Bands/Artists that DID NOT do a Disco song/album

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
So who did NOT give in to the Disco Fever of the late 70's?Artuhur Fiedler, Ethel Merman, Kiss, Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones, Lionel Hampton, the Sesame Street gang.....they all did disco albums. What artists, who were around and recording at the time, had the presence of mind to fend off Disco Fever? (obviously, Punk Rock bands and blatantly Anti- Disco bands arent to be included in this).I'll start it out....Charles Mingus never made a disco album.

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    AFAIK, George Harrison did not make a disco album or single in the late 70's...

• Ted Nugent, Rush, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, The Who, Led Zep (In Thru The Out Door does not qualify), Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, Van Halen (came out in 78) and that's off the dome.....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dinco D

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Van Halen (came out in 78)

VH had a couple of Disco-ish tunes....On Fair Warning and Women and Children First.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Joan Baez

She has an album from 1979 that has a weird proto-rap
    disco-ish song ... the one where she's dressed like a
    pilot on the cover...

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    The Sex Pistols
    Lee Hazelwood
    Pat Boone??

Alice Cooper,

Alice Cooper Goes To Hell

The Sex Pistols
    Lee Hazelwood
    Pat Boone??

Sex Pistols - see qualifiers (actually, see The Black Arabs cover on the Great Rock and Roll Swindle lp).
    Lee Hazelwood - not farmiliar enough.
    Pat Boone - I bet he did one....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm trying to think of soul artists.

Undiputed Truth?

Stevie Wonder, songs like Do You Do and Jammin were straight up Stevie songs even if they work in a disco mix. I can't think of disco song he did.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Stevie Wonder, songs like Do You Do and Jammin were straight up Stevie songs even if they work in a disco mix. I can't think of disco song he did.

The most disco-like Stevie tune I could think of is "If You Read My Mind" off of Hotter Than July.

SG

• Mr Sandman by Undisputed Truth sounds disco-ish enough to me to call it disco
    Carl Craig even re-edited it recently under his Moxie Disco Edits label

im not sure if its best call but Stan Getz never did any record with disco rhythm

• Joan Baez

She has an album from 1979 that has a weird proto-rap
    disco-ish song ... the one where she's dressed like a
    pilot on the cover...
    seen. hi-larious

• I'm trying to think of soul artists.

Undiputed Truth?

Hell yes, buddy,they went disco! I'm thinking of their 1976 hit "You + Me = Love," although I'm sure everything they did up to the end on the Whitfield labelhad a disco feel.

Try Otis Clay. That guy has been pretty consistent in the 40-plus years he's been making records. But from what I've heard, the disco bug never bit him. I have a single he did on Kayvette in 1977, you'd expect it to have a disco-ish production based on the year, but no, he was like the last holdout.

• Lee Hazelwood - not farmiliar enough.

When the disco boom hit, was he still making records?

And even if he was, would you EXPECT him to make a disco record? Some aging soul act I can see having to go in that direction, but Hazelwood??

"Once, I was very unhappy and chagrined about the fact that everything was disco. Unless you were doing these really repetitive things with a disco feel you didn't have a chance. So, I got with a producer named Norm Ratner and a guy named Bob Gilpin who had a disco record called 'Superstar.' It was my idea to take some standards like 'Night & Day' and do them disco-style. We were going to shop it around to a record label as a group called TBA. It didn't happen because just when we were about to put it out, there was a headline: 'Disco Is Dead!' Somebody declared that disco had had it. So Uni dropped the project."

---Pat Boone, interviewed in Roctober magazine, 2000[/b]

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Lee Hazelwood - not farmiliar enough.

When the disco boom hit, was he still making records?

And even if he was, would you EXPECT him to make a disco record? Some aging soul act I can see having to go in that direction, but Hazelwood??

