DOWN TO THE BONE: SURPRISINGLY GOOD

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I've been off and on with these guys for years - loved their "Staten Island Groove," which was a big steppers' cut here in Chicago, but what little I've heard from them since fell in that smooth-jazz vein. At this moment, I'm playing their new disc (which sat on my desk for maybe a month before I got around to listening to it), and it's not half bad. To call it, it's what we used to call "acid-jazz" in the 90's, while we (or at least I) was waiting for real funk to make a comeback. You know, there was no Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings in the early 90's, and with odd exceptions like the Poets of Rhythm or the Crown Royals, acid-jazz was as close as we were gonna get!! Anyway, this new DTTB release isn't bad. Never thought I'd big-up a Narada Jazz release, but there it is.

Comments

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    yeah, saw them at the Birchmere,VA about a year a ago. When they came up on stage, I gotta say, was somewhat skeptical because they were pretty much some clean-cut 'euro' white dudes about to play some funk/acid jazz. But when they started playing, I quickly became a believer in their skills and chops. They definitely knew the traditional styles, and knew what NOT to do i.e. slap bass.

I'm not sure if I would buy their album each time, but seeing them live, to me, seems to be where their specialty is.

On a sidely related note re: acid jazz funk type shit. Anyone heard of Groove Collective from NYC? Heard them play a couple times and they definitely got some ill flavor.

peas.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    On a sidely related note re: acid jazz funk type shit. Anyone heard of Groove Collective from NYC? Heard them play a couple times and they definitely got some ill flavor.

Groove Collective is dope in the slicker end of the spectrum. I got their self-titled and "We The People" + seen them perform live. Nice crew.

While we're on the subject of acidjazz; I was just listenening to the "Free Speech" EP by Mother Earth. "The Sinister Six" is a pretty good choon that I forgot about; mellow, spooky groove with organ+wurlitzer. Diggin' that one.