It's Carnival Time...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
All Hail King Zulu...And don't forget to hail the King of Bacchus while you're at it...

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Saint Aug Purple Knights...

1. Is Mardi Gras the same thing as Carnival?

Yes, with many local-to-NOLA variations thrown in. Mardi Gras Day is always Fat Tueday ie.e the day before Ash Wednesday. The idea is that before fasting for 40 days, that folks get all of their ya-ya's out during Mardi Gras.

2. What is a King Cake?

A King Cake is a circular bread-cake with green, gold, and purple sugar decorating it. Before being served a small plastic baby is inserted somewhere hidden within the cake. In the weeks leading up to Mardi Gras Day, folks throw daily King Cake parties...and whoever gets served the piece with the baby in it has to bring the cake to the next party.

3. What are the big parades?

Endymion which typically ends inside of the Superdome, Bacchus which typically sports the most famous of guest kings (this year: Tony Soprano), and then the big daddy Zulu-Rex-truck parade combo on Mardi Gras Day.

More Mardi Gras Q&A to come...

• 1. Is Mardi Gras the same thing as Carnival?

Seeing as Carnival is an equally huge celebration in Trinidad and Tobago, has any Soca music south-to-north reverse-carpetbagged its way into Mardi Gras pardies?

• allright harvey-while you're quizzin, where in the south is the 1st parade of the season? (last 20+ yrs or so)

i'll settle for the county if need be.

ps- i miss king cake, and crawdads, not the hilbillys though...

1. Is Mardi Gras the same thing as Carnival?

Seeing as Carnival is an equally huge celebration in Trinidad and Tobago, has any Soca music south-to-north reverse-carpetbagged its way into Mardi Gras pardies?

3 things...

1. New Orleans funk music, especially as played by second line-oriented bands ala Rebirth Brass Band, the Soul Rebels, Hot 8 Brass Band, the Flaming Arrows, etc....which has everything to do with the cadences that marching bands play between songs during Mardi Gras parades...couldn't be any more influenced by Afro-Caribbean traditions.

2. I think it is a fair assessment to call NOLA bounce the closest thing that we have to soca here in the States.

3. I don't think that was a very good use of the carpetbagging concept in that Caribbean people actually migrated and beget generations of families in NOLA. Had they only stayed long enough to extract the information they needed to go back to where they came from and look like hipster geniuses, then you could rightly call them carpetbaggeurs.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    HAhahaha.
    Don't forget Haitian influences in NOLA too.
    Reverse carpetbaggeurs is hilariousssssssssss.

allright harvey-while you're quizzin, where in the south is the 1st parade of the season? (last 20+ yrs or so)

i'll settle for the county parish[/b] if need be.

ps- i miss king cake, and crawdads crawfish[/b], not the hilbillys coon asses[/b] though...

This was the schedule for the first day of Mardi Gras in NOLA this year:

February 9, 2007
    Krewe of Oshun (6:00 pm)
    Cleopatra (West Bank, 6:30 pm)
    Krewe of Pygmalion (7:00 pm)

Incidentally, Cleopatra, Choctaw, and Poseidon were always my favorite West Bank parades.

HAhahaha.

I could never forget that, as I am married into a Haitian family whose current patriarch spent a good dozen of years living in New Orleans.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    HAhahaha.

I could never forget that, as I am married into a Haitian family whose current patriarch spent a good dozen of years living in New Orleans.

It's easier to say "...my grandfather"

• allright harvey-while you're quizzin, where in the south is the 1st parade of the season? (last 20+ yrs or so)

i'll settle for the county parish[/b] if need be.

ps- i miss king cake, and crawdads crawfish[/b], not the hilbillys coon asses[/b] though...

This was the schedule for the first day of Mardi Gras in NOLA this year:

February 9, 2007
    Krewe of Oshun (6:00 pm)
    Cleopatra (West Bank, 6:30 pm)
    Krewe of Pygmalion (7:00 pm)

Incidentally, Cleopatra, Choctaw, and Poseidon were always my favorite West Bank parades.

MS has counties, not parishes, which incedentally is where the 1st parade of the season always is

crawdads/crawfish/crayfish/mudbugs are all pretty interchangeable
    tomato/tomato

i neverhave/will called people coon asses. hicks/hillbillys/rednecks works just fine for me. whatever floats your pirogue.

!!!!!! SHOW ME YOUR TITS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i miss mardi gras too

• i neverhave/will called people coon asses. hicks/hillbillys/rednecks works just fine for me. whatever floats your pirogue.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Trust me, coonasses don't really find it to be offensive. I mean, damn, the Lousiana State Capitol sells patches, postcards and bumper stickers that say "REGISTERED COONASS."

(Yes, I have one of each.)

