Microwave vs. Mixer (digitizing question)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Right now, to digitize vinyl, I run my 1200 through my Scratch Live box and then run that into my laptop via USB. My other option would be to hook up the 1200 through my Rane mixer and then output that into the mic jack on my laptop.Anyone want to opine which system would create a BETTER sound file? My old school tendencies says to go with the mixer-->mic jack but I wonder if the Microwave box/USB is actually as good/better.

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    the microwave can take the phono input and transfer "lossless" (albeit analog to digital)... i have yet to find a mic input on a computer that has liked an unbalanced mixer output; tends to overdrive everything. I say run it through the dildo, unless you got an m-box, but that's like doing the same thing in your situation.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The microwave box is WAY better than anything you're gonna get out of the line-in or mic-in on your computer. Can't even compare.

I don't have microwave, but couldn't you take the RCA out on your 56 into the scratchlive box if you wanted to? That might sound good, long as you get your gain structure right.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    That might sound good, long as you get your gain structure right.
    It might sound good, unless the goal is to record off the source as "flat" or "true" as possible. All mixers (and any interface, for that matter) adds it's own sound imprint on to something when you re-record it. Rane mixers tend to sound nice and full though, so it shouldn't be a problem, unless o-dub is going for some music chronicle-ing type shit. Just steer clear of cheapies (vestax, I'm looking at you!) because they sound tinn-y.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The microwave box is WAY better than anything you're gonna get out of the line-in or mic-in on your computer. Can't even compare.

I don't have microwave, but couldn't you take the RCA out on your 56 into the scratchlive box if you wanted to? That might sound good, long as you get your gain structure right.

It's not necessary to use the mixer if you're running the turntable into the Microwave box. The way the set-up works, you plug the turntables into the Microwave box FIRST and then into your mixer. So, if your advice stands, then I'll just keep my set-up as it currently is and digitize my vinyl 1200 --> Microwave --> USB.

Thanks doooods

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

It's not necessary to use the mixer if you're running the turntable into the Microwave box. The way the set-up works, you plug the turntables into the Microwave box FIRST and then into your mixer. So, if your advice stands, then I'll just keep my set-up as it currently is and digitize my vinyl 1200 --> Microwave --> USB.

Thanks doooods

Right, the only reason to run it through the 56 first would be to use the Phono Preamps on the 56 instead of the ones in the ScratchLive box. I'd stick with what you have, if only because adding another stage always creates more noise.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I have not read all the responces you have gotten...so forgive me for potentially being redundant here....but I would avoid going through the micpre on the computer. these typically have a buzz or hum or some other arifact in the signal. plus its harder to get a really hot signal without clipping then the other way (from my experience).

can you afford a simple 24/96, or 24/192 usb soundcard?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I have not read all the responces you have gotten...so forgive me for potentially being redundant here....but I would avoid going through the micpre on the computer. these typically have a buzz or hum or some other arifact in the signal. plus its harder to get a really hot signal without clipping then the other way (from my experience).

can you afford a simple 24/96, or 24/192 usb soundcard?

my PB 15" has a pretty solid line-in input with good fidelity. but a soundcard is always a plus.

ive never run stuff into microwave for recording via mic input. i was always under the impression that this was not line level and would overdrive the mic pre.

maybe im