HEATWAVE "TOO HOT TO HANDLE" APPRECIATION

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
one of the great r&b albums ever... do people even RECOGNIZE how big this schitt was when it hit the skreets in '76? boogie nightsaint no half steppinlay it on mesuper soul sistertoo hot to handleand of course the all time slow drag classic ALWAYS AND FOREVER so many great songs!!! and to perhaps make this thread interesting to the whites, feel free to slurp the great ROD TEMPERTON this man changed pop music... this album was the precursor to Michael Jackson's "OFF THE WALL" and "THRILLER" feel free to add on with your appreciative words, batches. any hatters want to hatt on this CLASSIC, LEGENDARY soul offering? now's your chance!

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Central Heating is no slouch, although not as hit filled. A very listenable record right thurrrr in Too Hot To Handle. Hits galore, never thought about it that way. And on Central Heating, Star of The Story is a good slow knock boots chune.

• Central Heating is no slouch, although not as hit filled. A very listenable record right thurrrr in Too Hot To Handle. Hits galore, never thought about it that way. And on Central Heating, Star of The Story is a good slow knock boots chune.

oh HELLS yeah! i was gonna make it just a Heatwave Appreciation thread and include some of those Central Heating jams too, but i decided to just appreciate Too Hot To Handle this time because that schitt hit like a

when it dropped

• BTW, star of the story may be my all-time favorite Heatwave joint, much as i love all of the Too Hot To Handle lp

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    these 2 albums are
    I won't be parting with them any time soon.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

boogie nights
    aint no half steppin
    lay it on me
    super soul sister
    too hot to handle

this album was the precursor to Michael Jackson's "OFF THE WALL" and "THRILLER"

All You Have To Do Is Dial.

The Falsettos on that album are bananas. Its not canonized like other lps of its time. Maybe because in didnt crossever/blow up on the pop charts. Black Radio was blazing and still blazes most of the album.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    BTW, star of the story may be my all-time favorite Heatwave joint

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    star of the story may be my all-time favorite Heatwave joint
    its up there on all-time mellow groovers for me too

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    so necessary

i remember when i found this i thought it would be 'ok' but i have played it out many a time.... 'aint no half steppin' always works for me

• Its not canonized like other lps of its time. Maybe because in didnt crossever/blow up on the pop charts. Black Radio was blazing and still blazes most of the album.

Boogie Nights was a huge pop hit... made it to #2 on the charts. Always & Forever was pretty big with the pop audience, too. I don't know how far the whole album went on the pop charts. It was CRAZY big with the black folks, though. I'd go so far as to say that it was Young Jeezy big!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This was always a record I cringed at, and flipped past with a fury. Maybe I'll give it a listen next time.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Listening now... re-evaluating.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This was always a record I cringed at, and flipped past with a fury. Maybe I'll give it a listen next time.

Have you ever seen it sealed or mint?

• Whats the flip on the aint no half steppin 12" ?
    i just remember its areal pretty song (ballad?) that i
    slipped up and didnt record before i traded it away.
    I dont think its on too hot to handle, is it?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Listening now... re-evaluating.

Solid record. Harmonies are unfuckwitable. That scene in House Party when Martin Lawrence serenades "Always and Forever" out of key is classic.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Have you ever seen it sealed or mint?

Most of the coppies I've seen have been mad skated skeeted on -- it's that type of record. The ladies go wild (softly) for "Always and Forever."

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "Always and Forever."

school dance classic. it was always this or stairway to heaven to end the night.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

one of the great r&b albums ever... do people even RECOGNIZE how big this schitt was when it hit the skreets in '76?

boogie nights
    aint no half steppin
    lay it on me
    super soul sister
    too hot to handle

and of course the all time slow drag classic ALWAYS AND FOREVER

so many great songs!!!

and to perhaps make this thread interesting to the whites, feel free to slurp the great ROD TEMPERTON

this man changed pop music... this album was the precursor to Michael Jackson's "OFF THE WALL" and "THRILLER"

feel free to add on with your appreciative words, batches. any hatters want to hatt on this CLASSIC, LEGENDARY soul offering? now's your chance!

Every good collection should include this LP!!! And yes, Rod Temperton is the genius behind the classic late 70's/early 80's Quincy Jones Productions LPs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    "Too Hot To Handle" is a classic lp.

Side A is flawless

"Super Soul Sister" is my shit

"Lay it on me" is that real grown man schitt

"Aint no half steppin" is perfection

"Always & Forever" is in the top ten all time slow jams

Boogie Nights > Groove Line

Central Heating ..

Mind Blowing > Star of the Story