Ceasar Frazier's "Sweet Children" (Sample-related)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I noticed that Kanye West used Frazier's "Sweet Children" for Common's "Real People" (great choice) but in the liner notes for the Be LP, it also says the same song was used on the title track. 1) I don't hear any part of "Sweet Children" on "Be"2) "Be" samples a string section. There are no strings on the entire Frazier LP. A typo? If so, it's listed twice since the writing credits on "Be" also name Frazier.And what's strange too is on "Real People," the credits have Frazier in the writing credits but there's no mention of the clearance (presumably b/c they did it already).Nothing big here, just curious.

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    O -

Can't help you out on the query, but am interested in your opinion of 'Be'? Haven't come across your musings on-line and/or in print as of yet and was curious...

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    I was wondering the same thing. Ive seen this before but never knew y they did it. Does it maybe save them money some how?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    O -

Can't help you out on the query, but am interested in your opinion of 'Be'? Haven't come across your musings on-line and/or in print as of yet and was curious...

While I admired what Common was trying to do on Be, song for song, the album never hit the right stride until the end. I loved "Be," definitely was into "The Corner," but "Go" is just plain terrible - a corny song with a corny hook and corny beat. Period. Both "Faithful" and "Testify" had great production but weak lyrics and "Love" isn't nearly as inane as "Go" but it comes close. "Chi City" was surprisingly dull and I don't know why they replaced the studio version of "The Food" with the tinny, lo-fi live version recorded on The Chappelle Show. Big disappointment. The last three songs were fantastic: loved "Real People," "They Say" and "It's Your World Pt. 1" was great but "Pt. 2" (with Pop's rap) was unlistenable. That's 4.5 great songs vs. 6.5 that I'd sooner skip past. Not exactly Illmatic.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I don't know why they replaced the studio version of "The Food" with the tinny, lo-fi live version recorded on The Chappelle Show. Big disappointment.

SERIOUSLY

I haven't listened to the whole album yet but based on what I've heard nothing on the album is even touching the studio version of The Food

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    the only good thing bout putting the live version on there is that it has way more energy and i think its actually a lil bit faster tempo wise.

JKriss

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    This kind of crap happens a lot when you get flop lawyers involved with clearing samples (no rawpower). I just saw the liner notes of the John Cena album and I think these flops cleared the wrong record altogether for one of the songs I did. I could imagine whoever the Dionne Warwick publishing listening to the song sitting there baffled. Getting paid for nothing.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    the only good thing bout putting the live version on there is that it has way more energy and i think its actually a lil bit faster tempo wise.

And this to me justifies it being on there. I thought the studio version was zzz after first hearing the live version.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I noticed that Kanye West used Frazier's "Sweet Children" for Common's "Real People" (great choice) but in the liner notes for the Be LP, it also says the same song was used on the title track.

1) I don't hear any part of "Sweet Children" on "Be"
    2) "Be" samples a string section. There are no strings on the entire Frazier LP.

A typo? If so, it's listed twice since the writing credits on "Be" also name Frazier.

And what's strange too is on "Real People," the credits have Frazier in the writing credits but there's no mention of the clearance (presumably b/c they did it already).

Nothing big here, just curious.

Before anyone shits on me, I haven't heard the song or the sample....

Does the clearance say "used a sample" or "used portions" or does it refer to an interpolation or "contains elements".

If the string is actually a sample (I don't know, I'm making this assumption) and Kanye didn't replay it...

It's possible he sampled someone who was doing a cover of the Ceaser Frasier song. Since Ceaser Frasier owns the publishing on it, it would still be his name listed. What you have to list is part of the clearing process and can depend on the artists demands.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    ^^^ the thing is, its just kind of a coincidence that hea ctually samples the ceaser frazier song on a different track.

JKriss

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I don't know why they replaced the studio version of "The Food" with the tinny, lo-fi live version recorded on The Chappelle Show. Big disappointment.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Does the clearance say "used a sample" or "used portions" or does it refer to an interpolation or "contains elements".

