Best Show You've Seen in a While

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Last night I caught Pharoah Sanders in Los Angeles. Photobucket - Video and Image HostingDude killed it and brought the house down when he broke into "Creator has a Master Plan" for the encore. Complete with Leon Thomas-esqe singing.....Amazing. Best Jazz show I've ever seen.What shows have you guys seen lately that have been amazing?

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    THe wife and I cuaght 30 Rock the other night. Pretty good.

PS Budos band in PDX on feb 20. Looking forward to that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

TEENARAMA.....

A Black Teen dance show in the late 60's to 70 in D.C. A real good doc came on PBS last night.
    The Tv show had a radio show where teenagers would sit around and rate records live on air.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Local Reggae & Hip-Hop show here in Santa Cruz. First few groups were god awful, think reggaeton sounds bad on the radio? Wait till you see two amateurs do it live

Then a reggae group came on...forgot their name already and I can't find past info online...but they killed it, drummer was so on-point as a bandleader.

Then dudes from this local band, Nobody's Own come on, I had never heard of them...and they absolutley tear shit up. The best local band I've ever seen, anywhere I've lived. The female vocalist has a crazy good voice and can flow better than most female emcees I've heard. Not calling her Lauryn Hill but she was on fire. Peep their myspace, though they are way better live which is always a good sign:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=940672

Only bad part of the show was this gigantic blonde girl kept falling onto the stage and trying to grab performers and the microphone...she managed to get up on stage and start singing some bad-kareoke sounding shit before the DJ came and pulled her off.

• i caught this Music of Miles Davis show prolly last spring or so, with Jimmy Cobb on drums dood was still tearin it up
    they opened with So What and second set with All Blues , just like on the kind of blue album!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    last Friday: 4hero, dobie & jazzanova.
    There was unfortunately only little live performance and a lot of djing, but it was still great. Forthcoming 4hero LP should be a nice one.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Count Bass D

But man, I am jealous of you----would love to see Pharoah Sanders live

• I saw the black lips last friday night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3eoW5EWeA

I had a blast!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    dj quik last summer at house of blues with

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Virgin Island Roots group Midnite

Murdered shit

super long dubbed out songs with crazy effects...Just what i needed

before that

Roots Manuva

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    boot camp clik - Sean Price is a superstar!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The Monks

• The Monks

Oh man ... gotta be my favorite rock band ever.

Midnite

If you like slow paced roots reggae, there's none better than them. Vaughn Benjamin's vocals are heavy. But check the earlier albums ... they've been perhaps too prolific in the last few years. The quality has dropped.

I caught the Budos Band at the Lucky Cat a couple of weeks ago. Great as always. They're good on multiple levels. Obviously the deep grooves (with Ethiopian flavor on some of the recent songs), but also the horn harmonies are very well composed. They're good for funk and jazz fans alike.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I caught the Budos Band at the Lucky Cat a couple of weeks ago. Great as always. They're good on multiple levels. Obviously the deep grooves (with Ethiopian flavor on some of the recent songs), but also the horn harmonies are very well composed. They're good for funk and jazz fans alike.

Glad to hear this since I was doing sound ... not that there's much to do: saxes up, trumpets down... They've played there about 6 or 7 times but that was probably the biggest crowd. Next time people might have to get turned away

WEST COAST PEOPLE CHECK THEIR TOUR! They can hold it down. Good party vibes.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    The Rebirth

Saw them last year and they were excellent. I have a tune on mp3 "Sum Same" which I believe is from a new set - any news on this being the case?

• Osaka Monaurail. Brilliant !!!!

Best show I'v ever seen by a live band !!!!

Myspace page

MARVA WHITNEY AND OSAKA MONOAURAIL

Peace
    Hawkeye

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I saw Bloc Party in London last Friday night. I wouldn't call myself a big fan, but I quite liked their last album. Live, though, they make a hell of a noise, and the drummer is dope as fuck. I clearly caught them on a good night - they were vibing off the crowd and getting a lot of love in return - but they're worth a look if you've got a taste for the better examples of current British rock bands.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Thanks for the info. I am told they have a myspace page too but that's blocked here at work. Nice to know real musicians can still make a living. BTW what is the buzz with "LA Symphony"? Worth checking?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Last night I caught Pharoah Sanders in Los Angeles. Photobucket - Video and Image HostingDude killed it and brought the house down when he broke into "Creator has a Master Plan" for the encore. Complete with Leon Thomas-esqe singing.....Amazing. Best Jazz show I've ever seen.What shows have you guys seen lately that have been amazing?

I was at that show too!  He's ALWAYS on point.

Stevie Wonder a couple weeks ago, for sure.

bassie 11,733 PostsSuper OG
    boot camp clik - Sean Price is a superstar!
    RIP RUCK

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    I saw dam funk open for the bambatta's records thing. I wouldn't say it was the best show I've seen lately (the rest of the night was pretty dope) but it was notable because he just hit play on a laptop (no serato or nuthin) and sang/adlibbed random/occasional lyrics on the mic and it was knocking and I was feeling it.
    Serious slaps and good vibes.

I told more people about his set then I did about the pretty legendary show that followed.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts