fall Record Show conundrum (wfmu vs arc related)

coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
u can't go to both this yearwhich will u attendsorry atx, wfmu wins d.h. is an idiot, wfmu announced their date last yearwhy did arc switch from october to november ?damn !

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    u can't go to both this year

which will u attend

sorry atx, wfmu wins

d.h. is an idiot, wfmu announced their date last year
    why did arc switch from october to november ?

damn !

REALLY!

that's completely lame.
    i will have to choose this year.
    and i'm afraid for me (in a non-dealer sensibility) Austin wins.
    less elbows and "yo i copped this" mentality.

(DO NOT POST PHOTOS OF MY DEALER INITIATION/HAZING FROM THE LAST SPRING SHOW) haha!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

2 famous NYC dealers

which is our aleit ?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    what????

i haven't checked up on the dates lately...

did Doug really do this?????????

well...super foolish move. NYC hands down fellow babies.....

• aleit has a very nick the record-like appearance in that pic.

• I am feeling Steve's badge placement in this picture.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Just got off the phone with Doug Hanners and it is indeed true and doesn't look anything can be done about it.

He said the new owner of the venue screwed up and this was the only date available.

He didn't seem to think he would lose to many folks because of it but I think he is really only tuned in to the "old school" Bob Minor 45 crowd.

I explained that the younger diggers will probably choose WFMU, but he said there was no way to change it.

He did confirm there would be a '08 Spring Show but the date is not set yet.

• This is monumentally weak.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

this is the first time i would really think about going to austin
    i always skip fmu [too crowded/trendy/too competitive /i hate geeky record dorks at record shows ] and dig heavy that weekend locally[i historically make it a point to hit like 10 fleas that weekend].

anyhow i thought all the hot action at fmu is on the street outside the show at 6am on friday?
    hit that street thang/early entry on friday at fmu and then blast to texas fri night /sat morn
    but this year looks like texas might be really worth the trip as a non retailer/digger/civillian
    as a buyer it' ll be good that all the hardcore dudes are at fmu
    power to the people batchez
    can't have it all ...or can you?

• As a buyer, I wanna know, how will the dealers choose? I'm digging the idea of possibly increased elbow room for ARC, but that don't mean shit if all the heat is up North. Rock, where will the H***t/B*****g connect be?

As a buyer, I wanna know, how will the dealers choose?

as a dealer, i made more in a few hours on friday at wfmu than the whole weekend at arc

as a buyer, 40-50 new tables of records on saturday & again on sunday is also greater than arc

i'm not wealthy enough to choose the much better social event that is arc over the need to pay rent
    (or tuition)

"I hate geeky record dorks at record shows"

I suggest you stay home.

"I hate geeky record dorks at record shows"

I suggest you stay home.

don't listen to the Rock
    long time since i've seen ya at a show
    (8am on 19th street is when the party starts )

As a buyer, I wanna know, how will the dealers choose? I'm digging the idea of possibly increased elbow room for ARC, but that don't mean shit if all the heat is up North. Rock, where will the H***t/B*****g connect be?

Hotel Loopden will be in full effect.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

As a buyer, I wanna know, how will the dealers choose? I'm digging the idea of possibly increased elbow room for ARC, but that don't mean shit if all the heat is up North. Rock, where will the H***t/B*****g connect be?

hopefully i can be there this year.
    i had hoped to bring johnny from good records but i think he might be in treatment that weekend.

• As a buyer, I wanna know, how will the dealers choose? I'm digging the idea of possibly increased elbow room for ARC, but that don't mean shit if all the heat is up North. Rock, where will the H***t/B*****g connect be?

hopefully i can be there this year.
    i had hoped to bring johnny from good records but i think he might be in treatment that weekend.

There is no way I can go to Austin if WFMU is the same weekend.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

There is no way I can go to Austin if WFMU is the same weekend.

Yeah, that 3-drink-limit on a 6 hour flight must be murder for you

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I'll be in TX like always.

When the hell is Allentown???? I can't find info on the damn thing. Someone toss me a link here.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Forget the Allentown shit. I just found out it's March 24-25 and I'm already booked that weekend. Boo!

• There is no way I can go to Austin if WFMU is the same weekend.

I hear you.
    We should really begin to set-up the ultimate post-Friday WFMU blowout.
    On second thought, maybe make it Saturday night, as last time I was absolutely blizzered the following morn.

Let us now officially take the reins from the Texas-based Rockadelic Mafia and start a new tradition of blastation in NYC during the first week of November.
    I love all you Texas dudes, but this is the harsh reality for 2007.
    Hanners is stoned!!

• Yeah man, Saturday night is the move. That morning was too harsh. The shop will be open late!

