Your LEAST-favorite producers or engineers

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Re-watching SOME KIND OF MONSTER this weekend, i realized exactly how much I dont like ANYTHING that Bob Rock has ever touched. Then I started thinking that Id never liked anything that Bruce Fairbarn ever did. Who are your least favs? Whose "sound" is like nails on a chalk board to you?I guess we should open this up to ALL generes, but lets not make this into a Pro Vs. Anti ScottStorch thread.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Daniel Lanois.

Even though he seldom (if ever) works with anybody that I give a damn about, most of what I've heard has this edge-less, "adult alternative" sound (a "WXRT" kind of sound, for those of you who live in Chicago). He's produced discs by the Neville Brothers and U2. Decided I didn't like jim years ago when I viewed a Lanois documentary in college.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    How about mastering engineers? Whoever mastered the Amy Winehouse album should be smacked around by any decent Samoan football team.

Otherwise, my top nomination for one of the worst mastering engineers goes to Suha Gur[/b].

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    How about mastering engineers? Whoever mastered the Amy Winehouse album should be smacked around by any decent Samoan football team.

For real! That record could be so amazing but it sounds like some digital garbage all maximized for radio play. Jim Abbiss is a dope engineer, did stuff with Josh and Stateless among others. All the dudes at Fantasy in Berkeley know their stuff (especially mics and outboard gear), even if they don't like hip-hop. Neill King who engineered Green Day's "Dookie" is a phenomenal engineer as well. Whoever was the engineer for Cymande was on some next level business as well.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    edge-less, "adult alternative" sound (a "WXRT" kind of sound, for those of you who live in Chicago)

Damn do I hate that station. Theoretically, it should be my favorite -- they could play a nice mix of stuff -- but somehow I always hear like Sherly Crow and some wanky electric blues. It's horrible.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    that dude Flood. All his shit sounds too compressed for my audiophile ears. And don't come here talking about Berlin era Bowie, give me air around my instruments, ok?