Producerstrut: Keys

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I'm looking at getting a keyboard for live use. I'd like something that has a good set of factory sounds (Rhodes, Wurlitzer, B3, etc. plus some "world" instruments and synth bits). I'd also like the ability to sample. Sequencing is not necessary since I'll be playing live with it.Any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $1k if possible. Was looking at the Korg TR series as a possiblity.

Comments

• used motif es or the korg tr, at that price point i would suggest a midi keyboard and a couple plug ins/ samplers a la kontact or samplitude if you have a decent computer and soundcard.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    you can cop a rack mount brand new for about a G, also a used nord electro has all the vintage stuff you mentioned...

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Thanks for the input..
    I've already got several MIDI keys to play with (Radium 49 and MK-225c) so I'll definitely consider the rackmount option. I already use Kontakt w/ Ableton in the studio, but I'd rather avoid using a computer live.

Does the Nord Electro have sampling capability or is it strictly ROM based?

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    If you're going for a rackmount, I suggest looking into this:
    muse receptor

You can plug in most VSTi's, possibilities are endless really

• Nord Electro is the shizzzzzz! If you already have midi keys, pick up the rackmount. Only thing is, to my knowledge, you can't sample with it. But it is definitely the best vintage sounds I've heard.

• Nord Electro is pretty good.... great instrument for touring.
    I like the Elektrik bundle fron NI.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Nord Electro is the shizzzzzz! If you already have midi keys, pick up the rackmount. Only thing is, to my knowledge, you can't sample with it. But it is definitely the best vintage sounds I've heard.

Clavia makes rock solid gear. Herve Saulters of General Elektriks & other studio work uses one live with a kaoss pad, and I think he runs it through a fender amp for some crunch. Always sounds killer.

• Thanks for the input..
    I've already got several MIDI keys to play with (Radium 49 and MK-225c) so I'll definitely consider the rackmount option. I already use Kontakt w/ Ableton in the studio, but I'd rather avoid using a computer live.

word, i would go with the motif es rack, you could find a used one for a bout a g.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Thanks everybody.. I'm gonna see if I can find a Motif rack to play with at Guitar Center. Did a little research on the Electro.. seems like a nice piece of gear but may not have the range of sounds I'm looking for in one unit.