ProTools/M-Box trouble shooting.

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I'm getting 2 different, completely conflicting error messages from my ProTools program.This all is occuring while I'm "BOUNCING TO DISC" and I am at a loss for what to do next. Any advice?The mix is just shy of a gig, 68 and some seconds long. The first time I tried to bounce it to the disc, after maybe 15 minutes or so I get the following error message:The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If the problem persists, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine Dialog (-9094)[/b]The H/W Buffer Size default was 512 Samples. I increased the size to the next available selection, which is 1024 Samples. In the next attempt to BOUNCE, the following error message appears:Audio Processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. If the problem persists, try decreasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine Dialog (-9129)[/b]And so I decreased it to the only other option available, 256 Samples. After trying it this way I get the first message again, telling me to increase H/W Buffer Size. However the second message makes no sense to me anyway because I wasn't running anything else while in my ProTools session. I have also gotten another error message which I didn't write down, and although I cannot remember if it told me to increase or decrease my H/W Buffer Size, it did suggest that I "get rid of some tracks" - however my entire mix is consolidated onto one track.So right now in the "Playback Engine Dialog" I have it set at the defaults which are:H/W Buffer Size: 512 SamplesCPU Usage Limit: 65 %DAE Playback Buffer: Level 2 (Default)Any idea what might be doing this or what I can do to finish bouncing this damn thing to disc? I completed a project earlier this evening and bounced it, although it was only 8 minutes long.Any ideas would be greatly helpful. I have mad deadline to make and this sure doesn't help.Thank you.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yeah, and my phone crashed 2 more times in the last hour, once while I was just looking at it sitting on the coffee table.

... or SOMETHING like that .

Anyway, I'm getting my new phoone this week so I will just holler at folls and hommys then.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Just short of a Gig? 80 minutes is 700 MB. Is your mixdown maybe longer than you think it is? Are you saving 16 bit and 44.1 K?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Dude that error comes from processor confusion or processor lag/latency.
    My guess is you are on a mac with a speed of 800mhz or less right?
    You failed to indicate the specs for the system you are on so it's hard for me to help but try the following if you haven't already:

- Quit ALL other open programs
    - Make sure sleep is set to "never"
    - Choose "convert after bounce" option - ALWAYS
    - Did you delete all unused regions? If not do that.
    - Unplug/drag to trash any external HD's or other devices

Try it again and let me know what happens.

Peace,
    Al

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I have the same set up (M-Box Pro Tools) and have the settings at:

DAE Playback buffer level 8, maxxed at 1024 samples and CPU usage at 85%. And never had the problem. I will say that if you are within 3 months of buying that the folks at digidesign can officially help you at no cost to you if you registered your shit. They have also unofficially helped me with quick questions after the 3 month period.

I am wondering what your RAM and OS is all about. You on a Mac or a PC?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Thanks for the info. guys. I got mine 3 months ago and am still trying to figure the thing out. It is so new and foreign to me! I've actually figured a lot out but I get some loud noise almost like white noise, it sounds digital like fax tones or something. I don't know if it is my computer or I have a defective mbox? Any ideas? I'm gonna take it back tomorrow and see what's up. I'm running it on my laptop pc.