A Question for the Real Schitt Reprezentativez

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
How come you dudes never bring up Masta Ace's fake West Coast period... or whatever that junk was supposed to be? Just curious.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    wick-wack low-ridin Cadillac

many a good days on the blvd to that joint...

Did that stuff go over well out there?

"Sittin' On Chrome" kind of caught on in Atlanta. I don't think anyone knew Ace was from Brooklyn... I had no idea until I found a copy of his first album about two years later.

I had a vague recollection of liking both tracks at the time, but watched the videos last night and couldn't feel 'em at all.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I saw him in concert twice and he never sounded like on record. That irritated me. The INC Ride period was imo the weakest in his career. Those two songs still remain classics in my book. And the fact that every album came in a different style is something I like. Am I officially an "RSR" now?

• Classic material.

Right up there with "No Future in Your Frontin'" and "More Bounce to the Ounce" for MWCSRBANFC (Most West Coast Sounding Records by Artists Not From California).

Am I officially an "RSR" now?

You'd have to ask a Real Head.

I was more getting at the fact that while Real Headz (rightly) revere his first two albums and (less justifiably) like to claim that his most recent two are "keeping the culture alive" or whatever, they seem to have conveniently forgotten about the period in which Ace forsook the gospel of That Real Schitt in order to get that scrip club and lowrider money.

Classic material.

Right up there with "No Future in Your Frontin'" and "More Bounce to the Ounce" for MWCSRBANFC (Most West Coast Sounding Records by Artists Not From California).

By geographic alchemy, Michigan used to actually be on the West Coast in the rap landscape.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I was more getting at the fact that while Real Headz (rightly) revere his first two albums and (less justifiably) like to claim that his most recent two are "keeping the culture alive" or whatever, they seem to have conveniently forgotten about the period in which Ace forsook the gospel of That Real Schitt in order to get that scrip club and lowrider money.

Yeah, good point. But wasn't the bassline from a NY song from Original Concept? Or am I wrong? So it is all REAL to me. Except fake boobs in the scrip club. I am much more puzzled about the discrepancy of his recorded voice compared to his live voice...

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    The INC Ride period was imo the weakest in his career.

but he made up for that shit on his last two albums.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Odub had a post discussing Sittin On Chrome. Little dudes fall back. This is probably one of the better WEST/EAST Fusion albums. ASE, not Ace then embraced the West Coast sound when alot of East heads were threatened like Pete Townsend/Eric Clapton by Jimi Hendrix. All of Masta Ase albums are above average.
    Maybe cats from the West felt this was a watered down attempt to absorb the new sounds of their region.

The INC Ride period was imo the weakest in his career.

but he made up for that shit on his last two albums.

So whats your take on TAKE A LOOK AROUND?

Little dudes fall back. This is probably one of the better WEST/EAST Fusion albums.

But are there any EAST/WEST fusion albums that are actually good?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I liked that album ok, but I sure would fast forward Sittin On Chrome and Born To Roll, just not feelin it.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Little dudes fall back. This is probably one of the better WEST/EAST Fusion albums.

east=>west....or west=>east.

i know many a backpacker/real schitter who love to subscribe to the fact that souls & pharcyde were more 'east' coast than ''west coast in their sound.

but i cannot really recall an album from an East coast artist that subscribed to a west coast sound, and actually did it very well.

i know many a backpacker/real schitter who love to subscribe to the fact that souls & pharcyde were more 'east' coast than ''west coast in their sound.

I repeat: were there any good EAST/West fusion albums?

In seriousness, though, I'd say both of those albums had a distinct West Coast aesthetic, albeit one that differed from the predominant one at that time and which was more palatable to Real Headz.

b/w

"I hate southern rap except for Outkast"

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I saw him in concert twice and he never sounded like on record. That irritated me.
    I am much more puzzled about the discrepancy of his recorded voice compared to his live voice...

he sounded on point here last year.

In seriousness, though, I'd say both of those albums had a distinct West Coast aesthetic, albeit one that differed from the predominant one at that time and which was more palatable to Real Headz.

b/w

Kool G. Rap & Dj Polo - Live And Let Die............Yay or Nah?

• Little dudes fall back. This is probably one of the better WEST/EAST Fusion albums.

"This is Why I'm Hot" = the '07 "Sittin' On Chrome"?

• sir mix-a-lot

b/w

Okay, good call.

I like that album, but have always felt it was blemished by the West Coast touches.

How about this: albums by East Coast rappers that actually benefit from West Coast influences?

Sidenote: It's been a long time since I had a straight-faced rap discussion that included the terms "East Coast" and "West Coast"

• "This is Why I'm Hot" "Just Bought A Cadillac" = the '07 "Sittin' On Chrome"?

True

While alot of West Coast artists paid attention to East Coast production, Sittin On Chrome was a sr8t acknowledgement/homage to the West @ a time when tensions were high between the coast. I felt it was a brave attempt to embrace the West. Having his "cousin" come to Brooklyn in the summer to hang out and exchange styles. Unprecedented. Ase is always thinkin'.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    We played the hell outta that when it came out. Back then I thought dude moved to the west so he started making his music that way, but it always had an east coast twist to it. The beats on that record were dope too. I had an inst. EP of that record on Southpaw I think. I'm gonna have to dig that out for the "Sarah Smile" joint.

BRAINIAC DUMB DUMBS

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    By geographic alchemy, Michigan used to actually be on the West Coast in the rap landscape.

Still is:

"I was a fan and I was paying attention to everybody on all coasts. It don't matter where you from. You could be MC Shy D from the South, MC Breed from the West.[/b] I'm a fan. My curiosity was so crazy." Nas

• I think another thing to keep in mind is that Sittin on Chrome was made under pressure from the label for Ace to make another "Jeep Ass Nigguh". I read in an interview that he really wasn't too into the idea of it in the studio, but felt he should follow the 'sagely' advice of the label dudes.

But hey, I love the fact that I got a CHROME vinyl in my collection!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

b/w

Okay, good call.

I like that album, but have always felt it was blemished by the West Coast touches.

How about this: albums by East Coast rappers that actually benefit from West Coast influences?

Sidenote: It's been a long time since I had a straight-faced rap discussion that included the terms "East Coast" and "West Coast"

I think it's funny you guys consider that a West Coast influenced album. Sir Jinx and shit yes, but when that hit, it was dope on its own, I didn't even think of it like you guys do at that time as West Coast. What about all of EPMD's Parliament influenced shit?

BRAINIAC DUMB DUMBS

You wouldn't rather listen to "Jeep Ass Ni**a" for the same lyrics, though?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Classic material.

I think another thing to keep in mind is that Sittin on Chrome was made under pressure from the label for Ace to make another "Jeep Ass Nigguh". I read in an interview that he really wasn't too into the idea of it in the studio, but felt he should follow the 'sagely' advice of the label dudes.

To make another "Born to Roll" you mean? "Jeep" was the original version, which fit in with the rest of the material on Slaughtahouse and then it was remixed as "Born to Roll," which was a decidedly new direction for Ase.

Probably a mistake to keep talking abut it strictly as being West Coast influenced, as I think he also had been listening to some Miami bass when he came up with his new sound.