Advice From Buyers & Sellers Please

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Sold an LP on ebay for $14.14. I offer every type of shipping imaginable and this buyer choose Media w/o Insurance. When he received the LP he contacted me and said it had arrived broken and suggested it was shipped that way. I told him that if he did not insure it I was not going to do it for him and I could assure him the LP was not shipped broken.He then wrote back and said the condition of the record was bad as well and that he was sending it back to me so I could "do the right thing". I replied that I offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and that if his complaint had initially been condition I would have offered a refund and that I would inspect the LP when it arrived back to me and promised to "do the right thing"So today the LP arrives and the condition is as represented in the listing but it is indeed broken. And the pieces that broke off were inside the inner sleeve.So good folks of SS, I'm going to do whatever the consensus here(and at weirdrecordsthatsuck.com) decries. Should I refund his $$$ or tell him he's SOL???Let me also add that it was shipped in a new, proper LP mailer.

Comments

• Sold an LP on ebay for $14.14. I offer every type of shipping imaginable and this buyer choose Media w/o Insurance. When he received the LP he contacted me and said it had arrived broken and suggested it was shipped that way. I told him that if he did not insure it I was not going to do it for him and I could assure him the LP was not shipped broken.

He then wrote back and said the condition of the record was bad as well and that he was sending it back to me so I could "do the right thing". I replied that I offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and that if his complaint had initially been condition I would have offered a refund and that I would inspect the LP when it arrived back to me and promised to "do the right thing"

Let me also add that it was shipped in a new, proper LP mailer.

Had this happen to me once for a $10 record, I simply just refunded him minus shipping to be nice... but I don't think you're obligated. In your situation, offering to refund half the cost of the record could be a good compromise. All in all, it's only $14, and having to sweat over some irate bonehead might not be worth the hassle.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Rock, I would ask for the tiny little piece that's missing before taking further action.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Rock, I would ask for the tiny little piece that's missing before taking further action.

I hear ya dude.....I figure glued back together it's at least a VG-

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Let me also ad that that is the more suspect broken record I have ever seen. Records won't break like that. You know this.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    He should have sent the original packaging back. I would think that the trauma that caused that damage would have been visible on the outside of the box.

If there was no trauma to the outside of the box it would be nice to take full responsiblitie. If the box was damaged in shipping, and he declined insurance, you are under no obligation.

To be nice I would offer him the cost of the record off the next auction he wins from you.

If you are nice about it, chances are he will be too.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Don't glue it back together. With a wood burning tool you can melt those pieces back into place. Just fit them back together, then gently run the tool over the seams until they are melted back in place.

You may need to put a sharp end on the burner and using a magnifying glass recut some of the grooves where the seams are. It will be better than new! This also works on cracked records.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    For such a small dollar amount, I say give him a full refund, consider it charity, then move on with life. Principles, shminciples.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    And make sure to subtract $14.14 + the cost of media shipping from what you had already planned to give to charity in 2007, if you do in fact do that type of thing.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    And make sure to subtract $14.14 + the cost of media shipping from what you had already planned to give to charity in 2007, if you do in fact do that type of thing.

LOL....I just need a good name for this guy to put down as a "Charity".

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    or Rock can bury the broken record in his backyard and let a hustler from the future take the benefit.

• For such a small dollar amount, I say give him a full refund, consider it charity, then move on with life. Principles, shminciples.

in the end, if he broke it, he'll get his, somehow someway like organized