Rap died the summer of 1987

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Great article I stumbled into "THE BIG STEAL" FACE MAGAZINE MARCH 1988On a hot Friday afternoon inside Music Factory, the undistinguished looking record store just uptown of Manhattan???s 42nd Street, the DJ spins high energy disco to a room fuIl of b-boys. This week's paychecks avail themselves of the airplay and the critical judgements going down. "This shit is dope." "This is a good record; you should buy it." "I should? Your mother should buy it,"Blastmasters KRS One stands by the wall of rap records, not shopping, content to spend the day before his wedding watching his record, Boogie Down Productions "Criminal Minded", seIl and pronouncing dicta. "This is garbage. This is garbage, This," he says, tapping a new single by Public Enemy, "and this," he touches Eric B and Rakim's "Paid In FuIl", "stomping." I???d say just about 100 percent of aIl rap music uses some kind of idea or something from those break records,"....http://www.globaldarkness.com/articles/big_steal.htm

Comments

• KRS has ALWAYS[/b] been a legend in his own mind...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Good article. Kind of written bugged out, but alot of interesting stories in there.

I thought this sounded kinda familliar...

One of the hottest rap producers at the moment, Hurby Luv Bug, confirms this: "Flash is in his late thirties. He was around when these records came out. I'm 22, I don't remember." For another successful producer, Marley Marl, breaks are essential to rap. "Rap died last summer if you ask me," he says. "Everybody stopped cutting up old breaks and everything, and they was going into the drum machine sound, straight up drum machine."[/b]

• so whatever happened to Stanley Platzer and Lenny Roberts? (and that notebook and collection!)

• This is originally from the Jan. 19, 1988 issue of the Village Voice (the infamous "Hip Hop Nation" issue), an article titled "What It Is". Definitely a very big influence on me. There had never been, far as I can remember, anything in print that had gone that deep into hip hop music, particularly from the breakbeat side of things. There was a lot of other good schitt in that issue- ill sidebars, like the lists of Afrika Bambaataa's top records, Harry Allen's small piece on sneakers (Avias!), pics of Jazzy Jay, Bam, Breakbeat Lenny, Stanley Platzer at Music Factory and other schitt. Plus the classic cover photo with all those rappers together... i'm still trying to find that pic online somewhere (too lazy to dig up my copy and scan it). I sent ya boy Dee Rock and a few other people that article BITD

• so whatever happened to Stanley Platzer and Lenny Roberts?

They're dead.

• Sounds a lot like that Village Voice piece from around the same time.
    I miss Stan. That old guy knew his shit and was always super friendly and helpful if not a bit gruff.
    I remember on the wall next to all the "volumes" (UB&B's) there was this little collage of polaroids of Stan with an insane amount of celebs (Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli, Bobby DeNiro, MJ, etc.).
    After he passed away, they kept it up there but someone added a nice little drawing of Stan holding a record and ascending into heaven as an angel.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Biz Markie stops in to ask Stanley about a mambo record which he says has a good break. Stanley doesn't know the record.

• I say July 31, 1995 was a day that lead to a lot of people swallowing their own shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I say July 31, 1995 was a day that lead to a lot of people swallowing their own shit.

The day Only Built for Cuban Linx... was released???

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I remember that UBB wall. I bought all the volumes from Music Factory (as well as the Super Disco Breaks) when I was up in NYC in late '88. Mister Cee put me up on the spot. Calvin was cool like that!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• This is originally from the Jan. 19, 1988 issue of the Village Voice (the infamous "Hip Hop Nation" issue), an article titled "What It Is". Definitely a very big influence on me. There had never been, far as I can remember, anything in print that had gone that deep into hip hop music, particularly from the breakbeat side of things. There was a lot of other good schitt in that issue- ill sidebars, like the lists of Afrika Bambaataa's top records, Harry Allen's small piece on sneakers (Avias!), pics of Jazzy Jay, Bam, Breakbeat Lenny, Stanley Platzer at Music Factory and other schitt. Plus the classic cover photo with all those rappers together... i'm still trying to find that pic online somewhere (too lazy to dig up my copy and scan it). I sent ya boy Dee Rock and a few other people that article BITD

I knew that sounded familiar! My boy had a photocopy of the article when it came out. But he had all the ny connects and I was a new jack at the time so he let me peep it but I couldn't get a copy. I remember asking him about 4 or 5 years later and he said he didn't have it anymore...Yo I remember one of his boys having the " bridge is over " video the one at union square? wasn't there like a shot of a godzilla toy spinning on top of a turntable or am I buggin?