Redneck and hillbilly aren't Cajun-specific, so I'd caution against using them instead of coonass.

I'm kind of diggin' this thread. I never knew you were from Miss'ippi, G****.

• i neverhave/will called people coon asses. hicks/hillbillys/rednecks works just fine for me. whatever floats your pirogue.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Trust me, coonasses don't really find it to be offensive. I mean, damn, the Lousiana State Capitol sells patches, postcards and bumper stickers that say "REGISTERED COONASS."

(Yes, I have one of each.)

Redneck and hillbilly aren't Cajun-specific, so I'd caution against using them instead of coonass.

I'm kind of diggin' this thread. I never knew you were from Miss'ippi, G****.

not from but lived there during my formative years, so i gotta ride for the 'sip/south/NOLA. def shaped me as well as my musical preferences/open mindedness towards all kind of ish.( re-reading that, its sounds funny considering the south is generally reputed for ignorance)

ah, many a drunken underage night in the quarter when i was young .
    good times

• while were on the subject, anyone here listened to the
    michael foster project ?

my friend in nola sent me a cd, its got a cool vers of red clay and georgia on my mind.

HAhahaha.

It's easier to say "...my grandfather"

Actually, brother-in-law.

Coon ass is a term of endearment.

• Coon ass is a term of endearment.

i wasnt struggling for an endearing term, but thanks. i was talkin bout people i wouldnt miss. like the fuzz

Mardi Gras Indian Glossary

- Big Chief: the leader of a particular Indian gang, and often the oldest member

- Second Chief, etc.: many gangs have underlings of the Big Chief without specific roles, unlike:

- Wild Man: member of the gang responsible for clearing a way through the crowd for the Big Chief, identifiable by horns on his suit and/or staff

- Flag Boy, First Flag, etc: member that carries the large, usually feathered staffs who conveys contact with rivals gangs spotted by the Spy Boy to the rest of the gang

- Spy Boy: member responsible for locating rival gangs and alerting his gang to their whereabouts, so a battle may ensue; often carries a decorated facsimile of a rifle

- "Prettiest": the ultimate compliment of a Mardi Gras Indian's costume

- "Pretty, pretty": see, "prettiest"

- "New Suit": traditionally, Indians make a new costume for each Mardi Gras; in practice, many costumes are composed of pieces from past years' suits. Also a famous Indian song by The Wild Magnolias

- Indian songs: there are many traditional Mardi Gras Indian chants that have been recorded by the Wild Magnolias, the Wild Tchoupitoulas, and the Golden Eagles. Some include "Meet The Boys On The Battlefront," "My Big Chief Got A Golden Crown," and "Handa Wanda"

- Indian practice: usually weekly gatherings by Indian gangs at neighborhood bars where they practice their chants prior to Mardi Gras; costumes are not worn

Super Sunday
    Weekend parades showcase dozens of Mardi Gras Indian gangs

Tuesday March 16, 2004
    By Alex Oliver
    NOLA.com

On Sunday, New Orleanians experience one of the city's most colorful and unique celebrations when the Downtown Mardi Gras Indian parade runs its traditional route from Bayou St. John to Hunter's Field. The annual parade, assembled by the Tambourine and Fan organization, is one of two "Super Sunday" parades; the other, organized by the Mardi Gras Indian Council featuring Uptown Indian gangs, also parades Sunday at A.L. Davis Park at Washington and LaSalle.

This Sunday's parades afford fans of the Mardi Gras Indian masking tradition the best opportunity to experience the sights and sounds of the Indians. Mardi Gras morning is the first time Indian gangs debut their new suits, which often cost thousands of dollars in materials and take an entire year to sew. St. Joseph's Night, the other high holiday of the Mardi Gras Indians, requires a knowledgeable guide to help seek out the location of particular gangs' headquarters, usually neighborhood bars where the members meet in the weeks leading up to Mardi Gras to practice their chants. The Super Sundays, with fixed routes and start times, make watching the spectacle possible for even the most casual fan.

"Masking Indian" is a generations-old New Orleans tradition. Its exact history is difficult to determine, but most agree the ritual song, dance and costuming began as way for African slaves brought to America to celebrate their heritage. While the association with Native American Indians is greatly debatable -- some older Mardi Gras Indian chiefs claim runaway slaves were harbored by Native Americans, while others think the style of dress is more likely inspired by Wild West shows that visited New Orleans in the late 1800s -- the assumption that different Indian gangs drew from different African tribes seems likely given a distinct difference in how the Indians make their suits.