"Once, I was very unhappy and chagrined about the fact that everything was disco. Unless you were doing these really repetitive things with a disco feel you didn't have a chance. So, I got with a producer named Norm Ratner and a guy named Bob Gilpin who had a disco record called 'Superstar.' It was my idea to take some standards like 'Night & Day' and do them disco-style. We were going to shop it around to a record label as a group called TBA. It didn't happen because just when we were about to put it out, there was a headline: 'Disco Is Dead!' Somebody declared that disco had had it. So Uni dropped the project."

---Pat Boone, interviewed in Roctober magazine, 2000[/b]

Funky Funky Boone: Unreleased Disco Modern Soul Gold From The Uni Vaults!

Aaron Fuchs needs to get on this.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was just pricing a Clifton Chenier record with the song Disco Zydeco.

I also have a cajun rap record.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I was just pricing a Clifton Chenier record with the song Disco Zydeco.

On Maison de Soul, right?

• Tony Joe White's disco album on Casablanca is surprisingly good, in a left-field kinda way...especially when you consider that it came out a little too late (1980) for the trend.

(I'm not making this up, either - when he played Chicago back in November, I had him autograph this 12" disco single from the album. I interviewed him some years back, and he referred to his Casablanca LP as "techno swamp!")

• I need to hear that record. Anything with "Left Field" attached to it will prick my ears.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Tony Joe White's disco album on Casablanca is surprisingly good, in a left-field kinda way...especially when you consider that it came out a little too late (1980) for the trend.

Is that the one with "Do You Wear a Garter Belt?"

• Tony Joe White's disco album on Casablanca is surprisingly good, in a left-field kinda way...especially when you consider that it came out a little too late (1980) for the trend.

Is that the one with "Do You Wear a Garter Belt?"

No, that was from his 1983 LP, Dangerous (on Columbia). And that was supposed to be his COUNTRY album!

(He still performs "...Garter Belt" live, BTW...)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Led Zep (In Thru The Out Door does not qualify)

I always thought Trampled Underfoot had a kind of disco-ish feel to it. Obviously it pre-dates the disco era and, realistically, it's probably more an attempt at a Superstition-type vibe, but that's probably as close as they got to anything you could comfortably call disco.

• VH had a couple of Disco-ish tunes....On Fair Warning and Women and Children First.

NAME THEM. Women came out in 1980 and out side of "So this is Love" the album is very arena rock, while Fair Warning has the very bluesy "Push Comes to Shove" it would never be considered something for the DAnny Terio set.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The dead did shakedown street which is pure disco. The Clash did the Magnificent Seven. If only disco was that rough and rugged.

• Funky Funky Boone: Unreleased Disco Modern Soul Gold From The Uni Vaults!

Aaron Fuchs needs to get on this.

• VH had a couple of Disco-ish tunes....On Fair Warning and Women and Children First.

NAME THEM. Women came out in 1980 and out side of "So this is Love" the album is very arena rock, while Fair Warning has the very bluesy "Push Comes to Shove" it would never be considered something for the DAnny Terio set.

It may not have been disco, but I know their cover of "Dancing In The Streets" was dancable. If you play "I'll Wait" on 45, it's Lil' Jon.

• Try Otis Clay. That guy has been pretty consistent in the 40-plus years he's been making records. But from what I've heard, the disco bug never bit him. I have a single he did on Kayvette in 1977, you'd expect it to have a disco-ish production based on the year, but no, he was like the last holdout.

Yeah, I can't think of any real disco he did, but I think he skipped
    the disco and went electro: check out the "Love Bandit" single from
    1983, with the "vocoder version" on the B-side. Just wait until the
    pop-lockers and the electro-trash party kids find out about this one.

• It may not have been disco, but I know their cover of "Dancing In The Streets" was dancable.

C'mon dude - I know some of yall can't never be wrong, but cotdamn. So anything danceable in 1980 was a disco record?

It may not have been disco, but I know their cover of "Dancing In The Streets" was dancable.

C'mon dude - I know some of yall can't never be wrong, but cotdamn. So anything danceable in 1980 was a disco record?

That opening bass part on Push Comes To Shove is a BIG TIME disco sound. Thats the one I was thinking about.

I actually wouldnt call that cover of "Dancing..." disco at all. Disco has a sound.