"The Power Call"

catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=4470Bad Boy???s Shawn Prez Connects DJ???s With The Power CallBy Jayson RodriguezDate: 6/6/2005 4:11 pm DJ???s on cusp of success, don???t worry, you???re just one call way. Former senior director of promotion for Bad Boy Records, Shawn Prez, has created the Power Call, a weekly conference call consisting of the industry???s top turntablists, as well as upstart wax handlers and guest speakers, in an effort to give voice to the community of DJ???s. ???This power call is a great forum for DJ???s,??? Prez, CEO of Power Moves Inc, told AllHipHop.com. ???[These guys] aren???t formatted or playlisted; so they have the ability to play what they want, when they want???their feedback is genuine and dictates trends. ???Quite frankly, it???s the realest talk in the streets,??? he added. Once a week, a range of club and mixtape DJ???s take part in the Power Call, which features topics ranging from new technology to techniques to dealing with promoters. The conversations are as varied as the DJ???s who participate, from underground dwellers to more mainstream spinners. ???The best thing about the call is the intimacy,??? said DJ Irie of Miami???s 99 Jamz. ???The intimacy in this call, keeps it moving. Everyone is heard. People actually pay attention. Anything anyone brings up becomes a topic of discussion. It???s not all about what record is gonna be hot, it???s about things that matter in our industry???it goes across the whole spectrum of things that matter to our culture.??? Past guest speakers have included high-profile DJ???s such as Funkmaster Flex and rappers Pitbull and Saigon. In addition to artists, corporate entities like AOL Music also have taken part in the Power Call. Network opportunities abound. The call gives a DJ???s a chance to have two-way conversations with guests and a forum to offer suggestions and receive criticism or suggestions. After online giant America Online introduced the concept for a mixtape channel, many of the DJ???s on the call not only assisted in crafting the channel but now have their own shows with AOL. ???It???s incredible for networking,??? said Irie, who has been participating for the past 5 months and is one of the DJ???s working with AOL. ???I???m definitely in a better place since day one of that call.??? For more information on the Power Call check: www.PowerMovesInc.com.

Comments

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    i feel like "the power call" deserves one of those blinking red Commissioner Gordon phones under glass or something...

• ???Quite frankly, it???s the realest talk in the streets,???

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Quite frankly, it???s the realest talk in the streets,"

"The best thing about the call is the intimacy,"

I like the juxtaposition of these two statements.

• "Quite frankly, the most intimate thing about talk in the streets is the reality"

• ???Quite frankly, it???s the realest talk in the streets,??? he added.

Quite frankly, it sounds like some stupid ass scheme to control the airwaves.

Last time i checked hip-hop wasnt some underground artform, but the one of the most powerful forces in music and advertising out there.

"Quite frankly, the most intimate thing about talk in the streets is the reality"

Do I detect the hatterific tone of somebody who hasn't been included on the powercall?

???Quite frankly, it???s the realest talk in the streets,??? he added.

Quite frankly, it sounds like some stupid ass scheme to control the airwaves.

Last time i checked hip-hop wasnt some underground artform, but the one of the most powerful forces in music and advertising out there.

Quite frankly, you're mistaken.

This is the realest most intimate thing happening in the streets right now.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "Quite frankly, the most intimate thing about talk in the streets is the reality"

Do I detect the hatterific tone of somebody who hasn't been included on the powercall?

I waited all night by my princess phone... but the call, it never came.

• "Quite frankly, the most intimate thing about talk in the streets is the reality"

Obviously these reps haven't immersed themselves in the DJ/turntablist scene[/b] and are just calling this one in, while simultaneously patting themselves on the back for making tastes.

I waited all night by my princess phone... but the call, it never came.

Deepstank awaits a powercall:[/b]

Obviously these reps haven't immersed themselves in the DJ/turntablist scene[/b] and are just calling this one in, while simultaneously patting themselves on the back for making tastes.

No, son, I think you're just confused about the true meaning of street intimacy.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    mixshow djs, college radio djs, and club djs have been doing this for as long as i can remember.

we had these type of calls when i was up at gavin in 95.

this isnt anything new...

stupid motherfuckers....

• Is this like the rap version of the Nintendo Power Hotline?

• Is this like the rap version of the Nintendo Power Hotline?

that shit got me in trouble back in the day. i still remember it: 1-206-885-7529.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    After online giant America Online introduced the concept for a mixtape channel, many of the DJ???s on the call not only assisted in crafting the channel but now have their own shows with AOL.

and speaking of this... i did this for MTV in 2000. you can probably go and find it still... there was a Turntablist/DJ radio show and a Mixtape show, plus Classic Hip-Hop, Old School Hip-Hop, Party Jams, etc...

and on top of it since im bitching right now anyway... fuck CMC and Chuy for taking the name "The Beat Lounge" for their stupid fucking show... i came up with that name back in the mid-90s when Derrick and I started up tuesdays again after Apollo left the club with his Many Styles night... and fuck Apollo too for claiming that he came up with that name in a magazine article i read... bunch of fucking biters...

bullshit bitch ass nukkas...

• stupid motherfuckers....

I know you ain't talkin' to me!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Is this like the rap version of the Nintendo Power Hotline?

that shit got me in trouble back in the day. i still remember it: 1-206-885-7529.
    oh my god i remember that number too. those mufuckahs must have made bank off my stupid ass.

!!!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    After online giant America Online introduced the concept for a mixtape channel, many of the DJ???s on the call not only assisted in crafting the channel but now have their own shows with AOL.

and speaking of this... i did this for MTV in 2000. you can probably go and find it still... there was a Turntablist/DJ radio show and a Mixtape show, plus Classic Hip-Hop, Old School Hip-Hop, Party Jams, etc...

and on top of it since im bitching right now anyway... fuck CMC and Chuy for taking the name "The Beat Lounge" for their stupid fucking show... i came up with that name back in the mid-90s when Derrick and I started up tuesdays again after Apollo left the club with his Many Styles night... and fuck Apollo too for claiming that he came up with that name in a magazine article i read... bunch of fucking biters...

bullshit bitch ass nukkas...

Alright Bay 'Strutters, which one of you forgot to give the bitter ol' man his medication?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    ???[These guys] aren???t formatted or playlisted; so they have the ability to play what they want, when they want..."

Past guest speakers have included high-profile DJ???s such as Funkmaster Flex and rappers Pitbull and Saigon. In addition to artists, corporate entities like AOL Music also have taken part in the Power Call.