got an estimate for record shelves

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
$3300 for floor to ceiling libary stylee--for 10Gs of terds. This is nothing real special just straight up pine painted white. The records are the piece.Who's had permanent records shelves put up in their house? I'm so tired of multiple different shelves around the house. I want one room covered, no genres and ABC.

Comments

• $3000....damn. If you got the cash I say go for it though. It will definitely look insanely nice??????can't really beat a wall of records

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    in my old falls chuch house i had floor to 12 foot ceiling shelves,
    cheap wood painted white
    & dow rod deviders
    ($200 1988)
    & around 1992 had bedroom wall done in nice stained pine ($300)

new place's orginal owner was a lawyer who had many
    rooms with entire walls of built in cases !

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    cheap wood painted white
    & dow rod deviders
    ($200 1988)

so, i need another estimate?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    cheap wood painted white
    & dow rod deviders
    ($200 1988)

they were built 15+ years ago

local handy type guys
    one man gang built the addition room
    & threw in the 2 walls worth of cheap wood shelves for next to nothing
    worked great, needed a ladder to reach the top 4 shelves
    the bedroom ones looked very nice
    that fellow also did some kitchen counters & bathroom wood work

i'm sure you can catch a better deal in richtown

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

$3,000 sounds like too much for having a wall of shelves constructed. then again, i don't know the capacity that you're trying to house, or if you're having anything fancy done with finished edges or whatever.

talk to folks who've had some shit built out in your area. i had a couple stores in nyc, and really knew nothing about nothing when it came to building furniture, acquiring carpenters, costs (materials, labor), etc., but after asking around and getting some quotes from a range of folks, i learned a lot that ended up saving me a lot of time and money.

make sure you have someone that can vouch for the work, and take it upon yourself to investigate what they've done. i walked around the neighborhood and looked at different custom-built furniture / fixtures in stores and just asked them who made their stuff, roughly how much it cost, how long it took them, etc. if the people are happy with their work, they'll probably be more than willing to help you out and give their person the reference; if not, they'd probably warn you not to fuck with dude.

in the end, i selected this contract worker to build some shit out for less than half than the cost of what some other dude quoted, and in half the time. problem was, he was old school chinese dude, and i can't speak canto, so i had a friend who was doing the translation. he brought in a crew of heads for different projects (sawing, building, painting, etc.) and knocked that shit out.

a concern that you might have would be time and space. if they could build the shit in a day would be perfect, but it could runs some fools a week or so to do this. also, the less time they spend at your house making a mess / noise, the better for your household. after your dudes run measurements and dimensions on what you're looking at, you can ask them to cut and prefab some pieces off premises (at their shop / lab) before installing at your home. a disadvantage to this is that you can't really monitor what's going on, say if dude's doing something different that what you envisioned.

also, look into the cost of the materials. make sure whoever you choose doesn't try to get over on you with costs of materials. chances are, they get better rates on materials and acquire what is needed more readily. pine is easy to obtain and is decently priced compared to other woods.

also, if you got cash, maybe you can strike a better deal.

communication is the key. drawings / renderings / pictures do wonders in getting your point across if you don't know the jargon.

good luck.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

$3,000 sounds like too much for having a wall of shelves constructed. then again, i don't know the capacity that you're trying to house, or if you're having anything fancy done with finished edges or whatever.

talk to folks who've had some shit built out in your area. i had a couple stores in nyc, and really knew nothing about nothing when it came to building furniture, acquiring carpenters, costs (materials, labor), etc., but after asking around and getting some quotes from a range of folks, i learned a lot that ended up saving me a lot of time and money.

make sure you have someone that can vouch for the work, and take it upon yourself to investigate what they've done. i walked around the neighborhood and looked at different custom-built furniture / fixtures in stores and just asked them who made their stuff, roughly how much it cost, how long it took them, etc. if the people are happy with their work, they'll probably be more than willing to help you out and give their person the reference; if not, they'd probably warn you not to fuck with dude.

in the end, i selected this contract worker to build some shit out for less than half than the cost of what some other dude quoted, and in half the time. problem was, he was old school chinese dude, and i can't speak canto, so i had a friend who was doing the translation. he brought in a crew of heads for different projects (sawing, building, painting, etc.) and knocked that shit out.

a concern that you might have would be time and space. if they could build the shit in a day would be perfect, but it could runs some fools a week or so to do this. also, the less time they spend at your house making a mess / noise, the better for your household. after your dudes run measurements and dimensions on what you're looking at, you can ask them to cut and prefab some pieces off premises (at their shop / lab) before installing at your home. a disadvantage to this is that you can't really monitor what's going on, say if dude's doing something different that what you envisioned.

also, look into the cost of the materials. make sure whoever you choose doesn't try to get over on you with costs of materials. chances are, they get better rates on materials and acquire what is needed more readily. pine is easy to obtain and is decently priced compared to other woods.

also, if you got cash, maybe you can strike a better deal.

communication is the key. drawings / renderings / pictures do wonders in getting your point across if you don't know the jargon.

good luck.

thanks a lot. i really hope to get something around $1500, but we'll see. i'm gonna make the drawing for the next contractors. those tips are great.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    1500 should still get you one of those ladders on a track.

As soon as someone starts talking about how they use better materials than all the other guys, and that's why it costs so much, walk away.

• 1500 should still get you one of those ladders on a track.

As soon as someone starts talking about how they use better materials than all the other guys, and that's why it costs so much, walk away.

They should really break the cost down into material and labor. If they are unwilling to do that they are not to be trusted. Once they price the material you can easily check behind them and then it is a matter of how much you are willing to spend on labor. A decent carpenter should have at the very least pictures of their work and they should be able to give you some references that are not just his uncle joe up the street.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hello,

I'm not really familiar with your local market, but 3 grand is kinda nuts. Half that is more realistic. I had some nice cabinets built for myself that cost me about 200 bucks out of pine which hold 1000 records. I'm in the biz & have some good connections, but you should be able to find some deals out there. I'd try calling cabinet makers, dudes who build those kitchen cabinets. Supply a drawing to dude, ask for a price & pay cash under the table.

peace

h