The Myspace Downfall

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
anyone here notice no one talks about Myspace that much anymore? maybe its them not talking or me not talking about it. i barely go on. i get spam all day and requests from non-existent people. comments from people with shitty CDs pretending they know my first name...its going down!

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i really really really hate myspace. could never get over those nasty static backgrounds.

its all too sloppy.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    anyone here notice no one talks about Myspace that much anymore? maybe its them not talking or me not talking about it. i barely go on. i get spam all day and requests from non-existent people. comments from people with shitty CDs pretending they know my first name...

its going down!

Honestly, thank God. Shits annoyin the hell out of me.

Sure I have one (or two) but damn, it's so frustrating because of all the spam shit.

Im tired of seein chicks who look the same. Dudes who call me a "damsel". Bands that drink too much Schlitz.

FUUUUUCK!!!

Myspace = bullshit.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    bthav,

is that monkey smellin his butt? Thanks.

Love,
    elise

• I deleted my account months ago. I have a friend who lived-and-breathed myspace and even she deleted her account.

• i'm only on myspace and facebook for shameless self promotion (come see me DJ) and for me that's alot easier to do on facebook. i only log into myspace a couple times a month

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    The Decline of the MySpace Suburban Gangster. Y'alls aren't even ahead of the curve. That kid with the bloodz getup and shooter is all about making them RWMz

signed, Mike Fuegocracker

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I've got one gramlen for you

Obviously you're not 12 year old girls! My fiance's kid is talking about myspace every damn day like it's the centre of the known world.

• making them RWMz

i don't understand

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    making them RWMz

i don't understand

Reeel Wurld Moves

• Yeah ... the site is way too oversaturated to be helpful for anyone. I still use it for my band for occasional emails but I find it to be of little use for promotion. The "invitation" option is pointless ... you get so damned many of those that noone actually looks at them anymore. And the process for "inviting" a large amount of people to an event is so poorly programmed (it takes a ridiculous amount of time) that its just not worth the effort. And "bulletins" ... again, you get so many that you stop looking at them.

Great idea for a minute but its seen its day.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    facebook=myspace4smartpeople

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    facebook=myspace4smartpeople

i started a facebook but cant browse so i cant see who i know

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    bthav,

Love,
    elise

x1000

• in terms of music promotion, i still think that if your 'friends' are all or mostly people who found you/asked to be your friend, then sending them a bulletin that you are either releasing something or doing a show or whatever is still valid - even if you say that 50% of the friends dont care whatsoever because they were just trying to get as many friends as possible, its still has some value - a totally free way to get the word out to people who may care about your muzak.

that having been said, the flood of spammy web-hoes is nasty. (people its bad)

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    bthav,

Love,
    elise

x1000

cute.

a hallmark moment.

x a-gagillion

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i get spam all day and requests from non-existent people. comments from people with shitty CDs pretending they know my first name...

I have almost 300 pending friend requests because of that shit. It's ridiculous.
    "YO COME CHECK US AND OUT AND LEAVE A COMMENT!" Who has time to sift through all that mess?

NAGL

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I have almost 300 pending friend requests

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I have almost 300 pending friend requests

I think you mean

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I really never got into it, but i sense that it is about to be done.

• I've actually found it useful for reasons outside of store and gig promotions. Just last week I messaged an old friend from LA who I haven't spoken to in 5 years. We spoke on the phone last night. I like myspace for that reason.

• getting waaaaaay more friend requests lately!? peace, stein. . .

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Is there a way to set Safari preferences (Mac-related) so that, for instance, MySpace cannot be viewed? I would love to do this. I have a girl from work over from time to time, and since she doesn't have the Internet, sometimes she goes on MySpace. I wouldn't really care, except that I like to run my laptop audio through my stereo. I'm listening to a nice iTunes playlist, and she's on the net, when these shitty shitty songs from stupid MySpace come in over the top of the mix, always at a super-loud volume. She couldn't ever find the mute fast enough. And it kept happening over and over again. However, I maintained my patience, but it was killing my vibe.

Still, I would love to take the passive-agressive approach and just block this site, and then just play dumb when she can't get it to load. Heh heh.

• I've actually found it useful for reasons outside of store and gig promotions. Just last week I messaged an old friend from LA who I haven't spoken to in 5 years. We spoke on the phone last night. I like myspace for that reason.

Exactly. I live abroad, and it helps keeping in touch with people I like that I don't get to see much, now that nobody seems to bother with e-mails anymore...

- J

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    It has its uses. I use it to holla at my overseas peeps and its way useful for gettin all the local crew along to whatever party is on. I think its all relative I mean if its like the centre of your world then thats just sad. Its not like its Soulstrut or anything...

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    it has been good and it has been bad. People have found me, I have found people and some people I hope to never find and I hope they never find me. I checked my page for the first time in a month just the other day. The friend requests and comments are just stupid. Im pretty much done with it I think.

take that shit to classmates.com

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Not going down, getting bigger every day by around 18,000 people. The early adopters might be getting bored of it but then the rest of the world is just catching on. I hate it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    My girlfriend was on my computer last night...
    checked her comments and got a link to download "Profile Watcher 2.0".
    So of course, being computer illiterate, she clicks on it and inadvertantly installs some spyware trojan horse shit on my computer. I think I got the shit clean but its a pain in the ass once that shit infects windows. Your machine is never the same until you wipe it clean and start over.

Fuck myspace.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's very good to me business wise, and the occasional catching up with someone I haven't seen in 20 years, but that's about it. But then again, what else would you use it for? Are you a kid or are you an adult?

• Is there a way to set Safari preferences (Mac-related) so that, for instance, MySpace cannot be viewed?

read

• Not going down, getting bigger every day by around 18,000 people. The early adopters might be getting bored of it but then the rest of the world is just catching on. I hate it.

My mom just got a myspace account - me and my sisters are done with that place.

SONIC