Narcissistic Soul Singers? (Frontman Related)

dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Is Ike Turner the only soul singer to have named his back-up singing group after himself? Surely he can't be. Plaese help.

Comments

• ray charles had the charlesettes or something like that.

• Yes, the Raelettes. Thanks.

More?

• well, James Brown naming his backing band the JB's came to mind

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Is Ike Turner the only soul singer to have named his back-up singing group after himself? Surely he can't be. Plaese help.

Male groups used to have sister groups like the Temptations and the Tempettes. Somebody with the knowledge will list some.

Patti Labelle's group was called Labelle.

Carlos Santana's group was called Santana. A whole slew of other Latin stars followed suit; Bobo and ahh, some others I can't think of.

I'll think of more soon.

• Is Ike Turner the only soul singer to have named his back-up singing group after himself? Surely he can't be. Plaese help.

Bobby Bland, at one point in the sixties, had a female backup group called the Blandolls. The Otisettes sang with the Johnny Otis Show in the early '70s.

• Is Ike Turner the only soul singer to have named his back-up singing group after himself? Surely he can't be. Plaese help.

Male groups used to have sister groups like the Temptations and the Tempettes. Somebody with the knowledge will list some.

Patti Labelle's group was called Labelle.

Carlos Santana's group was called Santana. A whole slew of other Latin stars followed suit; Bobo and ahh, some others I can't think of.

I'll think of more soon.

Ray Charles had the Raelettes (oops... just saw that was already mentioned earrrrly). Ronnie Spector had the Ronettes, although technically she was a member of the group, too. And of course, there's always

• Phill,

Explain the Sade thing. Or just post more pics of her.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Stuart Matthewman & them were already a group called Pride. They convinced her to to front a new incarnation after hearing/seeing her. I guess cats were smart enuff to place her upfront. I dont think she came into the game looking to be on some diva stuff. Just an art/fashion student dabbling in music.

Speakin on Soul singers, did anybody read the NYTIMES article on Souls's resergence?

• Speakin on Soul singers, did anybody read the NYTIMES article on Souls's resergence?

This ain't another article hyping the neo-soul movement, is it?

Speakin on Soul singers, did anybody read the NYTIMES article on Souls's resergence?

Hahaha. Nah. Ill see if i can post it.

• Speakin on Soul singers, did anybody read the NYTIMES article on Souls's resergence?

Hahaha. Nah.
    ***PICKWICK 33 BREATHES A SIGH OF RELIEF***[/b]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Here is the correction I know you were all thinking of writting. The Temps were originally the Primes. Mary Florence and Diane were their sister group the Primettes.

Hahaha. Nah.

NY TIMES "SOUL" Article.

• Phill,

the singer's name is Sade Adu, the group's name is Sade. Or at least that's how it was originally- check the liner notes of any of the old albums (it's not stated clearly on "Lover's Rock", but I'm pretty sure it is on all of the earlier albums).

BTW, "Lover's Rock" is the most recent Sade album, right? DAMN time flies- that was seven years ago! I guess a new disc is about due, innit?

more sade pics-

and just for u, the NSFW sade (scroll down):

Hahaha. Nah.

NY TIMES "SOUL" Article.
    Well, neo-soul is dealt with in this article to some degree (I realized this as soon as I saw Corinne Bailey-Rae's cute face radiating from the 'puter screen). One thing I have noticed lately is that old-school soul is catching on with the indie-rock crowd something fierce. Seems like city has at least one or two hipster clubs where people DJ vintage soul music (I have a soul night myself and can testify to this). Went to Memphis last spring for the Ponderosa Stomp, and sure enuff one club had a soul night too (deejayed by a couple of Soulstrutters). My friend Eli "Paperboy" Reed, out in Boston, leads an old-school Memphis soul band, and he's playing to alt-rock audiences quite a bit.[/b]