize those discs. Case in point, take the ps2, the dvd player in it is quite picky. I've burned discs w/ my benq and they work like a charm on a ps2.

Highly recommended............also the firmware updates bump the dual layer burn speeds to 4x.

I had a Western Digital 200gb ide with ext case that I put together. I dropped it off the conveyor belt at the airport and it will only forcibly mount now. Techtool found over 150k bad sectors on it. I can recover some of the data, but I desperately need to back it up before long.

thanks all

who's Jeff?

who's Jef?

jef (gubment name) = cashless

for mac heads, the pioneer 109 is actually used as a superdrive for a few of the powermacs. Hence it'll have built in compatibility w/ iLife suite. If you do get it Jeff, I recommend you hook it up to a pc and dl the latest firmware.

You are a gangsta! Thanks!

cool, I was not knowing

thx to Aser for dropping mad tech knowledge!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    no problem dudes, it's a pleasure assisting yee folks....

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87

There's a 3rd party firmware (buffalo) on the pioneer 109 that enables bit setting btw.

• There's a myriad of options.
    I would advise to get something with Oxford 911 or 922 chipset & do not keep all your eggs in one basket.

Back up to DVD/CD-R on the reg & store them shits away.
    Big drives are cool & handy but remember the bigger the drive the harder the crash.
    I do use 100 & 160GB FW drives, I use 'em to store audio/video files & what not.
    All the crucial stuff gets backed up to DVD right away though.

For recording drive, I advise not getting the biggest drive out, go with quality, faster & quieter drives.
    When you're done recording to it, backup & defrag.

Beieve it or not, for recording I actually use a small but fast dedicated 9gb drive, it's never gotten full once not even with hours of mutil-track sessions on it.

Hope that helps.

• Got one of these running in Mac land holding 100 gigs of music. No problems, ever. FireWire Direct

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Anybody have one of those terabyte[/b] drives? 1000 gigs... YEAH.