thinking about the s.erato jump

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I've been wanting to make the s.erato jump for awhile, but I wanted to wait for it to be updated, bugs worked out, etc. Right now it has pretty much become the standard and I am liking the new features (white label, hot keys...)So for the people that have been using this, what is the deal with your record buying habits since you started? It seems like for new Hip-Hop you could just buy (or download) CDs. If it is a song you really like or need the instrumental/acapella, then you could cop the 12". Basically, full length LPs get cut out of the deal. To me this seems like a huge upside, because even when I buy vinyl I always want a digital copy for the iPod/computer. Any type of reissue would also seem like a CD purchase rather than analog. Also, I cop doubles of my favorite beats on 12" so this would definitely be cut out with the ability to have instant doubles on s.eratoBasically, OG Vinyl & Vinyl exclusive releases would be the only record buying.Anyway, I am just kind of trying to wrap my head around all of this??????what's your system?peace..

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DO THAT SHIT

• I think you should read your own post, as it structures almost everyones argument to buy it.

i did it about 2 months ago and it has been crazy. from the big things of saving your back from records, to having any song at the drop of a dime. definitely after you get it, keep up on all the tricks. i still haven't fucked with relative mode and cue points which is a huge plus. oh and swapping libraries/tracks is some seriously next level pacman steez. watch your bit rates homies

oh and the little things are kinda dope like not getting hangnails... werd

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    funkyexample, ONLY use relative mode for like a week or so and i guarantee you will not switch back to absolute

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    do that poop. beside not breaking my back, my condo stays more tidy because i have a habit of changing out crates and letting them sit on the floor until i can't walk before i reshelf them... with Microwave, shits already packed up! i don't spend an hour pulling records for this gig and having to pull another set for the next gig. i haven't effed with the relative mode either, but i know its the hot poop.

• I think you should read your own post, as it structures almost everyones argument to buy it.

Yeah, I know that I want to buy it. I don't really need anyone to convince me, but I just wanted to hear from users as to how their VINYL buying changed after switching.

Another thing, do you guys use vinyl at all when you spin or only if you didnt have time to rip it onto your harddrive yet?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    do that shit! U won't regret it!

As a rule, I don't buy new records or underground hip-hop records anymore. I stopped buyin' that stuff even before I copped Microwave. There's a couple of people I still check for and that's it. My hip-hop record collection is pretty thoro up until about 2001.

I still dig a lot, but it's more stuff that hasn't been reissued, the more obscure shit.. and sample stuff of course.

In sayin' that, I found a stack of $1 common records I've alreay got on Microwave and I copped 'em for the fuck of it. I love records still and will still buy records till I die, theres just certain things that were a necessity to have for the "club" that I don't have to pay for.

DJing @ Ministry of Sound requires a bunch of pop music and hip-POP shit I don't have. Microwave saved me from buyin' all that weak shit and having it on wax!

www.digiwaxx.com
    www.whitelabel.net

Get your jiggy on!

peace.

• One last thing, where can I get a good deal on Microwave with international shipping? I know you can cop it for around $500 in the US but in Japan it is mad expensive.... $650

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    its good to keep a couple pieces of actual wax in the bag as there are times when shit doesn't fly right. do youself a favor and cop a 9v power adaptor too - BIG HELP.

and to answer the question of vinyl purchasing, i haven't slowed down at all. still spend more money than i have on owning too many records. peace.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it depends on what you plan out. every person i know playing top 40 garbage think its a godsend. it's a good idea to spend some time ripping records or finding mp3s of stuff you want to play out.

• funkyexample, ONLY use relative mode for like a week or so and i guarantee you will not switch back to absolute

Yeah.. do this immediately. I've had Microwave for a few months now and just messed with relative mode today for the first time. I don't know what I was doing all that time. Check the Microwave forum for the thread "absolute versus relative mode" or something like that. If you read the whole thing you'll be ready to go in relative mode.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    funkyexample, ONLY use relative mode for like a week or so and i guarantee you will not switch back to absolute

Yeah.. do this immediately. I've had Microwave for a few months now and just messed with relative mode today for the first time. I don't know what I was doing all that time. Check the Microwave forum for the thread "absolute versus relative mode" or something like that. If you read the whole thing you'll be ready to go in relative mode.

as soon as the fixed the sticker drift in relative mode, sh*t was over.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    One last thing, where can I get a good deal on Microwave with international shipping? I know you can cop it for around $500 in the US but in Japan it is mad expensive.... $650

look for dj stores going out of business. my man mint (from this thread) helped me get a deal on s.erato for only 320 at a shop close to his crib. I only wish I bought my mixer then too (empath for only 500 at that time...... )

• good news...over the last couple of days I turned the remaining $2 in my online poker account into $180 so I might be able to cop s.erato sooner than expected