steve jobs: risky business....

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
yay or nay, discuss....

Comments

• I haven't got a clue as to what you're referring to!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Oh man, can I get a late pass? Is Apple making OSX compatible with Pentium machines?

SG

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Maybe now but if you would have baught in last fall, you would be a happy fiddler.

Oh man, can I get a late pass? Is Apple making OSX compatible with Pentium machines?

SG

Has it been announced? Actually, I've heard that their goona have pentium manufacture their cpu. In the last couple of years it went, Moterolla, IBM, and now this? I don't give a fuck. Whatever makes the OS run better because that's what it's all about for me.

See, I didn't even know they were called intel. :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, It's not the hardware that is the problem with PC's, bar shitty componants and manufacturing, it's Windows.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    OK, I'm not the most technical of people, so plaese to enlighten me if this is a dumbass question:

If I purchase a new Pentium-chipped Dell with Windows preloaded, can I wipe the Windows OS from the computer and install OSX in its place?

SG

Correct me if I'm wrong, It's not the hardware that is the problem with PC's, bar shitty componants and manufacturing, it's Windows.

OK, I'm not the most technical of people, so plaese to enlighten me if this is a dumbass question:

If I purchase a new Pentium-chipped Dell with Windows preloaded, can I wipe the Windows OS from the computer and install OSX in its place?

SG

It means Apple machines will have an intel processor, not that OS X can run on a PC. I doubt that will ever happen.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    All very interesting stuff...

But I'm more interested in any dual-core processor talk and the price dropping...

As far as windows... I've never once had a problem on XP.

Speaking of JOBS... Anyone ever watch that movie Pirates of Silicon Valley? Just watched it lastnight... Was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Interesting to say the least.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

No you cannot... But there are emulators out there that you can do this right now...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said.

Can we finally see a G5 power book? Maybe the intel chips will do the trick.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    it means in 2006 Mac will introduce Intel processor chips into it's lower models like the Mac Mini and introduce them into the higher end G5's and probably G6's by 2007. Intel makes better chips anyways so this is a good thing. currently IBM makes the Power PC chips used in all Macs.

and I run Windows XP professional on Virtual PC on my G4 and it works fine. I only installed it because the testing software I need to study my Series 7 is PC only. Aside from that I don't use it much.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    well it won't be called a g5 powerbook........g5's are powerpc chips made by IBM. Basically today's announcement means there'll never be a g5 powerbook.

IBM loafed on developing the g5 chip, the promised 3.0ghz chip never arrived. Also the aforementioned heat/energy issues w/ the chip's application in mobile applications. Also Jobs tried to lowball IBM into a discount but they said no. IBM called his bluff and today was the result.

My emotions are mixed, nostalgia is probably playing a part in it. We shall see..........hardware sales for the next year will be tough, that's for sure.

well it won't be called a g5 powerbook........g5's are powerpc chips made by IBM. Basically today's announcement means there'll never be a g5 powerbook.

You may be right, however, the G4 power books are currently made with power pc chips as well, yet they are still called G4s. That's not the point though, what I want is a new, more powerful Powerbook. As apple shows, a name is just a name.

You may be right, however, the G4 power books are currently made with power pc chips as well, yet they are still called G4s. That's not the point though, what I want is a new, more powerful Powerbook. As apple shows, a name is just a name.

no no... he's saying it won't be called a G5 POWER book because of the lack of a G5 POWER PC chip for laptops. it'll be called a G5 *insert name of new chip* book

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Weird, they've been called powerbooks long before the PPC line of chips.

I know what he's saying. My point is, the G4 power book has included a Motorola & an IBM chip. You dig?

It's not important anyway.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    powerpc was a joint venture between Apple, Motorola & IBM. Motorola handled production of the g3 and g4 chips then it was shifted over to IBM for g5's. If you want to get nerdy about it, here's a concise history of the ppc chip.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/ppc-1.ars/1

aschrock is correct, powerbooks had their name before the advent of ppc chips. What' I'm saying is that the new intel chip series will not be called g5. Pentium M might be what apple is looking for in notebook usage. It's all speculation right now.

I am skeptical about the performance issues running both ppc and x86 code concurrently. We will have to see how it is handled next year.

I'm just glad I don't have to answer anymore questions about powerbook g5's coming out.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    so mr. baseball, we were wrong. IBM is going to fall off the 5 major powers, and Intel is who we should be checking for in the next 2 years.

Monopoly time, folks:

Adobe + Macromedia + Apple + Intel + Sony

I can see it all happening. Next thing you know, there will be one global currency.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the thing w/ IBM is, I don't think they're too concerned w/ this loss. They've already sold their personal computing division off to Lenovo. Apple was their last remaining card in the personal computing deck. Their focus has long ago shifted over to providing chips for other things..............xbox 360, nintendo and sony will all use IBM chips in their next gaming consoles.

That's why I love this place. I learn so much.

I know what he's saying. My point is, the G4 power book has included a Motorola & an IBM chip. You dig?

It's not important anyway.

oh, haha..

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    All I know is that I got an iPod lawsuit settlement shit in the mail today and I'm cashing in on that shit! Hopefully the Intel chips will allow Apple to price their computers a bit cheaper so I can get one.