If the string is actually a sample (I don't know, I'm making this assumption) and Kanye didn't replay it...

It's possible he sampled someone who was doing a cover of the Ceaser Frasier song. Since Ceaser Frasier owns the publishing on it, it would still be his name listed. What you have to list is part of the clearing process and can depend on the artists demands.

Here you go man - I threw in the original after the first verse.

http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=22YZ1O1X8NYRI2HP0I3TVC6WVF

I thought this was some Crusaders record this whole time cause I knew it sounded familliar and had that clean sound to it. I traded it away and happened to find a VG copy again yesterday.

As far as the beat goes, did Kanye even do anything to that shit but throw a kick underneath? I need to be getting paid for beats like this. "Sure, you can have it for $50,000. I'm feeling generous today".

I gotta disagree with your review though, Oliver.

I agree, "Chi-City" and his pops at the end are kind of weak and "The Food" I have yet to listen to cause the quality is so shitty, but the rest of the album, lyrics included, is one of the better Hip Hop records i've heard in quite a while. I also haven't been checking much Texas rap though so what do I know.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Day,

Thanks for the clip but I think you misunderstood my question. I have the Frazier LP and obviously, "Real People" uses "Sweet Children." But in the credits for the Be LP, it says that "Be" (the title track) uses "Sweet Children" and I don't hear that ANYWHERE in Frazier's song. I wondered if it wsa some kind of typo except that in the writing credits for "Be", Frazier is also mentioned.

The thing is: there are no strings on this Frazier LP so if "Be" interpolates or samples part of his album, the strings must come from elsewhere.

And I stand by my opinion that "Be" has been insanely overrated and that it's about half a really good album and the other half is, at best, "eh" with moments of downright "ugh".

Oliver

Here you go man - I threw in the original after the first verse.
    http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=22YZ1O1X8NYRI2HP0I3TVC6WVF

I thought this was some Crusaders record this whole time cause I knew it sounded familliar and had that clean sound to it. I traded it away and happened to find a VG copy again yesterday.
    As far as the beat goes, did Kanye even do anything to that shit but throw a kick underneath? I need to be getting paid for beats like this. "Sure, you can have it for $50,000. I'm feeling generous today".

I gotta disagree with your review though, Oliver.
    I agree, "Chi-City" and his pops at the end are kind of weak and "The Food" I have yet to listen to cause the quality is so shitty, but the rest of the album, lyrics included, is one of the better Hip Hop records i've heard in quite a while. I also haven't been checking much Texas rap though so what do I know.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Oliver,

I understood your question completely. I posted that clip for Moss who said he hadn't heard it yet.

I have no clue why it's like that in the liner notes. I need to give both of those songs a side by side listen but if I remember correctly, "Be" has a live bass, synth and then the string sample comes in, right? I don't remember hearing that sample in "Sweet Children" either.

SOMEONE CALL THE HIP HOP COPS

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    is it just me or is that synth really, really out of place on "Be"??? next to the other sounds it just does not work.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    the "Be" beat is just straight REDUNCULOUS, PERIOD!!!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    is it just me or is that synth really, really out of place on "Be"??? next to the other sounds it just does not work.

At first I thought that same thing, but I like the contrast and how it ends up all coming together when the beat comes in.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I like the contradiction in sounds. The synth kind of reminded me of what it would've sounded like if Madlib produced it.

I have the CD here and I noticed the inclusion of the sample credit. Perhaps, as it has been commonplace in recent years, it was put there so people think that there is a credit, when it's the wrong credit. Perfect example is the recent Mary J. Blige album, where there are credits for samples that aren't there, or wrong samples by a certain artist. It tends to make people think all samples were cleared when it's the beat or string sample that the producer is flaunting.

• The synth kind of reminded me of what it would've sounded like if Madlib produced it.

Which reminds me... anyone heard from el sparko?