Paul Wall - Sittin' Sidewayz Video (TRR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
for those who care:

http://www.sharebigfile.com/index.php?download=CNpYV1sTcYVC1WBCTXgg

so if "the pawn" can do these numbers, what will paul and slim do? saying:

NEW YORK, NY--(MARKET WIRE)--Jun 2, 2005 -- In less than two (2) months, the platinum-shipped debut release from Houston-based rising rap star MIKE JONES, "Who Is Mike Jones?" (Warner Bros./Asylum/SwishaHouse), has been RIAA CERTIFIED GOLD this week. With a sales rate that "Who Is Mike Jones?" is enjoying, platinum certification is sure to be just around the corner.
"Who is Mike Jones?," which debuted at #3 on Billboard's "Top 200" chart and #1 on Billboard's "Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums" and "Top Rap Albums" charts, continues to sell more than 40,000 copies a week.

"It feels good, I'm blessed. Thanks to God and my fans, I'm successful. This is a dream come true, I've been working on getting to this level for 4 years now, so, to me, it didn't happen overnight. I've been grinding for a while which makes landing at the top of the charts and selling gold more sweeter. If you don't grind, you don't shine," states Mike Jones.

MIKE JONES has been featured in top major music magazines including Rolling Stone, XXL, Blender, The Source, and Vibe. He's also graced the cover of the Arts and Entertainment section of the New York Times and has been reviewed in other top newspapers including Los Angeles Times and the Boston Globe.

Soren Baker of Los Angeles Times asserts, "Jones, whose good-natured rap-attitude and ability to pick a spectacular array of beats has allowed him to be one of the few Houston rappers ever to break nationally."

MIKE JONES took self promotion to another level when he began to repeat his name literally hundreds of times on his debut album as well as giving his cell phone number out on his songs to hear back from his fans.

"By now everyone should know that my Grandmother helped me with this marketing idea and when nobody else believed in me, she did. So I went with what she suggested and it worked," Jones explains.

MIKE JONES' new single, "Back Then," produced by the same team, Silah Williams and Michael "5000" Watts (owner of SwishaHouse and famed chopped and screwed DJ), that produced his first single, "Still Tippin'," is seeing over 12 million in radio audience and was featured as one of MTV2's "Making of the Video," a privilege for any new artist.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    mcafee going all nuts on that link homie

• mcafee going all nuts on that link homie

no!

My antivir. hasn't said anything...should I stop the DL???

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Just scanned the file with Norton, viruses found: 0

The link is from a moderator's (bbk of gritboyz) post from Paul's website's forum. Highly unlikely his moderator would lace it with a virus, but whatever. If anyone gets a virus from the video, that'd be news to me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    actually, i think it was one of the popups. stupid co-worker turned off the pop-up blocker in IE

cool, I ain't 'bout spreadin' virii

• all's good, although you are known for passing that Fany on occasion

fany this fany that
    actin' all fany 24/7
    passin' mad fanies left and right no ayo

• Damn, gettin' all secular and sh*t...

That video's funny, like the song too although I kept getting the urge to sing the E-40/B-Legit Sideways hook throughout...

SI, but they are referencing S.U.C., who might have been referencing E-40 since "In a Major Way" came out in '95:

from MTV.com, haha:

---

The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes From The Underground

Houston's do-it-all man Paul Wall is finishing up his debut LP, The People's Champ, and like his Swisha House labelmate Mike Jones did for "Still Tippin'," he's reaching back to a classic mixtape for his first single, "Sitting Sideways."

"We had Michael Watts come mix on the hook the same way we did 'Still Tippin',' " he explained. "[For] 'Still Tippin',' we took a classic Slim Thug freestyle in '99 and sampled his words for the hook. For ['Sitting Sideways,'] we took a classic freestyle from Big Pokey he did in '96 or '97 with DJ Screw on a mixtape called June 27 and sampled something he said in there. That's the most famous of all Screw tapes ever put out. The hook goes, "I'm sitting sideways, boys in a daze/ On a Sunday night I might bang me some Maze," Wall added. "When he says 'Maze,' he's talking about Frankie Beverly and Maze."

Out-of-towners may not be aware, but the collaboration between Pokey and Wall is significant because back in the day, cats from the south side of H-Town ??? stomping ground of the Screwed Up Clique ??? and Swisha House's native territory, the north side, didn't always see eye to eye.

Wall said now it's all about music, fortunately. "I been a fan of the Screwed Up Clique forever, even back in the day," he said. "We trying to come together as a city and support each other and help each other out."

"Sitting Sideways" as Wall explained it, can mean either leaning back in your car or drinking that purple Texas Tea that's so popular in Houston. [/b]

---

promethezine, codeine

• oh, I wasn't hinting that that's where they got it, but the bay version is so engrained (grippin) in my membrain...

thx for the link meester

no prob, I'm grippin malt grain

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Hate to say this, but dude is becoming more and more of a clown by the day.

Also mylatency, to answer your location question:

http://somanyshrimp.com/

• Hate to say this, but dude is becoming more and more of a clown by the day.

Also mylatency, to answer your location question:

http://somanyshrimp.com/

so what..that shit knocks. thats all that matters.

• It knocks for sure. BUT, i cant believe dudes are taking this guy seriously. The way this dudes talks is beyond me. It seems like a joke at times, really. And i caught this MTV special on Houston, and Sway rolls around with Pall Wall, and hes talking about the slang, and how shit is in the hood, and it seems to me like beyond exploiting Houstons culture as far as hip hop, living, etc, to make money on their hustle and to blow up their own spot, but, THAT DUDE talking about all of that shit seems to be exploitive on a whole other level.

(does that make sense?)

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    but, THAT DUDE talking about all of that shit seems to be exploitive on a whole other level.
    Why is he less entitled to blow up the spot than any of the other Houston cats?

• It knocks for sure. BUT, i cant believe dudes are taking this guy seriously. The way this dudes talks is beyond me. It seems like a joke at times, really. And i caught this MTV special on Houston, and Sway rolls around with Pall Wall, and hes talking about the slang, and how shit is in the hood, and it seems to me like beyond exploiting Houstons culture as far as hip hop, living, etc, to make money on their hustle and to blow up their own spot, but, THAT DUDE talking about all of that shit seems to be exploitive on a whole other level.

(does that make sense?)

yeah I know what you are saying..but now and days..I aint trying to look at this music shit under a microscope like I did in the years before. fuck it man..do what you do..get some money..and thats that.

if its dope, its dope.

I aint really up on Houston like that..but shit..they are getting a lot of good shine now..and they been doing it for a while too. I am sure it would be hard not to jump at the chance to show off your (slept on)city,music,culture,etc if MTV/Fader/ETC was suddenly interested.