Let us now officially take the reins from the Texas-based Rockadelic Mafia and start a new tradition of blastation in NYC during the first week of November.
    Hanners is stoned!!

Honestly, I was surprised to hear that WFMU didn't have the after show scene that we've been holding down for 15 years down here in Tejas.

Not gonna turn over any reins just yet, because we'll still be going strong down here Friday Nights at the Hotel Loopden.

Dave at FoS started a new tradition and hosted on Saturday night last show and it was a blast as well.

I hope next Spring a bunch of you can come down for some Home Cookin'/Tex-Mex/Beer/Margaritas and Vaporizer action.

And I hope next Fall I can come check out the WFMU scene.

"T" knows the score down this way so I'm depending on him to get it rolling in the same spirit up in the Big Apple.

I'm already bummin' that I won't get to see the ARC crowd this Spring for the first time since it began in '80.

If I promise to play game of Hacky-Sack Of Death against Harvey C. will it persaude a few of you to skip FMU and head South???

Hanners is stoned!!

Honestly, I was surprised to hear that WFMU didn't have the after show scene that we've been holding down for 15 years down here in Tejas.

for 15 years we've been having our after show during the show

but a saturday confab would work oh so better than friday (6am 19th street related)

wfmu is a more intense show, different fun than in austin, scurry fun !

• Yeah it's an adrenaline rush for sure.

Timmy you and I and the gentleman in Chicago should get cracking on this afterpurty... it's never too early to start (drinking).

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    ahem....after leaving too early last FMU....I would like to attend said drinking fiesta.

Thank you.

ahem....after leaving too early last FMU....I would like to attend said drinking fiesta.

Thank you.

Gonna miss you too A*r*n........

But I have a plan...

I'm gonna post a shitload of fake ARC finds....you know ......East Of Underground for $10.00, Skull Snaps for a buck, Lightmen for $5.00, First 13th Floor Elevators for $3.00...

Oh wait, those are all REAL finds from the last 2 years....

Imagine how sick my FAKE finds are gonna be...

JLR's head will explode.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

there is plenty of after show scene to 'FMU, it's just splintered... ie. no one is going to have a hotel party in nyc, dig?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

Thank you.

Gonna miss you too A*r*n........

But I have a plan...

I'm gonna post a shitload of fake ARC finds....you know ......East Of Underground for $10.00, Skull Snaps for a buck, Lightmen for $5.00, First 13th Floor Elevators for $3.00...

Oh wait, those are all REAL finds from the last 2 years....

Imagine how sick my FAKE finds are gonna be...

JLR's head will explode.

arggghhh...the conumdrum grows....Rock is there no way Doug will chage the date? Stupid question i know, but globally I think most travelling dealers will end up choosing NYC over Austin. Both are great shows, but i think if we have to compare we all do a bit better on both the buying and selling end in NYC.

and Rock...if i miss you already what will my pangs be like round November???? (definitively no ayo....but a touch of sadness yes.....)

• Honestly, I was surprised to hear that WFMU didn't have the after show scene that we've been holding down for 15 years down here in Tejas.

there is plenty of after show scene to 'FMU, it's just splintered... ie. no one is going to have a hotel party in nyc, dig?

Maybe you have it twisted... in Austin, there has been a longstanding party at one of the motels in the area where dudes just get together to play rarities, finds, swap, trade, floss, twist, smoke, drink, and make merry....

There is no such "scene" in NYC right now... I intend to foster something like it though.

There are plenty of DJ nights and rare groove type things going down around that weekend like always in NYC but not like the motel scene (at least, from what I've heard).

There is no such "scene" in NYC right now... I intend to foster something like it though.

There are plenty of DJ nights and rare groove type things going down around that weekend like always in NYC but not like the motel scene (at least, from what I've heard).

a bunch of us (6-10) go out to eat after the show, then, depending on who is staying where,
    some folks do listen to music,
    but,
    logostics & the show grind is so much greater than austin,
    there has never been a "happening"
    like the hotel party in austin
    in the past, cavestomp = 24 hour daze,
    the m.glass & good records attempts on fridays
    were too late for us friday am fools

i wonder if people would stay out as late & blow off sunday am action in austin
    if there were 40+ new tables of records arriving on sunday
    the 7am start on sat/sun along with the 100+ new dealer table action
    (& the 10pm+ ending on friday)
    makes the party scene end a bit earlier
    so
    we party like mofo's during the show, playing music & acting up

• Oh, some of us partied late Friday... and paid the price on Saturday.

I am down to do it again but would rather pay the price on Sunday - which, quite frankly, was pretty weak this past November. If there were actually 40 new dealers they weren't bringing anything much beyond boxes of $2 rock common yanni special or recent electronica. I was pretty disappointed and left around 1 pm.