favorite funk 45 pic sleeves

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
????

Comments

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Are there many funk 45s with pic sleeves besides some reissues?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is
    Hunt's Determination "I Need Love" (Earwax),
    which I can post a scan of tonight.

• I have a couple Spanish issues of Philly funk bands, Nu Sound Xpress and Broad Street Gang with picture sleeves.

• right on, right on. top notch single.

I have a cool original Betty Davis pic sleeve for "If I'm In Luck...", a Last Poets pic sleeve too. The ones I've seen are groups/artists on larger labels. Also seems to be more common in Europe.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

Tons of european presses.

http://www.demonfuzz.com/singelbar.htm

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Yeah you gotta go European - Manu Dibango 'Salt popcorn', Vigon 'Frozen Steak popcorn', Rita 'Super erotica', Bobby Boyd Congress etc.

Take your pick from the demonfuzz link posted above.

• Are there many funk 45s with pic sleeves besides some reissues?

Yeah you gotta go European - Manu Dibango 'Salt popcorn', Vigon 'Frozen Steak popcorn', Rita 'Super erotica', Bobby Boyd Congress etc.

Thanks for the reminder (I almost forgot about this one):

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I wasn't thinking European. I like some of the JB's pic sleeves with the live shots on the demonfuzz site.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Not able to post pics, but this is a nice one: BENNYS BADEKAR (Fiasko Film 1970), funk45 (rare)(ost).

(Bl??kspruttesangen is the funky cut on this!)

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I have a couple Spanish issues of Philly funk bands, Nu Sound Xpress and Broad Street Gang with picture sleeves.

I posted this before (and I'll post it again!), but I'm pretty sure it's from spain, too. I love those crazy europeans and their 45 pic sleeves...

• chrischris 287 Posts

nice, that's the best track from the lp as well with no domestic issue.
    only one that came out in the u.s was "jive man"/mono.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Supposedly there were picture sleeves for Shelley Fisher's "I'll Leave You (Girl)". Alas, I have yet to see one.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Supposedly there were picture sleeves for Shelley Fisher's "I'll Leave You (Girl)". Alas, I have yet to see one.

I'd like to see that myself.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    borrowed this one from ehuffman some time ago.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    borrowed this one from ehuffman some time ago.

Wonder if anybody in the country where this was issued (NOT the U.S.) knew that that was NOT Bo on the sleeve...

As far as American issues, Billy Preston had quite a few pic sleeves during his 70's hit streak on A&M, as did War (on UA and MCA) during the same era.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Cool, just got that Herb Johnson for 5 bucks online.

djr, would love to see a scan of that Hunts Determination 45. Thanks!

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Here's the Hunt's Determination Band 45 pic sleeve:

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

nice, that's the best track from the lp as well

hell yes. best tune fo sho.

that is a fucking turbo picture sleeve!! i think the hunt's determination is ridin seriously high as well.

there really isn't that many 68-73 deepfunk picture sleeves though is there?? dante could drop some shit for sure. louischachere-thehen-sheetmusic havin ass.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    I was spinning some soul 45s tonight, and found this interesting picture sleeve I forgot I had. Not sure if you can make it out, but he has one handcuff on & his lady is pointing a gun at him. Not funk, but could very well work on a funk 45....

• djrdjr 511 Posts

and I would really like to see that louis cacher 'the hen' sheet music.

• and my favorite:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

(insert melting face here)

DAMN!! I'm all about the Thomas label, too, so that blows my mind. Anyone ever seen other pic sleeves for them - like a Jesse Anderson one? Or any St. Lawrence ones? A Johnny Sayles pic sleeve on St. Lawrence would knock me out.

I bid on eBay once for an OG Nathaniel Mayer pic sleeve 45 of "I Want Love and Affection (not the House of Correction)" on Fortune. Shit was raw. Not funk, but pretty close on the raw R&B tip. Unfortunately, some Big Dude outbid me by like $40, so I can't share a jpeg.