Citizens of Boston: Your puny brains cannot...

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
...hope to process us. Denizens of Bean Town: Shake and tremble while you park your car in Harvard Yard. Shall I turn it up for you? Damn, yeah! For shizzum! Try not to slip on your sorry-ass baked beans!
"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."
"Scaring an entire region, tying up the T and major roadways, and forcing first responders to spend 12 hours chasing down trinkets instead of terrorists is marketing run amok," Markey, a Democrat, said in a written statement. "It would be hard to dream up a more appalling publicity stunt."
"I just think this is outrageous, what they've done ... It's all about corporate greed."

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The guys behind this are retards - you can't just set up
    electronic advertising on municipal properties without any
    permission or at least notice ... it looks silly how people
    reacted to it, but shit that looks like bombs will be treated
    with extreme measures in these times, no doubt.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The guys behind this are retards - you can't just set up
    electronic advertising on municipal properties without any
    permission or at least notice ... it looks silly how people
    reacted to it, but shit that looks like bombs will be treated
    with extreme measures in these times, no doubt.

There is an identical device planted literally half a block from my house in Chicago. Thousands of cars and pedestrians pass by it each night and have done so for weeks. This is about one or two people overreacting, calling police, tying up traffic, and then politicians attempting to bring terrorism into it. If you'd seen these signs in the flesh like I have, you'd come to the same conclusion.

I think that's a little backwards - or at least,
    the over-reacting people were the ones bringing
    terrorism into it. Maybe you didn't have terrorists
    board airplanes in your city to go blow up the WTC?
    Like I said, I realize it makes for a ridiculous story,
    but people are scared, and doing this as "guerilla
    marketing" and not letting anyone know you were
    hanging an electronic device held with duct tape
    onto a major urban bridge is simply retarded, as
    well as irresponsible.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    ...hope to process us. Denizens of Bean Town: Shake and tremble while you park your car in Harvard Yard.

Shall I turn it up for you?

Damn, yeah! For shizzum! Try not to slip on your sorry-ass baked beans!

"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."
    "Scaring an entire region, tying up the T and major roadways, and forcing first responders to spend 12 hours chasing down trinkets instead of terrorists is marketing run amok," Markey, a Democrat, said in a written statement. "It would be hard to dream up a more appalling publicity stunt."
    "I just think this is outrageous, what they've done ... It's all about corporate greed."

This post had me DYING.

Are you freaking KIDDING ME?!?!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I think that's a little backwards - or at least,
    the over-reacting people were the ones bringing
    terrorism into it. Maybe you didn't have terrorists
    board airplanes in your city to go blow up the WTC?
    Like I said, I realize it makes for a ridiculous story,
    but people are scared, and doing this as "guerilla
    marketing" and not letting anyone know you were
    hanging an electronic device held with duct tape
    onto a major urban bridge is simply retarded, as
    well as irresponsible.

totally reasonable, but there was some point where i was reading about this whole thing and that Greg Ginn rant on the back of Black Flag's "the process of weeding out" about how "straight pigs" with their "linear type minds" cannot decode certain types of ideas popped into my head...

now that we've seen how dopey the police and how easy it is to fuck with them, expect a lot of copycat stuff... i mean, any bored high school kid with a lightbright and a clock radio can paralyze a city...

i myself HATE guerilla/viral marketing and i hope this will put a brake on it...

hate to say it, but the whole coountry is gonna be laughing at boston for a bit...

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Bad marketing execution, but you cannot buy this type of TV advertising on all the network and cable news shows. Just goes to show you how out of the loop adults are to teen/youth culture.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Luck,

You have to consider the fact that a majority of the populous didn't even see the actual devices. All I was hearing was that suspicious packages were being detonated around 10-12 areas in and around the city.

Then again, after taking a good look at the thing on the news last night, I was left a little baffled as to how someone might think these were explosives.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    People are fucking idiots.

How the hell can this be mistaken for a bomb?

• How the hell can this be mistaken for a bomb?

FEAR

Lots of government sponsored, media supported FEAR.

