dance mix help!

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
i am being given about 5 hours to put together a dance mix for a party tomorrow night. i have not done this before...i know what tracks make me wanna dance but are there some pointers anybody can give me...i just have to put the mix on a cd and give it to my friend, so its not like im actually DJing, but i want it to be a quality mix and i want people to dance.any pointers will help immensely...im doing a soul & funk mix, so advice is welcomealso any dancefloor burners on mp3 would be much appreciated!! haha this isnt anything too serious, but its for a bar and i dont wanna let my friend down, but i also wanna play stuff i love.help me out!

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Um... play disco.

Oh and stuff on the salsoul label... afterwhich you need to sell to me!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Just curious, what bar? Know of few down there that let people do this here and there, is always fun---you know, playing your own stuff.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    picador (formerly gabes)

you should come out!

• Don't worry about creating the best mix ever because people probably won't care. Just make sure your best tracks are great and your filler tracks are good.

• Hope these will be of some use .... If not enjoy them anyway.

Everyday

Clean Living

Sidestep

Slow Hot Wind

Wadidyusay

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    i am being given about 5 hours to put together a dance mix for a party tomorrow night. i have not done this before...i know what tracks make me wanna dance but are there some pointers anybody can give me...i just have to put the mix on a cd and give it to my friend, so its not like im actually DJing, but i want it to be a quality mix and i want people to dance.

any pointers will help immensely...im doing a soul & funk mix, so advice is welcome

also any dancefloor burners on mp3 would be much appreciated!! haha this isnt anything too serious, but its for a bar and i dont wanna let my friend down, but i also wanna play stuff i love.

help me out!

Download a great mix from the web, maybe 'now that's what I call music vol #12' then burn it and put "Ako's Mix" on it with a sharpie. Just a thought.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    awesome

• (You probably have these, but ...) you can't lose with the Mary Jane Girls:

All Night Long
    In My House

We all love deep and heavy funk, but dancers love jams. You can't lose. And aim for the ladies ... female vocals are good to throw in as much as possible.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    picador (formerly gabes)

you should come out!

Whats Yip Yip? Was just at the site and looks like thats what going on tonight there. I see a ton of opening acts, I'm guessing you know some people in them?

Can't make it tonight, but sometime we will have to meet up as we have said in the past---like a really long time ago ha.

On a side note, I can't believe how much better the sound is in there---feels so much more legit. But Gabes had its charm of course.

co-sign on the Mary Jane Girls track