What to make of this? (suicide attempt related)

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
My Mom called me last night to say that one of my older cousins had walked out to a bus stop in the main street of the city, poured kerosene all over herself & set herself on fire. She is now in ICU at hospital. I think I will put a "get well soon" card in the mail for her tomorrow, hopefully she will be able to read it. That is some reasonably serious crying for help. My Mom was pretty shook by it all, but I haven't really been close to my cousin since I was little. Seems like a horrid way to try & end it though. (Obviously no ways are ever really not horrible though I guess).

Comments

• chasechase 767 Posts
    fuuuucccccckkkkk

she needs some real help

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    at that point its no longer a cry for help; once an actual attempt has gone that far they are not looking just for the attention.

I wish her the best in her mental and physical recovery. Heres a website that can offer some understanding into what she was going through and what you may be able to do to help

http://www.focusas.com/Suicide.html

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    In my uninformed opinion, she sounds like she might have some mental health issues. Schitzophrenia and other infirmities are hard to get a grip on, but when diagnosed, can be treated to varying degrees of effectiveness. No doubt if she makes it, she'll be put through a battery of tests to determine what drove her to this. I'm sorry to hear about this, and my best wishes are with your family. Let's all hope for answers.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah she has had (does have) some mental health issues relating to some shit from the past, I definitely feel that something/someone failed her along the way. I hope things work out, not really for me, but more for the way this sort of thing impacts family members that I am closer to.