(NRR) B.S. OF THE UTMOST

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    there was an another asian kid at my high school who was listed as "funny looking guy". i mean, yeah, he was kinda funny looking, but that aint right. anyways, dude got free yearbooks for the next 3 years.

and NO, it wasnt me.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Come on, she's the only 'black girl' in National Honor Society at her school, so she's probably the only 'black girl' in all of her classes. Everybody in the whole school probably knows her damn name...I'm just relieved it didn't say anything worse, because teens can be malicious little fucks.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    damn what a bunch of asshats

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    poor girl, that sucks

Oh shit, take a look at the cover of the yearbook!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    asshats

awesome!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

ok, dudes...am i the most naive person in N America? how does this shit pass for acceptable?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

ok, dudes...am i the most naive person in N America? how does this shit pass for acceptable?

It's Texas.

Not quite the same thing.

(cue: Archaic defending Texans' rights to discriminate, shoot guns, rape donkeys, execute people, drink, or whatever else is "bona-fide americana that us big city slickers don't get")

in pekin, IL [that's illinois /] the high school's mascot was "the chinks". as in the bucktoof chinaman.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

No shit. I was doing a little research trying to find information about the Akwesasne Notes and the Indian slave trade. I refreshed soulstrut and read the article, then clicked on the slideshow, and when I got to that picture I thought I somehow got bounced to a cover of the book I was looking for (which I thought was pretty weird). Then I realized it was the cover of their fucking yearbook (which I thought was pretty weird).

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    unbelievable and disgraceful.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

what a surprise it's in texas...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hell, we had a case up here in the MilwauKKKee area (of Waukesha) where the fire chief approached a Black man fishing and said, "you gotta get your nigger-ass out of our town." While being interviewed on T.V., the said fire chief referred to Blacks as "colored" while denying any wrongdoing. Gotta love Milwaukee, haven of cultural diversity, racial tolerance, and high intellectuality.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    But ya'll got Dan Gadzuric..!

I mean, that's gotta count for something, right?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    That's some fucked up shit. Usually they have students on the yearbook staff doing all this shit so I wouldn't be suprised if this was just some h8ah shit. They probably didn't put anything worse cos they knew that it could be traced back to them so they thought of that placeholder bullshit.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

"He's a good minority because he plays professional basketball." It's kind of how White women smile at me and/or speak when I'm walking with my dog around the neighborhood in the morning. Any other time, they're clutching their purses. It's all conditional, my brutha!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Aw man, I wasn't even trying to get serious with that. I just thought it'd be a funny juxtaposition to your post. On point observation though!

Aw man, I wasn't even trying to get serious with that. I just thought it'd be a funny juxtaposition to your post. On point observation though!

Hey Drew,

I used it as yet another opportunity to smear MilwauKKKee. It's easy to do!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Come on, she's the only 'black girl' in National Honor Society at her school, so she's probably the only 'black girl' in all of her classes. Everybody in the whole school probably knows her damn name...I'm just relieved it didn't say anything worse, because teens can be malicious little fucks.

...but she's also the only black girl in the photo. Speaking as someone who worked on more than one school yearbook, the layout staff sometimes put temporary descriptors in place of unidentifiable students for the sake of mock-ups. This was the first thing I thought of when I heard this thread topic - that a placeholder was left in by accident.

If you are a yearbook editor (and especially if you're a Senior who has no idea who the underclassmen are), then what (other than "African-American Girl") would you put in, in this case, as a placeholder? (I always used to put "XXXXXXXX," so I'd come back to the space.)

Often, clubs and groups and teams don't meet your layout deadline for credits for their respective section, and you have to hunt down the folks yourself. Sometimes you forget to fill in the blanks in the thousands of names. It happened before to one of my past schools' yearbooks. And hasn't one of us been left out altogether of a photo cap?

Really, folks - from personal experience - it's probably not a racial joke being played here. It's a bit strange that it seems as if all the other kids are identified, but calling a possibly forgetful kid an out-and-out Racist is a step that should probably be investigated first.

Now as for the cover (is that really it? Jeezus)...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

...but she's also the only black girl in the photo. Speaking as someone who worked on more than one school yearbook, the layout staff sometimes put temporary descriptors in place of unidentifiable students for the sake of mock-ups. This was the first thing I thought of when I heard this thread topic - that a placeholder was left in by accident.
    If you are a yearbook editor (and especially if you're a Senior who has no idea who the underclassmen are), then what (other than "African-American Girl") would you put in, in this case, as a placeholder? (I always used to put "XXXXXXXX," so I'd come back to the space.)
    Often, clubs and groups and teams don't meet your layout deadline for credits for their respective section, and you have to hunt down the folks yourself. Sometimes you forget to fill in the blanks in the thousands of names. It happened before to one of my past schools' yearbooks. And hasn't one of us been left out altogether of a photo cap?
    Really, folks - from personal experience - it's probably not a racial joke being played here. It's a bit strange that it seems as if all the other kids are identified, but calling a possibly forgetful kid an out-and-out Racist is a step that should probably be investigated first.

That's how it was in my yearbook class, too. This punk rock dude showed up in one of my yearbooks as Sid Vicious. I'll bet anything that there were some silly little students responsible for this. I'm sure it's happened before, just didn't catch media attention 'cause it wasn't race-related. (Maybe Bam could gather a bunch of ol' punk rock dudes to rally against the Sid remark?)

Herm

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

the pride and joy of Westwood!

• Rubbishvisual and I were at the Oregon Small Business Association yesterday and the 70+ year old volunteer talking with us used the phrase "...he wouldn't stand a Chinaman's chance of..."

As soon as he left the room, Jeigh and I looked at each like

• Rubbishvisual and I were at the Oregon Small Business Association yesterday and the 70+ year old volunteer talking with us used the phrase "...he wouldn't stand a Chinaman's chance of..."

As soon as he left the room, Jeigh and I looked at each like

co sign

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Shig is in Pekin, IL? Nice! I would visit Morton (outside city limits on a farm)often when I was a kid.

As for the yearbook shit... Honestly, I'm not surprise... Prob a product of my jaded disilliuioned outlook on things.

Ordinarily I would agree with you but how do you remember to include some chick named 'Shawna Cleaver' and forget 'Black Girl's' name?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    That's how it was in my yearbook class, too. This punk rock dude showed up in one of my yearbooks as Sid Vicious. I'll bet anything that there were some silly little students responsible for this. I'm sure it's happened before, just didn't catch media attention 'cause it wasn't race-related. (Maybe Bam could gather a bunch of ol' punk rock dudes to rally against the Sid remark?)
    Herm

ASSHOLE! THAT WAS MY FRIEND.

[color:white](page me)
    vanguardsquad.com/soulstrutish/punkazfukstagedive.jpg
    [/color]

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

lol!!!!!

Shig is in Pekin, IL? Nice! I would visit Morton (outside city limits on a farm)often when I was a kid.

As for the yearbook shit... Honestly, I'm not surprise... Prob a product of my jaded disilliuioned outlook on things.

nope. had a cousin that was dating a dude from pekin and he'd always bring that shit up at family functions. needless to say, the family didnt care for him much.