London Heads!

DiscGoDiscGo 4 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Im going to London on thursday for a long weekend trip. Anyone got any tips on nice recordstores with a good selection of soul?? Or any good recordstore will do, all I know about is Intoxica!If you got any other tips on nice things to do, stores, coffeshops etc. feel free to drop then London secrets!

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    For a long weekend... Lots to see, not much time esp. if ou're probably spending Saturday digging? I dunno, Camden Locks are interesting to walk around if you've not been before. Try a curry on Brick Lane, get breakfast on Sunday from one of the bigger markets. Please to note THE WHOLE PLACE IS EXPENSIVE.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Remember: all the branches of Reckless closed down last week, leaving a fairly large hole in London's second-hand selection.

• thanks. anyone got any tips on big & good flee markets that i could check out on saturday and sunday?

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    thanks. anyone got any tips on big & good flee markets that i could check out on saturday and sunday?

Camden is your best bet. Every now and then, there's a fairly good fair run by these guys but I don't think there's anything on this weekend in London.
    The bi-annual 'super fair' at Olympia (which, in all honesty, is pretty weak these days) was a week or so back.

Go to Haggle Vinyl, and then Record & Tape Exchange (branches in Camden, Notting Hill and Soho) - or take a train out to Crazy Beat in Essex.

• Remember: all the branches of Reckless closed down last week, leaving a fairly large hole in London's second-hand selection.

Damn! Didn't know that, kinda serves them right for being waaayyyyy too expensive. They charged the same price for old Lord Finesse records as they did back in 2000, they didn't really adapt to changes in trends (which meant the occassional bargain).I don't think i'll miss it too much...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    thanks. anyone got any tips on big & good flee markets that i could check out on saturday and sunday?

Camden is your best bet. Every now and then, there's a fairly good fair run by these guys but I don't think there's anything on this weekend in London.
    The bi-annual 'super fair' at Olympia (which, in all honesty, is pretty weak these days) was a week or so back.

Go to Haggle Vinyl, and then Record & Tape Exchange (branches in Camden, Notting Hill and Soho) - or take a train out to Crazy Beat in Essex.

Islington - Disque (new and reissues), Haggle, Flashback
    Camden - not much these days but the market has a few record stalls around the lock and Inverness St near the tube has one or two shops
    East - Spitalfields and Brick Lane markets on Sundays
    West - Portobello market, HonestJ ons and Intoxica (both $$$)
    Central - record shops on Berwick Street and roundabouts
    Finchley - Alan's Records

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Remember: all the branches of Reckless closed down last week, leaving a fairly large hole in London's second-hand selection.

Damn! Didn't know that, kinda serves them right for being waaayyyyy too expensive. They charged the same price for old Lord Finesse records as they did back in 2000, they didn't really adapt to changes in trends (which meant the occassional bargain).I don't think i'll miss it too much...

Yeah, me too. I don't think I actually bought anything from them in the past 2 years... other than 12" mailers and envelope stiffeners.
    Anyone who had credit in there (and I know a few people) is fucked though. It was literally a case of 'here today, gone tomorrow'. I'm guessing that Record & Tape Exchange will reap the rewards.

• That VV site has it covered. Make sure you have a wander along Berwick St, its where Reckless had a few branches, but theres still a few others to peep, plus Poland St has Phonica Records, worth a look. Straight opposite Phonica is Bodeans, good ribs & a beer for lunch. Always go to Soul Jazz (Sounds Of The Universe) cos its good, excellent soul / funk / jazz, but prices to go with it. All that area (soho over to / Seven Dials & Neale St) has shops that are worth a look, records, clothes etc etc.

Also Notting Hill has a couple of Record & Tape Exchanges, one for pop / rock & one for soul / hip hop etc, which are also worth a look, & wander down Portobello Rd on a saturday is a nice thing to do. Honest Jons is at the other end, its well known, but not exactly the place to find a bargain.

There are other places, Crazy Beat as mentioned above & Beanos down in Croydon, but they would be a trip out of town. Make sure you check the charity shops wherever you are staying, usually boxes of vinyl here & there, you might turn up something.

I'll be in town on sat, little record expedition, starting in Notting hill & making our way down to Soho, not been in ages & I'm looking forward to it!

• sconesscones 434 Posts

Yeah, me too. I don't think I actually bought anything from them in the past 2 years... other than 12" mailers and envelope stiffeners.
    Anyone who had credit in there (and I know a few people) is fucked though. It was literally a case of 'here today, gone tomorrow'. I'm guessing that Record & Tape Exchange will reap the rewards.

that is very F'd up.

• I'm guessing that Record & Tape Exchange will reap the rewards.

it sucks how those dudes in camden and on notting hill won;t ever let you listen to anything. bring your portable.