Mall Of America Rockin' (proud of myself related)

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Ever have one of those sets that you wish you could have captured on tape. of course, it I was recording either I would make more mistakes or in playback I would learn it wasn't as great as I thought...ha. Anyway, I was pretty happy with how this set came out yesterday so I wrote it out to maybe duplicate it or parts of it someday/somewhere...DJ Nikoless at The Mall Of America (2-17-07) Live At Metropark (3:30-7:30 PM)Roy Ayers-Memories '76Minnie Riperton-Baby I Love You '75War-The World Is A Ghetto '72The Headhunters-If You've Got It, You'll Get It '75 (bootleg)Parliament-Supergroovalisticprosifunktication (The Thumps Bump) '75Parliament-Rumpofsteelskin '78Sly & the Family Stone-Luv n Haight '71Fred Wesley & The J.B.s-You Can Have Watergate '73Cameron-Funkdown '80Whole Darn Family-Seven Minutes Of Funk '76 (bootleg)Pieces Of A Dream-Mt Airy Groove (rap) '82 (MCs = Galaxy 5?)Trouble Funk-Drop The Bomb '82Rolls Royce-You're A Winner '80BT Express-Once You Get It '74James Brown-Cold Blooded '74Grace Jones-My Jamaican Guy '82Ike & Tina Turner-Game Of Love '71Labelle-Are You Lonely '74The Jackson Five-2, 4, 6, 8 '70Crash Crew-2-4-6-8 (Here We Are) '85Captain Rock-Cosmic Blast '84 (bootleg)Rockmaster Scott & The Dynamic 3-Its Life '82Davy DMX-One For The Treble '84The Boogie Boys-Breakdancer '85Unknown & Three D-Beatronic '84Two Sisters-B Boys Beware w/G.L.O.B.E '83Hashim-Al Naafiysh (The Soul) '83Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force-Looking For The Perfect Beat '82Twilight 22-Electric Kingdom '83Cybotron-Clear '83The Jonzun Crew-Pack Jam '82Freestyle-It's Automatic '86Freestyle-The Party Has Just Begun '85Rodney w/Joe Cooley-Your Chance To Rock '84Unkown DJ-808 Beats '85Secret Weapon-Must Be The Music '83Live-Strut Your Stuff '81 (anyone remember hearing this a parties in '81??)Tom Browne-Rockin Radio '83Yellow Magic Orchestra-Computer Games '79Jellybean-The Mexican '84Narobi & The Awesome Foursome-Funky Makossa (rap) '82Imperial Brothers-We Come To Rock '84Newcleus-Jam On It '84DJ Chuck Chillout-Rhythm Is The Master '89Shy D-Rap Will Not Die '85Whodini-We Are Whodini '84Ice T-The Coldest Rap '83Shock-Lets Get Crackin '81Instant FunkWhy Dont You Think About Me '82Bernard Wright-Master Rocker '81Evelyn King-Im In Love '81Carl Carlton-I've Got That Boogie Fever '81Jimmy Bo Horne-Dance Across The Floor '78BT Express-Can't Stop Groovin' Now, Wanna Do It Some More '76Pleasure-Joyus '77Slave-Life Can Be Happy '77Brass Contruction-Changin '75Side Effect-Always There '76Grace JonesPull Up To The Bumber [Larry Levan Party Version] '81A Taste Of Honey-Rescue Me '80Nice & Nasty 3-Ultimate Rap '80 [bootleg...although I once owned it in '80 /...]Grandmixer D.st & The Infinity Rapers-Grandmixer Cuts It Up '82Three Times Dope-Original Stylin '89Heather B-I Get Wreck '92De La Soul-Breakadawn '93Poor Righteous Teachers-Self Styled Wisdom '90Funkytown Pros-White Green '91King T-Ruff Rhyme '90Raheem-Dance Floor '88Double Trouble-At The Amphitheatre (bootleg...all 8 minutes of it...) '83Johnny Guitar Watson-Telehone Bill '80 (the man could rap...)Johnny Guitar Watson-Love That Will Not Die '77 (...and sing)Gil Scott-Heron-Superman (ain't no such thing) '75Quincy Jones-Listen (What It Is) '73Al Wilson-Be Concerned '76Dimples & Jackson-Love Come Tumbling Down ?? (no date on the 45, any info?)...and then I left to the next gig...

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    quite a comprehensive mix my man. Where was the mix broadcast? Over the entire mall's speaker system?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    yeah, were you in a snowsuit, or playing to preteens?

• thanx for the feedback. Metro Park is a "Trendy" clothing store. They have turntables set up in the store so it was just broadcast in the store and you can't hear in the mall walkway in the general vicinity.

• Too bad you had to play that music in a place where dancing would probably be impossible.

• ha...good point. There was actually frequent outburst of dancing from people of all ages. Even the older guy who "jokingly" asked me for some Frank Sinatra found himself doing a lil "number" to what might have been Cybotron, definitely in the electro section...ha

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    definitely in the electro section

There's an "electro" section of the clothes store??

• definitely in the electro section

There's an "electro" section of the clothes store??

uh...electro section of "the mix"...somewhere around here:

Unknown & Three D-Beatronic '84
    Two Sisters-B Boys Beware w/G.L.O.B.E '83
    Hashim-Al Naafiysh (The Soul) '83
    Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force-Looking For The Perfect Beat '82
    Twilight 22-Electric Kingdom '83
    Cybotron-Clear '83
    The Jonzun Crew-Pack Jam '82
    Freestyle-It's Automatic '86
    Freestyle-The Party Has Just Begun '85
    Rodney w/Joe Cooley-Your Chance To Rock '84
    Unkown DJ-808 Beats '85
    Secret Weapon-Must Be The Music '83
    Live-Strut Your Stuff '81 (anyone remember hearing this a parties in '81??)
    Tom Browne-Rockin Radio '83
    Yellow Magic Orchestra-Computer Games '79

then I could get all phlisophical and say electro isn't music "it's a state of mind" so whenever it's playing the whole store is the "electro section", but even i'm not that dramatic....ha

• It's awesome to have some of Soulstrut's finest rockin at Metropark on a weekly basis. Big shout to Cire, Enki, OM, Cashless, Nikoless, and many more who have come through. If there are any folks looking for a decent recurring gig, get at me. i have stores across the country. here are a list of stores... PM if interested.
    -tate

http://www.metroparkusa.com/store/locations