Myspace Music Etiquette for DJ's

baggiobaggio 62 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Hey all,A question more out of ignorance if anything. I'm just throwing up a myspace music site and wish to add on some audio of some of my favourite tracks that I spin out as a dj. I have noticed their warning regarding putting up audio files that one does not have a copyright to yet I still see dj's doing it regardless. What's your take on this; I can see how putting up an artist's music may be beneficial for promotion, yet I can also see how one may frown upon it. Any harm then in just playing some files and sourcing it properly?Your feedback is much appreciated.b

Comments

• personally, I wouldn't just put someone else's track up on a music page. I only put up blends or mixtape snippets or remixes I do.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Yeah ... depends on what kind of DJ you are. For example, I do a little blending, but my primary focus is selecting songs (I started in radio). So, on MySpace, I threw some recordings of funk 45s to give an example of what you might hear. Though, if I spun, say house (or just put a lot of focus on blends) I'd want to showcase my blends.

I wouldn't worry much about copyright ... doesn't seem like they're coming after anyone. Though, who knows, RIAA may send some officers to your door.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    A few weeks ago I tried to upload a remix of Three 6 Mafia's Stay High, but right as the upload was finished I got a message stating that this song was copyrighted and that I didn't own the rights... They froze my uploading privileges for a few days (I couldn't even upload a picture).

I received this e mail :
    "Your recent attempt to post an audio file has been stopped by the MySpace Content Filter at the request of the party claiming to own the copyright to that audio. You are not allowed to post content if you do not own the copyright or have the copyright owner's permission. You are not the copyright owner to content unless you created the content or have received an assignment or license from the creator. "

The name of the file was something like Three6Mafia_remix.mp3, so I changed the name to something less obvious to re-post it when my account was back to normal, but the same thing happened again !

The strange thing is that yesterday I posted three covers of Hurt So Bad by El Chicano, Nancy Wilson and Nancy Holloway with no problem.

So my guess is that it's safe to rip off old songs, but don't try to mess with any recent major release !

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Hey all,

A question more out of ignorance if anything. I'm just throwing up a myspace music site and wish to add on some audio of some of my favourite tracks that I spin out as a dj. I have noticed their warning regarding putting up audio files that one does not have a copyright to yet I still see dj's doing it regardless. What's your take on this; I can see how putting up an artist's music may be beneficial for promotion, yet I can also see how one may frown upon it. Any harm then in just playing some files and sourcing it properly?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

b

I would say that if you are posting your original music than thats Kosher. But if you want to do mixes, thats different because of copyrights and shit.

Post a link to your mix (example your wepage, or whatevs)
    For example: CLICK HERE FOR MY MIX![/b]

I know someone who used a certain sample in a track and it wasnt allowed on the music page, but if its a mix..I would just make a link.

peas and good luck to you!

What is your page btw?

I wanna check it.

e-mutha-fukin-lise.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    A few weeks ago I tried to upload a remix of Three 6 Mafia's Stay High, but right as the upload was finished I got a message stating that this song was copyrighted and that I didn't own the rights... They froze my uploading privileges for a few days (I couldn't even upload a picture).

I received this e mail :
    "Your recent attempt to post an audio file has been stopped by the MySpace Content Filter at the request of the party claiming to own the copyright to that audio. You are not allowed to post content if you do not own the copyright or have the copyright owner's permission. You are not the copyright owner to content unless you created the content or have received an assignment or license from the creator. "

The name of the file was something like Three6Mafia_remix.mp3, so I changed the name to something less obvious to re-post it when my account was back to normal, but the same thing happened again !

The strange thing is that yesterday I posted three covers of Hurt So Bad by El Chicano, Nancy Wilson and Nancy Holloway with no problem.

So my guess is that it's safe to rip off old songs, but don't try to mess with any recent major release !

Wow...I just assumed the disclaimer was just some covering-our-ass legalese on MySpace's part. Now I'm curious what's going to happen when I try to upload some remixes to my page.

• SLURG: did you call the track "Stay Fly"? I'd be willing to bet if you renamed it to something totally different you would not have a problem. I have a Hollaback Girl and My Humps remix on my page but they are called Big Bananas and Let's Hump respectively.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

I received this e mail :

Yeah ... I guess you do have to be careful. I put up some oldies and a couple of new deep funk tunes from Soul Fire and Stark Reality (didn't pop up on the radar for them I guess).

Need for care duly noted.

For the curious