SONIC

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i mean, any bored high school kid with a lightbright and a clock radio can paralyze a city...

you are emboldening the terrorists...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i mean, any bored high school kid with a lightbright and a clock radio can paralyze a city...

you are emboldening the terrorists...

we need to send more teenagers to the freedom fight

b/w

where's tommy ridge when we need him ??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

How the hell can this be mistaken for marketing[/b]?

I don't know what's scarier, the fact that stupid shit like this can go so bananas that it paralyzes a major city, or the fact that things like this(which when not lit up DO look like suspect devices) go completely unnoticed in other major cities.

You would think that both the citizens AND the police would be able to be vigilent as well as efficient with shit that looks like it could be a threat. But common sense takes a vacation on both sides of the fence.

• It's kinda baffling that not one policemen or officious type person didn't recognize the thing as being from a cartoon...a very popular one in fact.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ...a very popular one in fact.

thats not a very true statement. athf is on cartoon network for 15 minutes at midnight on sundays. not exactly the most mainstream time slot. younger people might have recognized it.

• Not to mention...hanging the thing on bridges and interstates isn't exactly putting one up at the mall. If you put those things outside a record store or coffee shop, it could be seen as a joke.

Start putting suspicious packages with batteries and wires on a bridge? NEVER a Good Look, regardless of terrorism fears. That will ALWAYS arouse suspiscion, whether 9/11 had happened or not.

• ...a very popular one in fact.

thats not a very true statement. athf is on cartoon network for 15 minutes at midnight on sundays. not exactly the most mainstream time slot. younger people might have recognized it.

That's what I'm saying. All those cops and shit are over 40? There's not one youthful cat that coulda held up a hand?

And I stand by my statement. The show is "very popular". Who here doesn't know about ATHF?

• There is an identical device planted literally half a block from my house in Chicago.

plaese to tell where? or please to take for me in trade for raer.

And I stand by my statement. The show is "very popular". Who here doesn't know about ATHF?

I'm a 27 year old male with cable who did not know what a mooninite was until yesterday.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    mooninite

you must get familiar!
    great cartoon

I'm a 27 year old male with cable who did not know what a mooninite was until yesterday.

Okay nevermind then. Damn those guerilla marketers. The Mooninites are fuckin hilarious tho so you should get up on that.

um, it was bright daylight - so it was not "lit up"

All people saw was a small box with wires and
    lights duct-taped to the bottom of a bridge.

• its all just part of the national over-reaction to 9/11, which, by historical standards, was not that big a deal in the first place.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    So is the ATHF movie ever coming out or what?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

lots of great points in this thread.

The show of fear from the public shows how fearful we've grown of terrorism and in this case I actually think it was a good reaction, after all, who knows what a bomb is supposed to look like?

Cartoon Network ran apologies all throughout their adult swim programming last night. During these spots they tried to make it clear that this was an outside advertising company that did this and was not concocted by anyone from Cartoon Network or ATHF.

For those of you saying people were dumb what do you think your reaction would be to seeing a small unidentifiable box-like device with tape and wires planted under a bridge or underpass? (serious question)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    For once, I'm on the same page as shabadoo. Shit ain't sweet. Super bad move on these dudes' parts. Interference Inc is gonna get their asses sued off.

PS I think the pic on this page should be graemlinized:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070201/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_devices

MrSuckerShitlocks

• People are fucking idiots.

The show of fear from the public shows how fearful we've grown of terrorism and in this case I actually think it was a good reaction, after all, who knows what a bomb is supposed to look like?

Cartoon Network ran apologies all throughout their adult swim programming last night. During these spots they tried to make it clear that this was an outside advertising company that did this and was not concocted by anyone from Cartoon Network or ATHF.

For those of you saying people were dumb what do you think your reaction would be to seeing a small unidentifiable box-like device with tape and wires planted under a bridge or underpass? (serious question)

Here's a point someone at work made:

What was on the boxes makes no difference. What if they had been light up 'Support our Troops,' boxes? Still suspicious. People get a laugh because it was a cartoon character. But, if you can put beavis and butthead on a sheet of acid, why not a cartoon character on a bomb?

