Let's talk about that 4% paypal charge

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
generally i am a generous non petty fair guy when it comes to doing businessi never charge the winners of my auctions the 4% paypal feebut i haven't sold much sutff over 3-400 dollars range so it is just some other monolithic scumbag taxing me do you charge peeps the 4%?I know it's against ebay rules to do so or to say it in your auction.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I know it's against ebay rules to do so or to say it in your auction.

Then why would you do it?

If people don't adhere to the rule, then some people end up getting hit on both ends, as both buyer and seller.

If you don't like paying for the service, then don't use it.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    generally i am a generous non petty fair guy when it comes to doing business
    i never charge the winners of my auctions the 4% paypal fee
    but i haven't sold much sutff over 3-400 dollars range so it is just some other monolithic scumbag taxing me

do you charge peeps the 4%?

4%?? Isn't it like 2.5% or something?? And as the price goes up I think the rate goes down?

Either way, you are pretty much stuck with it and there is no way around it that I know of. If you say 'no paypal' you are basically saying 'wealthy international bidders, please ignore my auctions'.

Some people charge extra on shipping and I'm sure that's why they do it although everyone hates the sellers who over charge shipping so that's not recommendable either..

I have a friend who says he has a paypal personal account with no fees on transactions. I vaguely remember having this also when I started out. I tried to set up an account for my wife to see if I could get one but when someone sent her money they took their cut... but again, he says he has one. Maybe he's grandfathered in or something like my friend who still gets 4 netflix for the price I pay for 3.

The combined cut of ebay & paypal does suck... since they are the same company and it's virtually a monopoly although there is Bidpay which I've never looked in to and it seems no one else has either.

Pray for Google to come along and institute a free or nearly free payment system supported by AdWords that takes off like paypal did..

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Paypal fees are a pain, but in the end I think it is more than worth the minor hassle. I can't imagine going back to waiting weeks for money orders to arrive or personal checks to clear.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The real move, and the only one I can see that is viable at the moment is to give incentives to people paying by paypal that is less than it costs the person to win, yet less of a hit to the seller than the paypal fee. Doesn't really mean people will jump on it, but it's an option.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

If people don't adhere to the rule, then some people end up getting hit on both ends, as both buyer and seller.

i didn't do "it "
    furthermore don't scold me, mr record geek drill sargeant

this was an open discussion

do you work for paypal happy?

stop acting like you know everything
    shit is old

• do you charge peeps the 4%?

Ew...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i didn't do "it "
    furthermore don't scold me, mr record geek drill sargeant

this was an open discussion

do you work for paypal happy?

stop acting like you know everything
    shit is old

Did I accuse you of doing it?

I asked you why you would do it.

And, again, one doesn't need to know everything to know what the right answer is here. It's not a "tax". It's a service charge. You don't like the terms of the service agreement? Then don't use the service... or attempt to screw buyers that do play by the rules.