More Albums Out = Overall Sales Decline?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Ive heard this argument used a few times to defend major labels' often ridiculous release schedules. I guess the rationale is that people presented with too many choices at once wont purchase cd's they would normally buy if they were released at separate intervals? I don't know, but it sounds a whole lot like "people will be forced to buy whatever crap we put out this week cause there ain't anything else available."Now that cd's are pretty much officially dead, does this kind of marketing still make any sense? Why dont they just put out more albums? discuss.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Major labels do not need to be defended, they always release the same exact shit, and it's shit, always.

Plus, maybe they don't sell so much in the record stores but start selling more and more on the net, so...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    More albums out than when? There are madddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd records released back in the day, Music to break a lease, Mrs Miller singing badly, guys playing the fart kazoo. Sales are down cuz of the internets.

• More albums out than when? There are madddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd records released back in the day, Music to break a lease, Mrs Miller singing badly, guys playing the fart kazoo. Sales are down cuz of the inter[color:green] WEBS[/color]
    yeah, that and most young people have no appriciation for real music. As a result they just buy this one popular thing, and then the next one after that, having no directon or drive of their own to guide them in any musical direction. If some people only knew what was out there.......

and yes there were more, or just as many, albums released in other decades/years(what are we talking about?). It was also cheaper to be an regular music buyer/listener/collector. Unless you are willing to take the free music route of bootlegs and copys from friends ect. If that is the case then now is probably the best time for anyone to listen to free music and collect. Album sales have gone down for a number of reasons...... have album sales gone down??? I don't buy new music, so i wouldn't know.