Racist MLK Jr. party

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Man, if you thought the pimps and hoes party was racist.....http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070125/D8MS8LP00.htmlPictures: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0125071mlk1.htmlMLK Party Causes Uproar on Texas Campus[/b]By JEFF CARLTONDALLAS (AP) - Authorities at Tarleton State University said they plan to investigate a Martin Luther King Jr. Day party that mocked black stereotypes by featuring fried chicken, malt liquor and faux gang apparel."I feel like there is no excuse for this type of ignorance," said Donald Ray Elder, president of the Stephenville school's chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.Photographs posted on social networking Web site Facebook.com showed partygoers wearing Afro wigs and fake gold and silver teeth. One photo showed students "mocking how African-Americans do step shows," Elder said. In another picture, a student is dressed as Aunt Jemima and carries a gun."That upsets me," Elder said. "That's someone who knows nothing about Dr. King, because Dr. King was totally about nonviolence."Wanda Mercer, the school's vice president of student life, said an investigation was planned into the Jan. 15 party.More than 400 students attended a university-sponsored forum Wednesday night that Elder described as "a shaky baby step" in bridging a divide between black and white students on the campus, which had about 400 black students out of 7,800 overall last semester.Elder said he sensed a racial divide at the forum, with black students sitting on one side of the room and whites on the other."It was civil, but it also escalated into a shouting match," he said in a telephone interview afterward.Some of the students shown in the photos apologized, Elder said.University President Dennis P. McCabe said the photographs were reprehensible."I am personally insulted by these photographs and am disappointed that Tarleton students have demonstrated such insensitivity," he said.Stephenville is about 60 miles southwest of Fort Worth.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Anybody actually suprised by this? I'm not.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Elder said he sensed a racial divide at the forum

• I think this is an instance when this can be used. Like Dizzy said though I don't find this suprising because there are a lot of dumb motherfuckers out there.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    More than 400 students attended a university-sponsored forum Wednesday night that Elder described as "a shaky baby step" in bridging a divide between black and white students on the campus, which had about 400 black students out of 7,800 overall last semester.

Elder said he sensed a racial divide at the forum, with black students sitting on one side of the room and whites on the other.[/b]

What century are we in? This is not what King had in mind when he wanted children of all races to play together. Instead, the party goers are "playing" dress up of how blacks are portrayed in the media.

Was this black-side/white-side forum division encouraged or self-imposed, I wonder?

Either way, it is a sad commentary on the party goers perceptions of African Americans at that school. Furthermore, the black-white forum division demonstrates how easily one ignorant party can polarize a student body. This situation is the most troubling to me because it points at much larger, fundamental race-related issues that are most likely taking place at that school.

I'm shaking my head right now. Truly disappointing. I can only hope they have a round table discussion sometime soon. Play with[/b] each other, not play each other.

• Was this black-side/white-side forum division encouraged or self-imposed, I wonder?

When I went to Temple University, which is a fairly diverse school as far as student population there was still a very visible self-imposed divide in places like the cafeteria. It never seemed to me like it was an issue of direct racism or hate but more an issue of people socializing with people of the same race. I am not saying that this is a good thing but it is something that tends to happen.

The NYT had a really good series a few years back on kids hanging out with different races until they reach high school. Once high school starts kids start hanging out with kids in their own racial group.

If I were a black student at the school where this shit happened I would probably sit as far away from the white students as possible. Preferably at another fucking school. Really though I hope these fucktards see some repercussions. Sadly they will probably just get a slap on the wrist and this incident will decrease black enrollment at the school and the problem will just get worse.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anybody actually suprised by this? I'm not.

Thank you. Why is this news?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not that it makes it any less disgusting, but from
    those photos it appears that there were around 12 people
    at this party, at best.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I think this is an instance when this can be used. Like Dizzy said though I don't find this suprising because there are a lot of dumb motherfuckers out there.

Young America is addicted to irony. Nothing is real to these idiots.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I blame the news for giving these attention whores the time of day

• Everyone I have ever met or knew from Tarleton St. has been an annoying dipshit...that school is mostly white/small town Texas meatheads. It is a school for rednecks that cant into Texas A&M...so this isnt surprising at all. Stephenville is a stereotypical, right wing, rural/suburban shithole.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I doubt if any of those kids were racist. Maybe ignorant, but a lot of White people like MLK so it's not really a race thing at all. Now that we have ended affirmative action and become a color blind society there is no racism.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Maybe ignorant

Maybe.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I doubt if any of those kids were racist. Maybe ignorant, but a lot of White people like MLK so it's not really a race thing at all. Now that we have ended affirmative action and become a color blind society there is no racism.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I don't find this suprising because there are a lot of dumb WHITE PEOPLE out there.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Everyone I have ever met or knew from Tarleton St. has been an annoying dipshit...that school is mostly white/small town Texas meatheads. It is a school for rednecks that cant into Texas A&M...so this isnt surprising at all. Stephenville is a stereotypical, right wing, rural/suburban shithole.

• this "party" looks like it had exactly four people in attendance.