Tribe records question

leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Does anyone know of a comprehensive discography of Tribe records and/or a source of original LP scans?What's the difference between these: Are these the same album? the 2nd one is a pic of the reissue, but wasn't there a vintage pressing w/ this art? If so, which one was first?[sincere thanks.]

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Tribe Discography:

PRSD2212: Wendell Harrison- "An Evening with the Devil"
    PRSD2226: Tribe (Ranelin and Harrison)- "A Message from the Tribe"
    PRSD2228: Marcus Belgrave- "Gemini II"
    PRSD2233: Harold McKinley- "Voices and Rhythms of the Creative Profile"
    TRSD4006: Phil Ranelin- "The Time Is Now"
    TRSD4007: Wendell Harrison- "Farewell to the Welfare"
    TRSD4008: Phil Ranelin- "Vibes from the Tribe"
    TRSD4009: Doug Hammond and David Durrah- "Reflection in the Sea of Nurnen"
    TRSD4010: Mixed Bag- "Mixed Bag's First Album"

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    what about gemini 1?

what about gemini 1?

I wish! Unless you're thinking about the second pressing of Gemini II that Belgrave did himself (with the black and white mask cover) because he felt Tribe handled the distribution of his album poorly.

wait so Gemini II and the Gemini lp on Gem Eye are one in the same?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Yep. The "gem eye" press looks doper tho IMO.

Soul jazz took the artwork from the second press for the recent repress, which is a little confusing! Probably because belgrave already had rights to it (just a guess).

There was an original press of the one with the heads on the cover. It's not listed on the discography here.

There's also a gray cover of "message from the tribe". Hard to explain, it's kind of split down the middle. A picture by the beach in the background maybe???? Same title, different track listing. Only sat it online once. I think it has half tracks from "evening with the devil" and half from "message from the tribe". I think. I'm going by memory. Somebody who owns all these come forth!

There's no gemini I... I think Belgrave himself may be the first "Gemini"

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

i think i just realized this myself... both are on ebay right now.

major thanks to Breakself on the discog.

now what's up with the cover art variations on 'message for the tribe'?

[edit] oh OK... but yeah this stuff is confusing! why is this info so hard to come by? There's not even a Tribe listing on that jazz discography page with all the labels...

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    the second one is the reissue and there wasn't a vintage issue with that cover... the first one you've got there is the OG.

If someone's selling it for more than $10-15 they trippin.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

then someone got took[/b]!!!(?):

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=2553856702

thanks, btw

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    There was an original press of the one with the heads on the cover. It's not listed on the discography here.

There's also a gray cover of "message from the tribe". Hard to explain, it's kind of split down the middle. A picture by the beach in the background maybe???? Same title, different track listing. Only sat it online once. I think it has half tracks from "evening with the devil" and half from "message from the tribe". I think. I'm going by memory. Somebody who owns all these come forth!

wait, you're saying there's an original release with this cover?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

then someone got took[/b]!!!(?):

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=2553856702

thanks, btw

That one is slightly different from the one above...
    if I'm wrong someone please step in

• There was an original press of the one with the heads on the cover. It's not listed on the discography here.

don't own it, but i think the beach cover your talking about is the first issue of 'evening with the devil.' maybe 300 copies pressed, features at least one track that was too out of tune even for the tribe dudes and was either re-recorded or just cut from the second press. info came from a dude who took piano lessons with pamela wise (mrs.wendell).

the second one is the reissue and there wasn't a vintage issue with that cover... the first one you've got there is the OG.

oh wait you were talkinga bout the other LP... nevermind....

Sampo has (or at least, had until very recently) sealed second pressings of "gemini II" for a very reasonable price. Before he had them they went for as much as or MORE THAN (??) the tribe press.

wait, you're saying there's an original release with this cover?

