midweek finds

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Just a few-The Montclairs "dreaming out of season" on Paula (lovin this album, great soul lp)Taking Off- poetry and jazz (weird private lp featuring Jeremy Steig and Charles Tyler)Russ Vines and the Contemporary Music Ensemble- "gemini" dupe of a cool private jazz lpThe Moments my thing/I'm gonna miss you 45 on stang(nrr)a few lunchboxes for the collection- Trigger and Mike Mercurys Supercar

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Montclairs is such an amazing soul album. And give it up for the backgroudn vocals and violin plucks laced on "Do I Stand A Chance!"

Shit is straight fire!

As far as finds go, the past few days for me have sounded something like this:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yo Drewn, you know if the Montclairs have any more records? Anything else on Paula worth copping? On the back of the record theres pictures of a few really cool lookin records- Bobby Patterson and Thunderfoot Joy.

As far as I know (Guzzo adopted knowledge) it's their only full length LP?

However, they also have a handful of 45s on the same label?

yeah that's kind of what I suspected. most of their 45's are cheap but one of em goes for a chunk of change

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I found this on the weekend, but I gave a good listen to this small label, Los Angeles-based JOS record just tonight.

Might be a good idea to pick this up though, to peep their other output without 'putting out':

"Make up for lost time...The paula recordings 1971-74 @ CD Set"[/b]

• Options

Funk version of Hey Joe from West Indies. GOt 2.

Tight Calypso funk lp

mid tempo disco killer from Trinidad.

K.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Gemini Brass is bueno, I have their disco-y Star Trek cover one, I would assume it's their weakest, and it's still good...

• Options
    Blue cove with the spaceship? Yeah, that's not their best. Fairly prevelant within West Indian shops up here. Think that was made here in Toronto as was the albumj above.

K.

• Can - ege bamyasi US UA cheap and no skip

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Madelaine-Who Is She...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Finally got a record that Ive been looking for way too long,... the third Jazz Dancer album, In The Class Room, just drums and percussion....! ! !

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Finally got a record that Ive been looking for way too long,... the third Jazz Dancer album, In The Class Room, just drums and percussion....! ! !

Big congrats on that! Now you got the Jazz Dancer trilogy covered. I've never heard that third one. Is it good?

I just got two missing links in my collection today in the mail (good looking out GamleOle):

Groove Holmes "Onsaya Joy"

Joe Henderson "The Elements"

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Dollar find of the week:

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Big congrats on that! Now you got the Jazz Dancer trilogy covered. I've never heard that third one. Is it good?

I just got two missing links in my collection today in the mail (good looking out GamleOle):

Groove Holmes "Onsaya Joy"

Joe Henderson "The Elements"

Wazzub G,...pretty sure you got this one hoLMes, I might be wrong, but as far as I recall you had this biatch for years...(Rostvold, Perry Knudsen)
    Actually I still need the second album, The Jazz Dancer Revisited, so Im still one short...
    TUFF finds,... love the GrooveHoLMes, love the JoeHenderson....HUGE congrats mr GoldFingers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peace-og-jeg-er-out-ski

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Dollarbin Commonz:

Eugene Record-Welcome To My Fantasy

Eugene Record-Trying To get Next To You

Five Special-Five Special

Paul Kelly-Don't Burn Me

Major Harris-How Do You Take Your Love?

Kitty and the Haywoods - Excuse Me, I've Got A Life To Catch

SG

oooh, I just made "9.99 jawn" status!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Dollar find of the week:

plaese to send to memphis plaese...white whale

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dollarbin Commonz:

SG

I sold that Kitty and the Heywoods for over $20 a couple months back, and I think that Major harris is kinda raer too (1979 right?)

Whats the story on that Eugene Record LP? is it amazing or "eh"?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Yep, that Kitty was quite a find (although my copy is a bit rinked on the first cut on the first side). Not bad for a dollar, though. I'm really feeling the "Sweet Taste of Honey" track.

The Major Harris is indeed the 1979 one. Nice mellow disco soul of the modern variety.

Haven't gotten to listening to the Eugene Record records yet.

SG

Dollarbin Commonz:

SG

I sold that Kitty and the Heywoods for over $20 a couple months back, and I think that Major harris is kinda raer too (1979 right?)

Whats the story on that Eugene Record LP? is it amazing or "eh"?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In the mail today, besides my Soul Strut donation package (word!), and I'm listening to and loving right now:

Great story to this one, it was brought up in a thread last week about the S/T LP, and I realized I needed this...that night I Googled it by just catalog #, and found dude selling it on his website for $3.00!! I ordered it, crossed my fingers it was legit and clean, and it came today, all shiny OG cover and minty wax!
    Dude had like 300 LP's listed, all $1 - $3, but almost all were junk - besides the Kool & the Gang I got these two, all 3 shipped for a total of $9.25:

...this is all dialogue from the film, perfect for my radio steez, and on the copy from dude the dope Bogie cover is minty, unlike the jpeg...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

plus some other common records (debare, vaughn mason, superfly mint-up etc.) for around $50.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    SUPER FINDS DAY!

i want that Paul Mitchell lp.

pretty sure you got this one hoLMes, I might be wrong, but as far as I recall you had this biatch for years...(Rostvold, Perry Knudsen)

Actually I still need the second album, The Jazz Dancer Revisited, so Im still one short...

Yes, sorry I misunderstood. I do have that third one. It's the second one (revisited) I'm missing just like you. Can't go wrong with Rostvold

found dude selling it on his website for $3.00!!

Nice one!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

i really dig that cover of whats goin on

good joint there

el chicano is the illy

and i found quite a few rare latin pieces... most are on ebay, i kept a few

i actually have a stack of about 350 to still go through

a few more-

Eddy Senay- step by step (sussex)
    Buddy Montgomery- this rather than that (impulse)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I found a good accountant!

Oh and these, on my way to his office

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    SUPER FINDS DAY!

i want that Paul Mitchell lp.

TheMack, that LP is as dull as dirt.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Good shampoo, though