Guitar Instramental Lp?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
My co - worker is trying to remember an album he listened to as a teen. It was an instramental album done by a guitarist. 74/75 ish. The album cover is abstract image. Monochrome black/soft form image. He used reverb/echo effects. British or American?

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    marc ribot is my ass guessing, but im not sure if he did solo stuff that early. any word of a record label?

• could it be the 'Upchurch' LP on Cadet?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    could it be the 'Upchurch' LP on Cadet?

Cover sounds right, but its too early and not solo gtr, correct?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Its kinda spacey guitar. We were listening to Shuggie Otis and he said it reminds him of this Lp.
    Atmospheric Jeff Beck steelo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

A record for the ages. Trower grew from his roots in Procol Harem to find his way with this early seventies power trio. The strong vocals of James Dewar and Trower's signature guitar licks could carry this vehicle all the way to the stars if necessary. The sustained, whammy bar aided Stratocaster sound and the changes in melody and timing make each song a suite in itself at times. The soft, almost organic images of the front and back cover along with the eastern style font of the cover text make this a very recognizable cover. A little blues with a psychedelic bent and some British soul thrown in for good measure.

Found it.

• I was going to say that one, but it has vocals.

I was hoping it wasn't that one, too. From what you described, the mystery album sounded way more interesting.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Cover is Francis Bacon sculpture. A realhead could tell you which one...

• i see that album in dollar bins all the time... what's strange though is that the picture on the cover shown here is upside-down compared to the chrysalis version.