Polydor Indian help...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Kishore Kumar - Moods-1 LPAmar Shakti - Soundtrack LPManmohan Desai - This Is... LPFound those 3 LPs in a local store out here. Anyone familiar with 'em? Any sample potential on them or funky tracks?I don't know shit all about Indian records... I only got the Quarbani soundtrack which is cool.peace.

Comments

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts

no mention of elise gets you no attention on this topic.

If you can list the song titles it might give me a clue. The Kishore Kumar LP could be a solo release or a compilation of songs he performed from various movies of the time. What years did these releases come out?

A bit more info: "Amar Shakti" means Etermal Strength. More info: http://www.movietalkies.com/movies/index.asp?MovieId=11163

Released in 1978. Soundtrack composed by the inimitable Laxmikant-Pyarelal, composer duo of note, so you might find some good songs and sampleworthy bits. L-P were known for sweet melodies and folksy rhythms.

Manmohan Desai was a well-known film director. He directed hit movies like Amar Akbar Anthony and Parvarish. the LP probably has well-known songs from his movies so it'll be a random assortment of songs by various music directors with various singers. more: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0220828/

hope that helps....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Kishore Kumar - Moods-1 LP
    Amar Shakti - Soundtrack LP
    Manmohan Desai - This Is... LP

Found those 3 LPs in a local store out here. Anyone familiar with 'em? Any sample potential on them or funky tracks?

I don't know shit all about Indian records... I only got the Quarbani soundtrack which is cool.

peace.

These won't be bringin' the funk most likely.

• I don't know shit all about Indian records...

peace.

just copped these.

great place to get aquainted cause of the super-in-depth linernotes and pics.

also recommend:

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The Shalimar soundtrack is a must. Prolly the most sought after Polydor Indian release. I'm also very fond of Dum Maro Dum, which was touched most recently by Method Man & Busta. Don is cool. Okko's Sitar's & Electronics. The Dave Pike Set has some banging sitar tracks.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    The Shalimar soundtrack is a must. Prolly the most sought after Polydor Indian release. I'm also very fond of Dum Maro Dum, which was touched most recently by Method Man & Busta. Don is cool. Okko's Sitar's & Electronics. The Dave Pike Set has some banging sitar tracks.

Although most of these are cool songs i thought the novelty appeal of this stuff had worn off after Bombay the Hard Way a while back... are people sill looking for 70s Bollywood funk rares?? I guess the french and germans are still digging for that Indian vinyl masala, too bad the sound quality on most of these releases is terrible since the masters never get restored, usually what you hear is a copy of a copy of a beat up old master. i sometimes wonder how good some of these classic songs would have sounded if they were properly recorded...

• are people sill looking for 70s Bollywood funk rares?? ... i sometimes wonder how good some of these classic songs would have sounded if they were properly recorded...

I love the music, almost as much as I love watching the movies.

as for the recording quality... isn't that kinda like saying, "I wonder how great this super-indy funk 45 woulda sounded if it had been recorded at the CBS studios???" Part of what I love about this ish is that raw garage/bassment flavor- there are always exceptions, but, you know what I mean.

• and that clip isn't nearly as good as the ensuing fight scene with midgets and tomfoolery galore.

another all-time classic:

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Kishore Kumar - Moods-1 LP
    Amar Shakti - Soundtrack LP
    Manmohan Desai - This Is... LP

Found those 3 LPs in a local store out here. Anyone familiar with 'em? Any sample potential on them or funky tracks?

I don't know shit all about Indian records... I only got the Quarbani soundtrack which is cool.

peace.

the kishore kumar and manmohan desai are comps. if you hit me with the song names i can get at you with more info. manmohan was a solid director (mostly amitabh hits) so there maybe good stuff.

amar shakti came out in 1978 and the heads behind it were Laxmikant Shantaram Kudalkar and Pyarelal R. Sharma (nicknamed as L-P). ive never hurd/watch the film, but that's a good period in bollywood (circa qurbani). problem is theres a lot of terds considering bollywood has/does put out a crap load of movies per year. if id have to guess it might be a dead end...

whats the deal though, can't you listen to them?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    o and heres a shamless bollywood mix plug:

http://computermusicradio.com/hey_now_brown_cow/Hey_Now_Brown_Cow_10_22_06.m4a

i posted this a while back, but i tricked out the mix. if you play it in itunes you'll see what i mean.

(sorry for the thread hijack)

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Word... record sto lady is a Nazi, no listening. I thought I would just put it out there to see what's up!

here's pics of the records, fuck it, i might just cop 'em see what's up. thanks for the feedback.

peace.