At the Downtown Mardi Gras Indian parade this Sunday, expect to see Indian costumes featuring elaborate sculptural design elements, often referred to by the maskers as "3-D." These designs often depict heads of lions, snakes, African masks, elephants and jewels, all decorated with sequins and rhinestones. At the Uptown parade, the suits will almost universally feature flat panels of sewn beads and sequins designed to depict a scene -- often of a Native American hunting -- or dedications to friends and family.

Another fascinating aspect of the Mardi Gras Indian outings are the mock battles that ensue when rival gangs meet one another, something that's generally missing from the organized parades. On Mardi Gras and on St. Joseph's night one member of a gang, the Spy Boy, runs reconnaissance missions around his gang's path, looking for feathers and listening for chants of rival gangs. When the two groups confront one another, battles that in the past were unfortunately settled with violence are now settled by who's suit is the "prettiest." Often, a Downtown Indian will claim his suit prettier than an Uptown Indian because his rival's is "too flat."

To witness this special piece of New Orleans' living history, head to Bayou St. John at Orleans Avenue at about noon. After the gangs are suited up they march to parade formation on Orleans Ave., where the parade continues to Claiborne Ave., takes a left heading downtown and winds up at Hunter's Field at St. Bernard and Claiborne. For the Uptown parade, arrive at A.L. Davis Park on LaSalle St. near Washington at about noon. That parade makes a loosely-defined loop around the C.J. Peete housing development and concludes back at A.L. Davis Park.

The Mambo Kings
    By David Kunian and Bill Taylor

When "Mardi Gras Mambo" was released in 1954, it was an immediate, surprise hit.
    Record courtesy Jim Russell Rare Records
    They were all teenagers playing in the hottest band in town, the Hawketts. And one day a WWEZ disc jockey named Jack the Cat called them to record an unlikely country song in a radio station on Canal Street. Fifty years ago, those kids assembled and made New Orleans music history with their song, "Mardi Gras Mambo."

"(Jack the Cat) approached our leader, who was Carol Joseph at the time," recalls Hawketts drummer John Boudreaux, who played with AFO Records, Dr. John and many others. "Carol Joseph was the trombone player in the Hawketts, and he was the leader of the group. We were playing around New Orleans in dances for after football games. ... (We) were popular around New Orleans (in the 1950s).

"(Jack the Cat) said that this song was a country-and-western song before we did it, and we put a whole other spin on it," says Boudreaux, who now lives in Los Angeles.

Keyboardist and singer Art Neville helped start such seminal New Orleans bands as the Meters and the Neville Brothers, but it was with the Hawketts that he got his start, singing the lead on the song. He remembers recording the song with Jack the Cat at the radio station. "We had one mic set up, and I had one mic that I was singing in and playing piano," says Neville. "It was all in this one small room ... ."

According to Neville, Israel Bell and August Flurry performed the trumpet parts, while Morris Bachemin (tenor) and George Davis (alto) played the saxophone parts. Davis, who now lives in Atlanta, also gained fame for writing "Tell it Like it Is," which Art's brother Aaron (and later the rock group Heart) turned into hits.

The opening of the song is distinct both for its simple saxophone piece, punctuated by a grunt by everyone but Boudreaux, who says he was too busy drumming to chime in.

"We fiddled around for a minute or so, and George Davis and Morris Bachemin came up with the idea for everyone to sing in the beginning," Boudreaux says. "Of course, I didn't do too much singing on it, but everybody else did. I was busy trying to play a drum rumba, so to speak. We used to do calypso/rumba types of stuff because that came off of Professor Longhair's music, so it was easy to go in that direction. ... He had a rumba rhythm with another kind of New Orleans-type drum sound. 'Mardi Gras Mambo' wasn't exactly like that, but we were trying to play a calypso-type style."

Boudreaux laughs. "If you notice, we didn't have a bass player on there. We were young, and we didn't know that a band was supposed to have a bass player. I didn't even have a sock cymbal at the time."

Art Neville was enthralled with the local vibe of the song, noting how it refers to several neighborhoods in town -- a cornerstone of New Orleans geography and culture. "It's always about something," Neville points out. "Just like in 'Mardi Gras Mambo,' 'In Gert Town,' you know, in the back part of town where the cats all meet. The cats.

"Now, you know who the cats are. I'm not going to go no further than that."

When "Mardi Gras Mambo" came out in 1954, it was an immediate, surprise hit. "We were right out of school so we weren't expecting nothing really big," Boudreaux says. "I guess Jack the Cat was such a popular disc jockey that he got it to the right people."

Boudreaux cites the uniqueness of the song as one of the reasons for its popularity. There were only a few Mardi Gras songs being played at the time, and even Professor Longhair -- author of perhaps the most popular Carnival song, "Mardi Gras in New Orleans" -- was not yet popular.

