slipmats, so many to choose from...

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
It is time for me to get new slipmats (I've had the same for about 8 years now). So, I start pokin around on the interweb and I am assulted with all of these 'new and improved' slipmats with features such as: thick felt, slick bottoms, etc etc. Whats the deal? I'm used to just regular sturdy felt. Do any of these new changes work or are they just gimmicks? And does anyone know a good source to get ones?lay it on me, thanks. -k

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    been using butter rugs lately, I like, I like...

• rpmrpm 144 Posts

the butter rugs are crazy ... it seems strange to have so little seperating the viny from the platter.
    its like the old record-sleeve-slip-mat dealy. not for the raers, but i never had them ay'way.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

the butter rugs are crazy ... it seems strange to have so little seperating the viny from the platter.
    its like the old record-sleeve-slip-mat dealy. not for the raers, but i never had them ay'way.

I put the butter rugs under regular felt slipmats. Works for me.

One spot I DJ at has these:

Really great for spinning 45s. You can "stop" the record by using those holes.

Also really great for scratching, as they're a tiny bit smaller in diameter than regular mats and fit just inside the lip of the platter for less resistance.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I co-sign the focus slipmats too.

• the butter rugs are crazy ... it seems strange to have so little seperating the viny from the platter.

Also really great for scratching, as they're a tiny bit smaller in diameter than regular mats and fit just inside the lip of the platter for less resistance.

Focus is a good homie of mine. Those slipmats are real dope. he has some shit in the works too so keep an eye out.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Focus is a good homie of mine. Those slipmats are real dope. he has some shit in the works too so keep an eye out.

Word! He's tight with my hommie Flesh O.N.E. (check out www.audio8.com). They trade ideas all the time on some electrical engineer meets evil genius steez.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Yea, I think this is a good way to go. By themselves they are a little to thin.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i use butter rugs for shows. helps reduce record ruble/feedback. stein. .

• I use felt slipmats. Works for me.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I use the felt Technics ones with the gold text, and have cut-out plastic record inner sleeves underneath to give it that extra bit of '9.99 butter rug' ness.

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    Yes i also use those plastic things that came with my technics mats....which actually came with my 1200's. Before i used to use the clear plastic record sleeves underneath my mats...theese are much easier. Anyhow my technics mats got dirty after a few years and I just got asome Stones throw ones ...very nice but white.... so imseeing the dirt more...which makes me wonder how dirty the previous black technics mats really got.... anyone got any siggestions for ones that are dirt resistant? (i know its a dumb question...prolly not such a thing)
    I just get nervous putting a $100 45 on a dirty mat.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

I've gotta get me some of these.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    anyone got any siggestions for ones that are dirt resistant? (i know its a dumb question...prolly not such a thing)
    I just get nervous putting a $100 45 on a dirty mat.

I use these old-as-fuck public enemy slipmats. i'm really attached to them, but so it dirt. I'm gonna have to get me some new ones. Is there anything out there that is dirt/static resistant and also handles well. I really dont want to have 2 sets.