Timeline of sampling (again) need your help relate

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
So, I've definitely posted about this a few times on here, and I've gotten a lot of help from various well-informed strutsters. I'm revising the paper that I used this for because I'm presenting it at a confeence soon, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this timeline. I will of course send a huge shoutout to the Strut at the conference. Geah.Pre-History: A Chinese myth states that sliding doors were fitted with a spike of bamboo that, when passed over grooves in the floor pronounced, ???Please close the door.???Pre-history: Early Romans create the Hydraulis organ, an instrument that incorporates the sounds of other instruments. 1800: Orchestrions???a type of organ???imitate all instruments of the orchestra.1850???s: Bellows are used in experimental devices that imitate the human voice.1877: Thomas Edison invents the phonograph.1887: Emille Berliner creates the disc gramophone.1890???s: Valdeman Poulsen invents Telegraphone-recorder that makes use of magnetized wire.1906: Michael Wienmeister patents the keyboard phonograph in Austria.1908: Charles Ives composes The Unanswered Question, which makes use of various disparate coexisting elements.1920: A dada performance consisting of 8 record players playing simultaneously takes place.1920-25: Four patents are issued, to different individuals, that describe instruments that utilize recordings on wire, disc, or cylinder.Late 1920???s: Photoelectric organs feature sampled sounds.1929-30: Paul Hindemith and Ernst Toch produce grammophonmusik collages.1930: Walter Ruttman produces Weekend, a sound collage intended to evoke life in Berlin.Mid 1930???s: Call-in-clocks utilize sampled voices to give callers the time.1937-38: Alec Reeve develops PCM, a technology for capturing sound.1939: John Cage composes Imaginary Landscape No.1 for variable speed turntables.1948: Pierre Schaeffer begins to develop Musique Concr??te, experimenting first with records, and later with tape.1950: Daphne Oram composes Still Point for double orchestra, and three 78rpm record players.1952: John Cage creates Williams Mix, a massive piece for spliced tape.1953: Pierre Schaeffer patents the Phonog??ne, a tape loop player with 12 playback heads of various sizes that alter the pitch of the sound on the loop.1955: Hugh LeCaine creates the Special Purpose Tape-Recorder, a multi-track keyboard controller that varies the speed of up to 10 tape loops.1961: James Tenney samples Elvis in Collage No.1 (???Blue suede???).1964: The Mellotron, a keyboard that uses tape loops as sound sources, is released.1965: Steve Reich uses tape loops of a sampled voice to create It???s Gonna Rain.1968: Holger Czukay, of the German band Can, samples and re-contextualizes a Vietnamese singer on his album Canaxis.1968: The Beatles use spliced tape samples of organ sounds on ???For the Benefit of Mr. Kite??? from the album Sergeant Pepper???s??? in order to achieve a desired effect.1969: Terry Riley???s Rainbow in Curved Air, in which a special tape delay continuously samples and re-plays his keyboard playing, is released.1979: Mr. Magic, a Connecticut-based hip-hop artist, records the first sample-based hip-hop song using a then unheard of technique; a break from a record is recorded numerous times, and these individual recordings are then spliced into a loop.1979: Sugarhill Records releases ???Rapper???s Delight,??? a record on which musicians replicate a small portion of another musician???s work in a looped manner.1979: The Allen Organ Company produces electronic organs that use sampled organ sounds.1979: The Fairlight CMI is released???it is the first digital sampling keyboard.1981: Brian Eno and David Byrne release My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, on which a multitude of vocal samples are re-contextualized.1986: The E-Mu SP12 is the first affordable digital sampler to be released. It allows musicians to sample entire measures of music. Hip-hop is transformed, and sampling becomes popularized soon after.

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    eh?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    That thing is redoncalunc.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Include Bambaata's use of Kraftwerk, and you have got to include Herc's use of the breaks, and Flash's perfection of that technique. The use of previously released commercial records is a big deal...you have a lot of examples that use sampled sounds but the concept of using someone else's work is a big deal conceptually IMO.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    True.

• silver apples get some credit in my book. their self-titled lp from '68 incorporates samples from the radio that they play along with. plus, they rock the mean peasant cut.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

1968: The Beatles use spliced tape samples of organ sounds on ???For the Benefit of Mr. Kite??? from the album Sergeant Pepper???s??? in order to achieve a desired effect.

That would be 1967, not 68. June is the 40th anniversary of the album.

How about Buchanan & Goodman's "The Flying Saucer". They are the guys credited with "inventing" the the break-in record. Dickie Goodman gave us the 70's classic "Mr. Jaws":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickie_Goodman

Or Vic Venus' "Moonflight". In fact, the technique would continue to be used throughout the 60's, 70's, and up through today.

I think King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King[/b] is worthy for its use of the Mellotron. While not the first rock band to use it, they used it in a manner which arguably sparked the prog rock revolution.

Malcolm McLaren's "Buffalo Gals" should be credited to some degree, since it was the song that inspired Herbie Hancock to use D.ST in "Rockit", which in turn influenced everyone to scratch on old phonographs.

• Include Bambaata's use of Kraftwerk, and you have got to include Herc's use of the breaks, and Flash's perfection of that technique. The use of previously released commercial records is a big deal...you have a lot of examples that use sampled sounds but the concept of using someone else's work is a big deal conceptually IMO.

Yeah absolutely. This is a glaring omission. The looping technique started with turntables and while you mention that looping changes the concept of sampling you don't explain where it came from.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Right. Continuing thanks.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

1968: The Beatles use spliced tape samples of organ sounds on ???For the Benefit of Mr. Kite??? from the album Sergeant Pepper???s??? in order to achieve a desired effect.

That would be 1967, not 68. June is the 40th anniversary of the album.

I think King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King[/b] is worthy for its use of the Mellotron. While not the first rock band to use it, they used it in a manner which arguably sparked the prog rock revolution.

as a general beatles note - they used the mellotron a lot, they were amongst the very first to get their hands on one. i thought that was that where the mr kite calliope sound came from, as well as lots of other things they used in '67-'68 (the mellotron uses tape loops of pre-recorded instruments, played out on a piano keyboard - its a direct antecedent of the digital sampling keyboard)

Also, even earlier, the beatles used many prerecorded sound efx via the BBC tape library of sounds that was in house at the EMI/Abbey Road studios. granted, these were things like crowd noises, nature sounds, mechanical noises etc (think of the middle part of yellow submarine for a good example), but they were re-used recordings for sure.

also in 1966's 'tomorrow never knows', they not only used some of those bbc tapes, but also in fact looped up the drums via repeated tape splicing. now, ringo did play the beat you hear, but it was looped, in an effort to be avant-garde and create a more consistent drone effect.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Yo, please check Karl Heinz Stockhausen. He experimented with prerecorded sounds too and radio sounds and so on. He was the teacher of Holger Czukay of Can.

Have you ever thought of incorporating the invention of analog reverb and echo delays ????

The Roland Space Echo was not the first, but is one of the most famouse tape delays, and as the name says, it records a portion on tape and replays it at a certain moment later so that you had a echo.

And Spring Reverbs and bucket chain or oil can reverbs could be intresting to.

It is not exactly sampling, but they are working in a way that is similar to the tape echo. They slow down the tempo of a piece of music till they give it back to the ear.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Include the advent of the Technics 1200 MKII. Oh, and you should include Steinski for his pioneering cut and paste work with hip-hop (Lesson 1, 2, 3).
    Also include some of the sample scares, the De La stuff & other lawsuits over sampling...again don't know how late you're going but the gradual shift towards electronic sounds and synths and then the explosion of the Korg Triton is important in the decrease in sampling in commercial hip-hop.