Magma fans - who are they?

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
OK, what the hell is going on with this band? Alright, yeah, Christian Vander invented his own language and mythology. And look, he's got some of the big dog jazz/rock frenchies playing on the records: Teddy Lasry, Didier Lockwood, Jeff Seffer, Jannick Top. SO WHY IS THE MUSIC UNLISTENABLE?Some years ago I boughtand I kinda liked it. Alright, those crazy vocals I could do without, but there's some worthwile instrumental passages. Still got it.Later I boughtwhich is supposed to be one of their "best" albums. Made my ears bleed and not in a good way. A whole greek chorus of those godawful vocals screaming all over the music. Got rid of it with the swiftness. Mekanik Destruktiv Kommandoh. GTFOOHWTProgOrff crap. Since then I've been very apprehensive about Magma LPs. Who in the world listens to them front-to-back thinking: "aaaah this is genius". Am I missing something? Where is that Magma piff?Gnol evil Bulgroz[/b]

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• I like Magma and I have a couple buddies who are HUGE fans...one even has a belt buckle of the magma logo thingy that is on the album covers

I tracked down a couple. These weirdos can't speak french but think they can sing in Koba??an. WHATEVER NERDS!!

- spidey

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    you just dont have the good one.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I know a bunch of ROCK DUDES ie punk indie rock whatever dudes who are into Magma.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

That's what I'm thinking. Please to point me in the direction of the Zeuhl rock that rocks. I want to believe.

• you just dont have the good one.

That's what I'm thinking. Please to point me in the direction of the Zeuhl rock that rocks. I want to believe.

you aint gonna like them...I like them(and I assume others like them) for the over the top, crazy ass operetic vocals with insane fuzz bass and songs in 12/16...its relentlessness and mayhem...I dont think there is going to be anything by them like if you didnt like Mekanik...try the Live LP from 78 , it is toned down in the vocal area, but if you dont like that one then give up on them...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

you aint gonna like them...I like them(and I assume others like them) for the over the top, crazy ass operetic vocals with insane fuzz bass and songs in 12/16...its relentlessness and mayhem...I dont think there is going to be anything by them like if you didnt like Mekanik...try the Live LP from 78 , it is toned down in the vocal area, but if you dont like that one then give up on them...

Yes, my main gripe is with the vocals, which I realize is a major part of the whole Magma thing. It's a shame, because I actually dig the chaos and aggressiveness of the music. I'm usually pretty tolerant to weirdo vocals, but there's just something about that Koba??an opera thing that irks me. Makes me feel like I'm listening to the soundtrack to a cheesy L. Ron Hubbard sci-fi movie. Anyway, the live album has been noted, and I'm still gonna pick up their other stuff if I see it for cheap, just out of curiosity. Thanks, THU.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    these two albums are ok, i dont really check their vocals much, just the instrumentation and both records have some proggy jazzrock moves that i sorta dig,.. even though magma made several lps later on i have the feeling that these two might be the only ones i'd keep....?

(the repress of the grey one)

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Later I bought

which is supposed to be one of their "best" albums. Made my ears bleed and not in a good way. A whole greek chorus of those godawful vocals screaming all over the music. Got rid of it with the swiftness.

Mekanik Destruktiv Kommandoh. GTFOOHWTProgOrff crap.

Since then I've been very apprehensive about Magma LPs. Who in the world listens to them front-to-back thinking: "aaaah this is genius". Am I missing something? Where is that Magma piff?

Gnol evil Bulgroz[/b]

yeah picked that one up at one point as well but i didnt keep it...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I dig Magma

one of the good things about endless Prog blogs on the web is the ease of finding Magma and CAN LPs for download.

That Magma belt buckle sounds nice. One of the all time great band symbols

• I dig Magma

one of the good things about endless Prog blogs on the web is the ease of finding Magma and CAN LPs for download.

Yeah, but how would it fare against the MX-80 Sound symbol? Or, better yet, the Radio Birdman symbol?

I say Radio Birdman symbol fucks Magma symbol's world up and leaves it in the dirt crying in Koba??an.

VIVA LA MAGMA!!

- spidey

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I dig Magma

Yeah, but how would it fare against the MX-80 Sound symbol? Or, better yet, the Radio Birdman symbol?

I say Radio Birdman symbol fucks Magma symbol's world up and leaves it in the dirt crying in Koba??an.

Expressively put. Birdman trumps all IMHO, but how could I see it any other way?

But is Magma better than this?

I think so, but I prefer to listen to BOC.

• I dig Magma

Expressively put. Birdman trumps all IMHO, but how could I see it any other way?

But is Magma better than this?

I think so, but I prefer to listen to BOC.

Oh, I most definitely prefer listening to BOC over Magma. And, while the Magma symbol may be a cut above the BOC's, the BOC have better album cover art (at least the first three BOC records).
    Plus, they got the stun guitar.