I remember being confused by this as well. As far as I've found there wasn't a Tribe release with the heads on the cover. The discography I posted is from a Tribe mail-order catalogue, so as far as publically released material that should be it. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

SonicReducer? Soulhawk?

don't own it, but i think the beach cover your talking about is the first issue of 'evening with the devil.' maybe 300 copies pressed, features at least one track that was too out of tune even for the tribe dudes and was either re-recorded or just cut from the second press. info came from a dude who took piano lessons with pamela wise (mrs.wendell).

That's got to be the right info then, thanks!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

No, there is a "vintage" pressing of the gem eye, but soul jazz used the same artwork for the recent reissue too. I believe it was pressed in the late 70s????

So you have three pressings.

Gemini II on tribe (pen drawn cover) (1974)

Gemini II on gem eye (black cover) (late 70s??)

Gemini II on soul jazz (2005)

Sampo has (or at least, had until very recently) sealed second pressing copies for a very reasonable price. Before he had them they went for as much as or MORE THAN (??) the tribe press.

I guess I'm splitting hairs here, but is there an OG pressing without text in the white circle on the right? (unlike the one on Popsike?)... and is that one even legit?

this is too fuckin confusing. ya'll need to specify which record you're talkin about when you type

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    haha, I guess what I'm wondering now is if any derivation of this cover is a legit OG pressing (I always thought no)

YES thank you!!! Now I know I'm not crazy...... I saw it once and not since....

I'm pretty sure that LP is half "evening with the devil" and half phil ranelin tracks. Probably the rarest LP #-wise but content-wise not too interesting because all the material came out on successive LPs.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Hey guys, did tribe release any 45s?

ive seen that one before

haha, I guess what I'm wondering now is if any derivation of this cover is a legit OG pressing (I always thought no)

I'm going with 'no'. Especially if you look at the color schemes of the other albums put out by tribe. It wasn't until their seventh release (unless you count the beach front cover posted above) "Vibes from the Tribe" that they really incorporated colors into the covers. The other covers are all dichromatic hand-drawn images.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Hey guys, did tribe release any 45s?

yes, how many I'm not sure of. But, I know that Wendell Harrisons 'fairwell to the wellfare' track appeared on 45. Which is big money by the way, $700+

-k

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Another question:

Is there another label called tribe records?

My boy Leo has a 45 that says Tribe on it...only it's got the profile of an American Indian cat on it. I don't remember the artist.

There were several, including, I believe, some non-lp tracks. I've only seen them on a couple of occasions, and they weren't for sale.

Another question:

Is there another label called tribe records?

My boy Leo has a 45 that says Tribe on it...only it's got the profile of an American Indian cat on it. I don't remember the artist.

Totally unrelated label. Notable, though, for Barbara Lynn's "I'm a Good Woman" 45 among others.

YES thank you!!! Now I know I'm not crazy...... I saw it once and not since....

I'm pretty sure that LP is half "evening with the devil" and half phil ranelin tracks. Probably the rarest LP #-wise but content-wise not too interesting because all the material came out on successive LPs.

Okay, I think I have this sorted. The beach cover was actually a compilation of songs from "A Message from the Tribe" and "Evening with the Devil". How exactly the tracks were chosen, and in what capacity it was released is beyond me, though.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    what about gemini 1?

I wish! Unless you're thinking about the second pressing of Gemini II that Belgrave did himself (with the black and white mask cover) because he felt Tribe handled the distribution of his album poorly.

The kool thing with the black/white mask cover is that its a reuse of another cover, I'm not sure from which record though, I havent investigated it with a flashlight, but if you look inside the cover you can see the cover image from a different LP,... that seems kinda funky in a ghetto-ish way, I quess...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

yeah, this is the ranelin tracks from 'message' with half of 'evening w/ the devil' - completely missing the real hot harrison tracks from 'message' - i.e 'beneficent' etc.

I don't think the 'farewell to welfare' lp was ever released - the 45 mentions 'from the lp...' etc, but I've never seen it( someone prove me wrong with a jpeg plaese...)

---