I'm going to learn something new at wikipedia

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
and then come back and share what I learned. See you soon.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The name Gary is derived from the word spear and used to describe a "spear thrower"

The usage of Gary as a male given name in America is interestingly intertwined with the success of the actor Gary Cooper. According to the Social Security Administration, Gary was relatively rare[/b] as a given name in the 1900-1920s period (e.g., in the 1910s it was the 677th most frequent name, given to less than 0.01% of the babies born in that decade). However, when the actor's Gary, Indiana-born agent Nan Collins told him to change his name (then Frank Cooper) to Gary, this name's popularity soared.

In the 1930s, 0.38% of the male babies in America were named Gary, and in the 1950s as many as 1.54% of the male babies were given this name, making it the 12th most popular given name of that decade. The name Gary reached its record popularity (9th place) in 1953,[/b] the same year that Gary Cooper received his Best Actor Academy Award for his leading role in High Noon. Since then, the popularity of Gary as a given name in America has been on a very slow, but steady decline. In the 1990s, this name is the 170th most popular, given to around 0.1% of newborn males.

The name Gary can also be a variant of similar names, such as the Welsh Gareth, Garrie or Garry

I'll be damned.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Chinese Cities and Province

The total number of Chinese cities is 666.
    11 cities with population over 2 million;
    23 cities with population between 1 millions and 2 million;
    44 cities with population between 500,000 and 1 million;
    159 cities with population between 200,000 and 500,000;
    393 cities with population less than 200,000.

The number of Mayoress in China is 375;
    The total urban population in China is 515.11 million.

and there is not a single strutter posting from China. I find this very suspect, to say the least. Is it censorship? What?

• Hugh is a male given name. It is teutonic and means "Bright in Mind and Spirit" or "Thoughtful". It is related to the name Hugin, one of Odin's ravens, who represented Thought. Many medieval rulers were named Hugh.

I'll be damned.

• Today, I learned about Soul Jazz and ADD.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    The name Gary is derived from the word spear and used to describe a "spear thrower"

The usage of Gary as a male given name in America is interestingly intertwined with the success of the actor Gary Cooper. According to the Social Security Administration, Gary was relatively rare[/b] as a given name in the 1900-1920s period (e.g., in the 1910s it was the 677th most frequent name, given to less than 0.01% of the babies born in that decade). However, when the actor's Gary, Indiana-born agent Nan Collins told him to change his name (then Frank Cooper) to Gary, this name's popularity soared.

In the 1930s, 0.38% of the male babies in America were named Gary, and in the 1950s as many as 1.54% of the male babies were given this name, making it the 12th most popular given name of that decade. The name Gary reached its record popularity (9th place) in 1953,[/b] the same year that Gary Cooper received his Best Actor Academy Award for his leading role in High Noon. Since then, the popularity of Gary as a given name in America has been on a very slow, but steady decline. In the 1990s, this name is the 170th most popular, given to around 0.1% of newborn males.

The name Gary can also be a variant of similar names, such as the Welsh Gareth, Garrie or Garry

I'll be damned.

gimme that rackord now.

• A suitcase is a somewhat flat rectangular-shaped bag with rounded corners, either hard plastic or soft (made of cloth or vinyl or leather that more or less keeps its shape). It has a convenient carrying handle on one side and is used mainly for transporting clothes and other possessions during trips. It opens on hinges like a clam-shell. Suitcases lock with keys or a combination. Originally, suitcases were made of leather or cardboard.

Most modern suitcases have built-in small wheels enabling them to be pulled along on hard flat surfaces by a fixed or extendable handle or by a retractable or stowable leash. Suitcases are a type of luggage.

A smaller, firmer suitcase, used mainly for transporting papers and office supplies is known as a briefcase.

Luggage tags.Airlines attach tags to luggage which is transported as checked luggage. (Such checked luggage can be lost or delayed, a significant worry for travelers.) Due to current security concerns, checked luggage must be scanned and/or inspected.

The longest human tail on record belonged to a twelve-year-old boy living in what was then French Indochina, which measured nine inches (229 mm).[1] There is a man with a 13 inch tail in India.[2]

Supposedly the story that Yma Sumac's real name was just Amy Camus is a hoax.

Interesting. I always thought that was true.

Tito Puente's daughter is a news reporter on TV.