Recognizable or not, the whole thing was suspicious. And, I think people would have flipped whether 9/11 happened or not...bomb threats have been around for a long time.

• People are fucking idiots.

Here's a point someone at work made:

What was on the boxes makes no difference. What if they had been light up 'Support our Troops,' boxes? Still suspicious. People get a laugh because it was a cartoon character. But, if you can put beavis and butthead on a sheet of acid, why not a cartoon character on a bomb?

Recognizable or not, the whole thing was suspicious. And, I think people would have flipped whether 9/11 happened or not...bomb threats have been around for a long time.

Maybe it's because I'm from Detroit and nobody wants to bomb Detroit (except those living here) but big fucking deal. There's tons of suspicious garbage/debris/questionable boxes all over urban areas in this country. Our fear of terrorism is totally self-centered and self-important and not based in reality. We've had something like two non-domestic terrorist attacks and suddenly we're so fearful we support this shit? "Report all suspicious behavior, whether it's silly or not, because they're out to get us". People die all over the world in mass due to terrorism daily and we have a national freakout over ill placed ATHF ads.

I call bullshit on the whole thing.

SONIC

• Maybe it's because I'm from Detroit and nobody wants to bomb Detroit (except those living here) but big fucking deal. There's tons of suspicious garbage/debris/questionable boxes all over urban areas in this country. Our fear of terrorism is totally self-centered and self-important and not based in reality. We've had something like two non-domestic terrorist attacks and suddenly we're so fearful we support this shit? "Report all suspicious behavior, whether it's silly or not, because they're out to get us". People die all over the world in mass due to terrorism daily and we have a national freakout over ill placed ATHF ads.

I call bullshit on the whole thing.

SONIC

Let me just say, this had zero affect on my commute yesterday, and I didn't even know about it until I got home. So, I'm not some irate bostoner whose day was ruined.

My point is, though, that if I'm a 27 year old driving across a bridge, and I don't know that's some misplaced ATHF garbage, what does Joe Commuter think? I am totally ok with them being suspicious of a drawing hooked up to wires and batteries on a bridge or in a hospital flipping them the bird. Reporting suspicious behavior has nothing to do with the number of terrorist attacks; hell, long before 9/11 you got asked those ridiculous questions about possession of your bags EVERY time you flew.

And, fear of terrorism isn't so much a self-centered quality, as one of self-preservation. It can toe a fine line, and when that line becomes, 'LOCK UP EVERYONE IN A TURBAN,' it has gone too far.

BUT, when that line says, 'DON'T LEAVE THINGS THAT LOOK LIKE BOMBS ON PUBLIC ROADWAYS AND ON MAJOR TRANSPORTATION CENTERS,' I don't think that is AT ALL out of line.

And again, taking myself as an example, ATHF never would have occured to me; so, how about the 90% of the public that doesn't know what a Mooninite is? I bet they're first thought isn't, "oh! Wires and batteries on a roadway! I should watch adult swim on Turner Broadcasting's Cartoon Network!"

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    http://wbztv.com/video/?id=28369@wbz.dayport.com

Clip of their press interview and how they wouldn't discuss their arrest. They insisted on only discussing haircuts of the 70's.

• http://wbztv.com/video/?id=28369@wbz.dayport.com

Clip of their press interview and how they wouldn't discuss their arrest. They insisted on only discussing haircuts of the 70's.

work is slow and this is a fascinating story to me, so I could go all day...

...so, I will take this opportunity to offer another unsolicited opinion:

THIS IS NOT ART.

I take a very broad view of what is art; a blank sheet of paper that you put on a wall? Fine by me. An lp of you banging a stick against your hut? Folkways HEAT! You wanna throw your tag up on a train? Public transit looks better already!

BUT, putting up viral marketing ads because some douchebag is paying you to for the betterment of their bottomline?

YOU ARE NOT AN ARTIST. YOU ARE AN EASILY INFLUENCED DOUCHEBAG WHO CAN BE BOUGHT OFF BY THE LOWEST BIDDER.