What's your preferred version of "SUNNY"?

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
there are so manythis one is greathttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNp87WqYHM

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The version on this album:

Dancefloor madness!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    James Brown & Marva Whitney w/ The Dee Felice Trio

• there are so many
    this one is great
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNp87WqYHM

Of course, this one (by Bobby Hebb) is great - it's the original, and was the first thing on my mind when I read the thread title.

Beyond that, Moms Mabley and Bill Cosby's versions are good for a giggle.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    A** W*******

Japanese people know the deal!

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Marvin's version just kills it

• Mine's on a private press LP out of Minneapolis by Lorna Michaelson called "Lorna's Here" on Oxboro Records. I'll try and scan but this version is as good as the Bruce Westcott Trio's. Very bouncy piano trio with great soulful female vocals.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    there are so many

James Brown & Marva Whitney w/ The Dee Felice Trio

yes. and i like Les McCann's fast and slow takes on it, too.

i think the original is my favourite.

• Bobby Bland

• Not sure if this got mentioned on the last Sunny posts but here's a brief background on the song (form wikipedia):

Hebb's parents, William and Ovalla Hebb, were both blind musicians. Hebb and his older brother Harold performed as a song-and-dance team in Nashville, beginning when Bobby was three and Harold was nine. Hebb performed on a TV show hosted by country music record producer Owen Bradley, which earned him a place with Grand Ole Opry star Roy Acuff. Hebb played spoons and other instruments in Acuff's band. Harold later became a member of Johnny Bragg and the Marigolds. Bobby Hebb sang backup on Bo Diddley's "Diddley Daddy". Hebb played "West-coast-style" trumpet in a US Navy jazz band, and replaced Mickey Baker in Mickey and Sylvia.
    On 23 November 1963, the day after John F. Kennedy's assassination, Harold Hebb was killed in a knife fight outside a Nashville nightclub. Hebb was devastated by both events and sought comfort in songwriting. The song he wrote was the optimistic "Sunny":
    "All my intentions were just to think of happier times ??? basically looking for a brighter day ??? because times were at a low tide. After I wrote it, I thought "Sunny" just might be a different approach to what Johnny Bragg was talking about in "Just Walkin' in the Rain".
    "Sunny" was recorded in New York City, which resulted in a tour with The Beatles for Hebb. It is one of the most covered popular songs, with hundreds of versions released. BMI rates "Sunny" number 25 in its "Top 100 songs of the century".
    "Sunny" has been recorded by, among others, Boney M, Cher, Georgie Fame, Johnny Rivers, Frank Sinatra with Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, the Electric Flag, The Four Seasons, the Four Tops, Wilson Pickett, Les McCann and Dusty Springfield. One cover, a disco version called "Sunny '76" was a hit for Hebb in that year.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Not sure if this got mentioned on the last Sunny posts but here's a brief background on the song (form wikipedia):

Hebb's parents, William and Ovalla Hebb, were both blind musicians. Hebb and his older brother Harold performed as a song-and-dance team in Nashville, beginning when Bobby was three and Harold was nine. Hebb performed on a TV show hosted by country music record producer Owen Bradley, which earned him a place with Grand Ole Opry star Roy Acuff. Hebb played spoons and other instruments in Acuff's band. Harold later became a member of Johnny Bragg and the Marigolds. Bobby Hebb sang backup on Bo Diddley's "Diddley Daddy". Hebb played "West-coast-style" trumpet in a US Navy jazz band, and replaced Mickey Baker in Mickey and Sylvia.
    On 23 November 1963, the day after John F. Kennedy's assassination, Harold Hebb was killed in a knife fight outside a Nashville nightclub. Hebb was devastated by both events and sought comfort in songwriting. The song he wrote was the optimistic "Sunny":
    "All my intentions were just to think of happier times ??? basically looking for a brighter day ??? because times were at a low tide. After I wrote it, I thought "Sunny" just might be a different approach to what Johnny Bragg was talking about in "Just Walkin' in the Rain".
    "Sunny" was recorded in New York City, which resulted in a tour with The Beatles for Hebb. It is one of the most covered popular songs, with hundreds of versions released. BMI rates "Sunny" number 25 in its "Top 100 songs of the century".
    "Sunny" has been recorded by, among others, Boney M, Cher, Georgie Fame, Johnny Rivers, Frank Sinatra with Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, the Electric Flag, The Four Seasons, the Four Tops, Wilson Pickett, Les McCann and Dusty Springfield. One cover, a disco version called "Sunny '76" was a hit for Hebb in that year.

thanks
    life is so bittersweet
    i hope got paid he seems like a nice guy

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The Bobby Bryant Sextet has a cookin' live version of "Sunny". Also, don't forget about the Earl Grant jawn.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• There is a nice jazz version with a soprano sax lead, does anyone know who does this?

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Not sure if this got mentioned on the last Sunny posts but here's a brief background on the song (form wikipedia):

released. BMI rates "Sunny" number 25 in its "Top 100 songs of the century".

They forgot Mitchum.. his version not without its charms.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Modern Soul heads should be up on the version on this album

produced by Roger Troutman

• Ferrante & Teicher
    John Gregory
    Living Jazz
    The Brass Ring
    Fairfax High School Marimba Band

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yambu
    kay dennis and......

pat martino!!!!!!

• A** W*******

Japanese people know the deal!

Are you talking about the version that was on the Nippon Breaks mix? What version is that?

• Four Tops

• I always liked the version on this album:

• got to be Ray Fernandez from his RAY AND HIS COURT lp

• that's my wife and I's song, we had a bossa trio play it for our first dance when we got married.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    James Brown's version is my favourite. I do like Bobby Hebb's original though and on a more disco tip Yambu's version is great. Still want to hear Hebb's Sunny '76, his own disco take on the song. I don't care how bad it is (and I'm pretty sure it is) I just want to hear it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The song he wrote was the optimistic "Sunny"

that is until Hampton Hawes did his version - lol.
    it goes from tentative to angry with a bit of a freak-out near the end that is akin to someone losing their shit. it's Shelly Manne on drums and his playing is downright stern in places. i love Hawes, but his version of Sunny is pretty dark and not very heartening - which is fine, but Sunny's charm is its ease and hope. and in the case of JB's version, sexiness.

• the Neopolitans (from milwaukee) recorded it and put it out on a 45...it's the shizzle 4 rilz

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I'll second the Neopolitans' version.

I like The Head Shop take on the tune myself.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The Bobby Bryant Sextet has a cookin' live version of "Sunny". Also, don't forget about the Earl Grant jawn.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo,

The interlude at the beginning of this joint is from The Bobby Bryant Sextet version of "Sunny."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak