Top 5 pastry counter choices

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
My name on here and in real life is kitchen knight; here, it is more literal, and in real life, it is Gareth, who was King Arthur's Kitchen Knight.But, that is more than just a name. For a good 4 years, I worked as an artisan baker/pastry chef. It was probably the most satisfying work I've ever done or will do. Like many careers, it fell by the wayside as life's demands crept in- namely, that I grew sick of going to work at 4 am on the weekend, and going to bed every night at 8. So, I got out of it, and got into the world of TV production, which I love. But, nothing will ever take the place of baking in my life. Hell, last weekend in NYC, I got to do some of my favorite travelling- going pastry shop to bakery to restaurant, buying a little bit of everything to try it all and share with my friends and family. And now that football season is over my employeer, I plan on getting out the cookbooks, baking pans, and butter (lots of butter) and making some favorites that I've been too busy to get at...In honor of that, I give you my top 5 pastries to cop at the pastry shop.5. Canele- These little french tea cakes are a marvel of baking chemistry. It is a milky, runny batter flavored with rum, extracts, and citrus zests that you pour into tin molds. We lined our molds with a beeswax/butter mixture to allow them to slide out after their nearly 1 hour baking time.But, my god...what a texture. The outside carmelizes into a nice, burnt sugar crust, giving way to a moist webbed cake that oozes the aromatics of its flavorings. Too often, though, they are kept too long on the shelf, and the outer crust gets like rawhide...But, when done right, these are my favorite. 4. Seasonal Scones- Not much for the currants- the texture is too much like BBs to me. But, a good scone- flaky, buttery, not too overpowering- can be an incredible vehicle for seasonal fruits, like blueberries or cranberries. One bakery I worked at added sour cream to their scones, making the blueberry version like your mornings flaky pie. NOT to be trifled with.3. Vanilla Bean Cake- Dude, it is time to put the 'he is so vanilla,' to rest. Vanilla is a hell of a flavor (which I prefer to chocolate(you sound white, gareth)) that is seriously for BALLERS only at like $6/bean retail. So, any vanilla bean cake is one I'll try in an instant. I particularly like one recipe I have from a bakery I worked at that coats the cake with a vanilla/sugar glaze, giving it a sugary crust. Yeah...call me Vanilla.2. Almond Croissant- I've been to a few places that try to make this too fancy- adding things like orange flower or rose waters to their almond croissants. Fuck that. Simple is better. The best I've ever eaten are in Saratoga Springs, NY, at Mrs. London's. I worked there for about 9 months, and I've never learned more, ate better, or made such good food. If you're ever visiting the Non, it is worth the extra 45 minute trip to broadway to try their Almond Croissant- brushed with Rum Syrup, it is then just a vehicle for almond paste, almond slivers, and powdered sugar. So NEXT LEVEL it ain't even funny. 1. Almond Macaroons- In a variety of flavors and colors, these BEAUTIFUL cookie confections- WHEN DONE RIGHT- are a marvel. So many good flavors can be made. If you see these frozen at a corporate fuction, AVOID THIS: TERD RELATED.But, if you find yourself in a fine french pattisserie, try all you can. For those in NYC, the lemon, caramel, and vanilla varities from La Maison du Chocolate will get you there.

Comments

• im a savory dude myself.

i like pie.

ps
    hey rosshoggi, there should be a descriptive adjective for heterosity too. i nominate savory

• understand, shiggy. i figured you and aser were really my only hopes on a reply.

...i think i just needed to write that. and i don't have a blog. so, i'm subjecting y'all to it.

• aser will prolly drop some gems on you.

me, i likes the pie pastry. im no expert, but england makes some good ones. mince pie n potahto, jamaican jammies in s. london. and my nz hammie once brought one back from a dairy in his hometown. that was effen good.

i am a huge fan of the corn/ham/mayo and scallion/ham joints in chinatown.

• aser will prolly drop some gems on you.

me, i likes the pie pastry. im no expert, but england makes some good ones. mince pie n potahto, jamaican jammies in s. london. and my nz hammie once brought one back from a dairy in his hometown. that was effen good.

i am a huge fan of the corn/ham/mayo and scallion/ham joints in chinatown.

savory pies are definitely a good look- got through a bike trip of the UK on those. on the NZ variety, someone sent me an article where there is a guy with my exact name who has cornered the market on them in NYC.