Both Neville and Boudreaux say that neither of them received much for the song -- Boudreaux says he was paid $40 for the session but nothing more. But any bitterness of the lack of financial gain is overshadowed by their pride in what has become a timeless piece of Mardi Gras' heritage. "Here these young guys did this song way back then, and it's still being played," Neville says. "I love playing it. I'm proud I did it and that I was part of the group that did it, and that it's still around. I am still here to listen to it. It's stuff that just feels good, and we grew up on that. I grew up running behind parades, ducking under floats. It was the same thing with people stepping on your hands for doubloons. The flambeaux will set you on fire if you get too close to them.

"It's fun, and I'm glad that 'Mardi Gras Mambo' has lasted that long."

Wish I could have made this, as referenced in a message from Cyril Neville posted on his website...

Happy New Year
    Tribe 13 has made it, a new year is upon us. The wounds are still slowly healing from Katrina's wrath. We are still in a transition of renewal and rebuilding.
    I skipped Mardi Gras last year for personal reasons because I felt New Orleans was not all the way healed and I know I am still not completely over the complete devastation that my beloved city went through.
    It was unbelevably confusing seeing people that was not born in my city telling the natives who was forced out and are still scattered. We are told how to feel or criticized for speaking the truth.
    I am coming home for Mardi Gras this year, i have something to say musically, spiritually,
    and I will come to share in the uniqueness that my city represents during such a spiritual and
    coming together of good times and rememberances of a wonderful city that was not sold out by politicians stuffing their pockets with the money that was supposed to be rebuilding it, also not caring about the true culture that truly brought the adoring fans from around the world, it sure wasn't the french quarter with it's stench and kharma from the misdeeds it's slavemasters had done , now the city suffers from the kharma of my brothers disrespect for his own life and his brother's life. I pray that they stop the madness.
    Traditions of our celebrating Carnival was not being shot at or witnessing a murder. We came together in song and drumming to celebrate the strength of a people who had met and admired another people, the red man for accepting us to through a tragic times of slavery and it's degregation. So at Mardi Gras time the black indian came out to give his thanks and praise of another year of blessings with the celeration and honor to the people that accepted them.
    We will be honoring Brother Tootie Montana and also raising awareness for the
    non-profit programs called the White Buffalo Day children's foundation and the Back Street Museum that my wife and I have been helping and lending our service to, to keep the true culture of New Orleans alive.
    On Monday at the Mother-in-Law lounge we invite all the people to come and celebrate our coming home, but the honoring of the memory of brother Tootie and honring his Queen SISTER JOYCE....
    He died trying to bring the city and the black indians together. We will honor this big chief's memory
    I will be playing fresh new music with a fresh sound but we have our indian face paint on and we are ready to go.
    SO YOU CAN GO SEE THE SAME OLD THING OR COME SEE SOMETHING FRESH....
    THE CHILI AND THE GUMBO IS COMING1

WHEN FEBRUARY 19, 2006
    WHERE: THE MOTHER -IN-LAW LOUNGE
    WHAT TIME: DOORS AT 10:00 PM
    SHOW DON'T START TIL MIDNIGHT
    BRINGING IT THROUGH MARDI GRAS MORNING

THERE WILL BE FOOD SOLD AND MISS ANTOINETTE K-DOE WILL BE REPRESENTING WITH THE BABY DOLLS.
    IT WILL BE GOING DOWN RIGHT THERE ON CLAIBORNE AVE.

Cyril and Tribe 13 myspace address
    http://www.myspace.com/cyrilnevilleandtribe13

I did see Cyril Neville and Tribe 13 perform before Barack Obama spoke out at Auditorium Shores last week.

Obama was also good, including: "The US government is funding both sides of the War on Terrorism."

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I was back in New Orleans for the Mardi Gras last week -- the first time I've been back since Katrina. Seeing the water lines on so many empty houses was eerie, but it helped put the devastation into perspective. Still, I think it was a good Mardi Gras, and it seemed like the city is coming back one way or another.

Seeing taco trucks around town was interesting and new. Looks like a large Mexican population will eventually kick the city's demographics in a new direction. Considering the melting pot nature of NOLA, I expect and hope that the added diversity will work just fine.

Was also glad to see that Mandina's re-opened during my visit. Place doesn't look the same, but the turtle soup is still delicious.

God bless New Orleans.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Thanks for the pics, by the way. I had a dead camera most of the week. I spent Mardi Gras day on St. Charles in front of the Superior Grill. How about you?

I haven't been to a NOLA Mardi Gras since '84...back when I used to march in parades with my school band.

Since they moved, Big Chief Kevin Goodman and Cyril Neville have been trying to get a decent Mardi Gras going in Austin...but people here only seem interested in the drunken carousing aspect of it and hardly pay any mind to all of the important customs and symbolism.