New Orleans / Good Ole Boys

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Just watched "Top Gear" which is a TV show here in the UK about all things car related.Anyway, this week, the theme was US fly/drive with a twist. The three presenters wanted to see if it was possible to drive from Miami to New Orleans by each *buying* a car in Miami for $1,000 or less and hoping it stayed together long enough to make it to Louisiana, where they were going to sell their cars.They had "Challenges" to do along the way. One was to paint things on the sides of each others cars and see what reaction they got to "MAN-LOVE RULES OK", "HILARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT", "NASCAR SUCKS", "COUNTRY AND WESTERN MUSIC IS RUBBISH" in Alabama. Turns out it was ultimate NAGL and one female gas station owner called a truck full of Good Ole Boys over (shirtless rednecks) who began to stone the camera crew... Do other members of the strut actually live in *this* country?But what did it for me was when they got to New Orleans. I couldn't believe the fucking state of the place. Miles and miles of carnage. It was like the hurricane happened yesterday. Here, that would be turned round in a couple of weeks - please to realheadz - Why has nothing been repaired? McDonalds restaurants still wrecked and not making dollars - WTF - the US is the richest nation on Earth by a long way.They *gave* the cars away at the end, but even then, someone wanted to sue them for $20,000 for quoting the Camaro as a '91 (as they were told in Miami) when it was an '89 and then some locals with guns told them to get the cameras of their fucking street. I just want to shake my head at the moment.The Strut seems one of the few positive things about the US right now.

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i recommend visiting the US
    basing your opinions on observations and experience
    and limiting your television intake in the meantime

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm going to fly to England tomorrow, rent a car, and write Churchill is a fairy on it, with a squirrel taking a dump on the Union Jack on it. We'll see how well that's received.

• i recommend visiting the US

I agree. The U.S. has a lot of problems like any other country, but seek the people and you'll find some incredible stories, and hopefully some good memories to take back with you.

(My original reply was longer than this, but by the time I submitted it, it said my post was no longer valid. Maybe for the better.)

• I'm going to fly to England tomorrow, rent a car, and write Churchill is a fairy on it, with a squirrel taking a dump on the Union Jack on it. We'll see how well that's received.

You would probably get very little reaction at all....

People in the UK(Not just England) seem to lack the jingoistic patriotism that appears to abound in the US.

The "King/Queen and Country" attitude seemed to die here sometime in the late 60's early 70's to be replaced with more of an "I'm all right Jack" mindset...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Oh, yeah, no nationalism in the UK alright

• Oh, yeah, no nationalism in the UK alright

I didn't say there wasn't any merely that it certainly doesn't manifest itself in the way that it seems to in the US or be as widespread...

• Top Gear is a great show. Their shows are interesting, well written, have great cars, and one of their personnel recently has been in a coma/ rehab after crashing a rocket-powered dragster at 275mph or something. Talk about

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I'm going to fly to England tomorrow, rent a car, and write Churchill is a fairy Frank Lampard sucks donkey dick[/b] on it, with a squirrel taking a dump on the Union Jack on it Wayne Rooney's jersey[/b]. We'll see how well that's received.

...but to your point about NO, yes it is a shame.

• I'm going to fly to England tomorrow, rent a car, and write Churchill is a fairy Frank Lampard sucks donkey dick[/b] on it, with a squirrel taking a dump on the Union Jack on it Wayne Rooney's jersey[/b]. We'll see how well that's received.

Now that is more likely to get a reaction...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was trying to think of someone soccer wise, but I could only think of Beckham and that tall fucker, neither of which are seemingly agreed upon in the UK.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    I was asking about why no-one has fixed New Orleans, not looking for a fucking fight.

Perhaps I should have been more succinct:

"Why has no-one fixed New Orleans? / Some folks have no sense of humor."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"Some folks have no sense of humor about New Orleans - guess why."

B/W

Maybe some residents of the US don't want to hear how we're all
    rednecks for the 10,000th time and that "the Strut seems one of
    the few positive things"

• Louisiana happens to be one of the most corrupt states in the US, which is one of the many reasons the city hasn't been repaired as quickly as we'd like. I was a student at Louisiana State University during the hurricanes and lots of my friends lost their homes and I know there are a few Strutters from NOLA too. I'm sure they could tell you the insurance money is slow to come through due to the amount that has to be paid out. Not to mention all the people that just aren't coming back, in which case you have a destroyed house, and no one to claim it or sell it, giving the city limited options with what to do with it other than leave it. There are 500 other reasons as to why the city isn't being rebuilt faster, some of which are more conspiracy theorist than others--but there you have it.

As for rednecks, they do exist. Just as certain as big-toothed men who think cross-dressing is the only way to do humor exist in the UK.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    i recommend visiting the US

Been plenty. Had some great times. Never really seen this side of it in 2007, that's all. Sad to see it still exists. Aren't you?

"No sense of humor" was directed at the rednecks, not N.O. I don't think the hurricane was funny either. Nor men with big teeth in women's clothing.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    It was like the hurricane happened yesterday. Here, that would be turned round in a couple of weeks - please to realheadz - Why has nothing been repaired? McDonalds restaurants still wrecked and not making dollars - WTF - the US is the richest nation on Earth by a long way.

You think that if Manchester or Birmingham was leveled you'd have it turned around
    in a couple weeks? That's daft! Having so much faith in your lap-dog government
    seems like a tall order to me.

As far as southern attitudes, we've had 10 pagers on the fact that much of rural
    America from coast to coast (not just the south) is ass-backwards and intolerant.
    Check the red vs. blue map?
    Urban counties=blue
    Rural/Suburban counties=red

Also seems pretty high minded to think your average British compatriot isn't the
    English equivalent of the "American Redneck". Chavs, fanatic footballers, drunks pissed
    at their local and so on and so on.