The chinatown ones are good- the pork is my jam at dim sum.

• yes! pie! so filling yet so cheap.

the only drawback is, they are usually filled with spices and onions n garlic and you wind up burping that shit the rest of the day.

on a side note, i really enjoyed japanese pastries. i mean, when japanese folls make euro style pastries. they use substantially less sugar. the supermarkets in japan usually have a pastry shop in them. theyre pretty awesome.

mexican pastries get no butt dawg.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    these BEAUTIFUL cookie confections- WHEN DONE RIGHT- are a marvel.

never thought i would read the above sentence on soulstrut.

frozen pastries get the AYO! treatment from me.

• frozen pastries get the AYO! treatment from me.

kinky

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    chocolate-dipped financiers from Colson Patisserie in Park Slope.

(financiers pictured near bottom)

good!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

5. Canele- These little french tea cakes are a marvel of baking chemistry. It is a milky, runny batter flavored with rum, extracts, and citrus zests that you pour into tin molds. We lined our molds with a beeswax/butter mixture to allow them to slide out after their nearly 1 hour baking time.

YES! These are among my very favourite cakes in the world! One of the things I miss most about Montreal is the ready access to caneles. The best are had at Patisserie de Gascogne, which does them in two sizes. Truly a perfect confection.

3. Vanilla Bean Cake- Dude, it is time to put the 'he is so vanilla,' to rest. Vanilla is a hell of a flavor (which I prefer to chocolate(you sound white, gareth)) that is seriously for BALLERS only at like $6/bean retail. So, any vanilla bean cake is one I'll try in an instant. I particularly like one recipe I have from a bakery I worked at that coats the cake with a vanilla/sugar glaze, giving it a sugary crust. Yeah...call me Vanilla.

Another favourite. Did you know that 'vanilla' originates from the Latin word for vagina, which is, in fact, 'vagina'? While quality beans are expensive, they pay for themselves if you keep the husk and place it in your sealed sugar container. Vanilla sugar for days (or months, as the case may be).

2. Almond Croissant- I've been to a few places that try to make this too fancy- adding things like orange flower or rose waters to their almond croissants. Fuck that. Simple is better.

Fantastic, but only when done well, a difficult and rare occurence.

Let me add to the list:

Rugelach. A perfect rugelach is a glorious thing.

Amaretti di Gavi. Simply the best almond cookie, particularly when made with peach pits.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    without fail, every 5-6 weeks my sister makes madeline's with fresh vanilla bean.

madeline + earl grey =

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    without fail, every 5-6 weeks my sister makes madeline's with fresh vanilla bean.

madeline + earl grey =

Madeleines and tea, you say? For some reason the former dipperd into the latter makes me remember things past...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i always go for the palmiers and creme horns

• Well I like little berry tarts and such, but my staple is usually those rainbow cookies. It's all about almonds. I'm a marzipan freak, so anything that comes close if ok by me. I'm in mourning, though, since my beloved Elk candy co. closed down on the upper east side. Best marzipan ever.

I like petit fours glace...

mmmmmm, I'm hungry.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    G,

Have you been to that lil' pastry spot in Kenmore Square?
    It's called like "Yours Truly" or something??
    St**y and I tried to go there last night, but they were
    closed ... we stood with our noses pressed against the glass,
    going "oooo look at the little mousse cups...and that pear tart!!"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm partial to eclairs & any pastries with red bean

• i like a good macaroon.

• PITHIVIERS EVERY DAY ALL DAY

and i know this is not a standard pastry shop staple but this motherfucker right here

is one of the most incredible pastries i've ever eaten. mango mousse, pineapple souffle, roasted pineapple and swiss meringue. fran??ois p is not playing.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Pete's Coffee bearclaws are heaven if you snatch them up really early in the morning while they're still warm.

• i dont have much of a sweet tooth but sfogliatelle are my shit

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Well I like little berry tarts

Ninety percent of SoulStrut posters = little berry tarts

Why don't you come here more often?

• Well I like little berry tarts

Ninety percent of SoulStrut posters = little berry tarts

Why don't you come here more often?

hahaha!

but dude seriously, small berry tarts arent that good. theyre messy and all the fruits and berries usually fall off. its like u need a small knife and fork to eat them shits and i seen places that actually hook up the mini cutlery.