Folkways related soul question (doug and dave ..)

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
OK, there is a compilation Folkways released in 1965 called:Roots: The Rock and Roll sound of Louisiana and MississippiComp features some early 60s rock and roll stuff, but also some really nice soul tunes from that time.Now, I'm not really an expert on soul music, but there are a couple artists on this comp I'd like to get some more music from. Mainly "Doug and Dave" and "Maxine Thomas". All of the artists on the comp apparently recorded for "Lynn Productions", whoever/whatever that is.Checks on google and eBay have yielded not much. Did those two recorded anything other than on this comp? I'd like to grab some 45s if possible (and if they're not that rare).Doug and Dave - Going SteadyMaxine Thomas - Rome Wasn't Built In A DayGive me some time and I'll have some sound clips if needed.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    OK, there is a compilation Folkways released in 1965 called:

Roots: The Rock and Roll sound of Louisiana and Mississippi

Comp features some early 60s rock and roll stuff, but also some really nice soul tunes from that time.

Now, I'm not really an expert on soul music, but there are a couple artists on this comp I'd like to get some more music from. Mainly "Doug and Dave" and "Maxine Thomas". All of the artists on the comp apparently recorded for "Lynn Productions", whoever/whatever that is.

Checks on google and eBay have yielded not much. Did those two recorded anything other than on this comp? I'd like to grab some 45s if possible (and if they're not that rare).

Doug and Dave - Going Steady
    Maxine Thomas - Rome Wasn't Built In A Day

Give me some time and I'll have some sound clips if needed.

Great records. Been years since I had a copy. Aren't the Cookies on that?

Can't help with the 45s.

• I also don't know anything about other releases but thanks for sharing the audio. Nice tunes both. How hard a pull is the folkways LP?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I also don't know anything about other releases but thanks for sharing the audio. Nice tunes both. How hard a pull is the folkways LP?
    I'm not sure how hard it is to pull, but I think it's a $20-40 LP on eBay.