Recording Music on to a MAC

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
So the PC is history in my house. I bought a iMAC last night for home and plan to use it primarily for recording music. I've been using Garage Band on my lap top and it's good for what it is.. but I was looking for something a little more grown and sexy. My impression of Pro Tools is that it's for professionals and you need a big G5 Tower to get down. I was looking for sounthing like Sonic Foundry's ACID... but I see that Sony gobbled them up and am not able to find even a MAC version of it. I am rambling.What are my options foo!?

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Do you have a sound card?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

My impression of Pro Tools is that it's for professionals [color:#666666] and you need a big G5 Tower to get down. [/color]

Nah! I'd go with Pro-tools.
    If it's for drums recording session, this is perfect.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    pro tools=industry standard will easily run on your laptop/tower and you can mix your home made tracks in a "real" studio that has pt

i hate the way it sounds-dodoo on a stick and cold

logic-owned by MAC now-a real pain in the ass to use and un logical as hell
    a finely honed technical program that will do everything but is unusable without the manual/memorizing perfunctory steps everytime you make a move
    a true german nightmare

nuendo=bingo -sounds great and it is very intuitive and super fun to use
    my fave

sound forge just started multi track recording

audacity is free and it works fine

as you well know shityy is pretty-see those super on point articles gabe roth penned in big daddy issues 4-5

dude i know you are recording drums/funk
    you will never get that butter tone without tape.
    even if you usea cassette 4 track it will be waaay more authentic than anything you convert into 1s and zeros in slow tools.
    also many studios /people are offing unused 8 track 1/2 inch and 1 inch machines for cheap in favor of pro tools.
    i have a tascam tsr-8 and it sounds like a studer!!

there is no comparison ,especially for drums

• nuendo=bingo -sounds great and it is very intuitive and super fun to use
    my fave

Mega

But is there a straight Mac OSX version? I run my PC version through boot-camp, but that feels unholy and I??d rather have a mac version to avoid the lag. Oh and I??d also rather not pay the DIZZYING amount of money it costs... so any help on this?

Cheers

- J

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

nuendo=bingo -sounds great and it is very intuitive and super fun to use
    my fave

Mega

But is there a straight Mac OSX version? I run my PC version through boot-camp, but that feels unholy and I??d rather have a mac version to avoid the lag. Oh and I??d also rather not pay the DIZZYING amount of money it costs... so any help on this?

Cheers

- J

yes it will run on 10.2 or higher
    i have a legal copy that has been lisenced to 2 computers
    i don't have a cracked copy
    if i did i would send it to you........really

• one of my old bands recorded two LPs on a apple laptop(cant remember what kind...G4?) with pro tools...drums, bass, guitar, horns, strings, vocals..ya dont need a ridiculous amount of firepower...just a bunch of hard drive space...

• Check out Logic Express or Pro Tools. If you got one the new iMacs, it will run either of them like champ...
    Logic Express is nice because you can use any audio input, vs Pro Tools you gotta have the Digidesign (or M-Audio, if you have Pro Tools M-Powered) hardware... But PT is the gold standard... Logic is dope because it has notation, recording, loops etc, and PT is pretty much straight up recording, they have put new MIDI stuff in, but it doesn't seem like it is as good for looping/software instruments... Plus Logic Express is only $300... Get a decent USB or Firewire audio input with Mic-Pre-amp and you are good to go!
    Just my 2 cents!
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

logic-owned by MAC now-a real pain in the ass to use and un logical as hell
    a finely honed technical program that will do everything but is unusable without the manual/memorizing perfunctory steps everytime you make a move
    a true german nightmare
    That Logic shit looks scary. On the surface it looks way too advanced.
    Thanks for further convincing me to NOT spend a grand on that software

• I guess it really depends on what you are doing:
    If you are just recording vinyl to MP3 then hell, Audacity or Audio HiJack Pro is sweet too...
    If you are recording a band or MCs: Pro Tools is hard to escape, cuz it works, I agree it sounds tinny/digital but you can use a lot of ways to get some good analog warmth to your mixdown...
    Has any one used the Mackie Tracktion deal? Also MOTU products are good...
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• pro tools=industry standard will easily run on your laptop/tower and you can mix your home made tracks in a "real" studio that has pt

Even Primo switched over!
    Digidesign DigiZine