DJ Drama in the NYT

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Hip-Hop Outlaw (Industry Version)[/b]By Samantha M. Shapiro...six pages, so I didn't cut and paste.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yes, I was just about to post this. Gotta print that boy out to read.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He was set up. Shit is a conspiracy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hip-Hop Outlaw (Industry Version)[/b]

By Samantha M. Shapiro

...six pages, so I didn't cut and paste.

Not a bad primer article at all though the key question: why was Drama busted? basically repeats what Jeff Leeds wrote in the NYT a few weeks back. I'm glad and surprised to see the NY Times Magazine devoting a whole feature.

• word.

Willie the Kidd! Gun rule represent!

i agree w/ batmon, conspiracy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hip-Hop Outlaw (Industry Version)[/b]

By Samantha M. Shapiro

...six pages, so I didn't cut and paste.

Not a bad primer article at all though the key question: why was Drama busted? basically repeats what Jeff Leeds wrote in the NYT a few weeks back. I'm glad and surprised to see the NY Times Magazine devoting a whole feature.

Yeah, it's a good look, but there are a lot of factual errors.

Also, I really didn't care for this:

He allowed that he had ???got rich??? because of his reputation as a mixtape D.J., though he would not even admit to me that he actually sold mixtapes.

Seems like the writer has invented a reason to sneer at him just a bit when, in the context in which he used the phrase--"I got rich"--it is syntactically correct.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    word.

Willie the Kidd! Gun rule represent!

i agree w/ batmon, conspiracy.

!!!!!!

Beretta 9 is the worst rapper I ever heard in my life

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

He allowed that he had ???got rich??? because of his reputation as a mixtape D.J., though he would not even admit to me that he actually sold mixtapes.

Seems like the writer has invented a reason to sneer at him just a bit when, in the context in which he used the phrase--"I got rich"--it is syntactically correct.

Word. I think you could also make the argument that the phrasing reflects poorly on the writer as well, as he's trying to force a past perfective construction (i.e. by using had) where it isn't needed.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    He was set up. Shit is a conspiracy.

Explain.

• I had made fun of the guy's iPod King shirt, but I read the article in full.

That's really a mess. DJ's are going to do more digital distribution of their mixes, as MP3's or lossless files, and will those people have to face the consequences?

• i'd guess that if the Aphiliates didn't sell their mix cds, but offered them as free downloads, there would not be legality issues, even if they used unlicensed instrumentals. i really am guessing at this, but from a policy standpoint it makes sense, considering they wouldn't be profiting off of their mixes. on the flipside, the Aphiliates could continue to get paid by the record labels to promote their artists through these free downloadable mix cds. That sounds like a reasonable solution.