F--- Microwave (Microwave dj related)

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
The FinalScratch Open Scratch Amp is a state-of-the-art low latency FireWire 96k / 24 bit audio interface that is compatible for use with a variety of software applications, making it an ideal solution for programs that do not currently ship with a sound card, such as MixVibes, Deckadance, Ableton Live, Traktor DJ Studio, PCDJ, and the like, and providing the connections needed from turntables, cd players, and microphones. The Scratch Amp also provides the output connections to the DJ mixer and headphones for sending audio out of the computer. In addition to this, Midi is implemented on the Scratch Amp so users can now connect external control surfaces and audio devices to their DJ software application. Because the Scratch Amp is an ASIO / WDM device on Windows and is a class compliant CoreAudio device on the MacOS, it can work with virtually every audio application on the planet. ---This means you can Microwave straight from Itunes.hmmmm..- spidey

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    corny....

Microwave is like windows for PCs...

industry standard...

peace.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    eyekantfugwitFS.

NI's relationship with their users is TERD[/b] related. and dildo just has a better interface (A-E-I-OOOOO).

This means you can Microwave straight from Itunes.

how is this dif from dildo?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    "Now with MIDI!!!!!!"

Whats the general beef with NI?

• I thought this was going to be a thread about dudes that come up to you while you are djing and ask why you are not using Microwave. I had three dudes do this to me at the club on Friday. One dude came up all, "dude that blend sounded nice, oh your still use records I switched to Microwave last year" Oh what a difference a couple of years makes. That said I have no hate for Microwave and if I had the money I would cop with the quickness.

And before someone else says it, yes I sound poor. Which is probably because I am.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Whats the general beef with NI?

notorious for putting out buggy software with updates that cost a 1/3 the price (and updates have their own bugs)

granted this is an industry standard, but i bought dildo 9 months ago (an already stable machine) and have gotten about 6 updates since with no charge. AND each update contained features that... yes... USERS requested.

dildo may not have the bells and whistles of FS, but good customer service trumps all.

• This means you can Microwave straight from Itunes.

ummmmmm...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I had three dudes do this to me at the club on Friday. One dude came up all, "dude that blend sounded nice, oh your still use records I switched to Microwave last year" Oh what a difference a couple of years makes.

reverse microwave hate is a definite

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I agree microwave is best because it has superior customer service, interface, code, but I sure would like some of the features the other guys have. I wouldnt mind being able to hook up a midi controller to handle punch ins/outs for looping for instance...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I agree microwave is best because it has superior customer service, interface, code, but I sure would like some of the features the other guys have. I wouldnt mind being able to hook up a midi controller to handle punch ins/outs for looping for instance...

1.8 will have MIDI control, and I'm pretty sure you can already hook up a footswitch to the 57 to punch in and out loops.

There are toys, like Finalscratch & all the other jokes. And then there are thought out products made by people dedicated to their craft, like Scratchlive. Last week at NAMM a zillion manufacturers released toys - plastic dj controllers, digital vinyl interfaces, etc. And Microwave quietly released a solid update with features that users actually want, while previewing features that are on their way (video).

• Why is it that when ever I try to explain Microwave to someone, it usually goes:

"Um, do you know Finalscratch?"
    "Yeah."
    "It's like that."

Despite the fact that almost every DJ I know prefers Microwave. How do people find out about Finalscratch instead?

• Why is it that when ever I try to explain Microwave to someone, it usually goes:

"Um, do you know Finalscratch?"
    "Yeah."
    "It's like that."

Despite the fact that almost every DJ I know prefers Microwave. How do people find out about Finalscratch instead?

haha, i've wondered about that, too... people always come up and ask if i'm using final scratch, how the fuck do they know about that, and have never heard of microwave?... i don't know ANYONE that uses final scratch anymore

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    When Se"rat"o and Final Scratch came out. Final Scratch had the bigger marketing campaign (magazines, internet hypery). Yet, the overall consensus of most "sponsered" Dj's is that Se"rat"o tracks much better. So, it became the industry standard.

I haven't tried the new Final Scratch to say if it is now functionaly competitive. However the new midi implemenation might be a deal breaker given the fact that you can use a non-traditional interface to work with your turntables. Like Ableton, Winamp, etc.

All this blah blah biased and closemindedness needs to chill out man..

- spidey

• no matter the case. i highly doubt heads will convert after already spending loot on Microwave, the time ripping tracks and organizing within.say you do a night, most heads all have Microwave...dont be that guy that has to break everything down so you can hook your finalcrash up.
    not to mention most clubs have Microwave ready to go..plug n play.

• yeah, the guy i dj with got fs a couple years ago, but when everybody else got microwave, he kind of had to switch because it was such a headache to switch between the two... i will say though, in the short time he was using fs, it worked great... i have heard of and seen in person the old versions fuck up on people, and i think it caused fs to get a bad stigma attached to it... maybe they tried to get it out too fast or something

p.s. - microwave 1.7 final is out today!... key lock, auto bpm, auto gain, snap to beat looping!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    However the new midi implemenation might be a deal breaker given the fact that you can use a non-traditional interface to work with your turntables.

theres some third party software (at least for macs) that let you assign midi signals to ANY software button function. im not sure how it works, but i saw a video and it looked pretty fly.

• so glad when ever you type ser-ato it views as microwave and not dildo...i hate that shit.

• When Se"rat"o and Final Scratch came out. Final Scratch had the bigger marketing campaign (magazines, internet hypery). Yet, the overall consensus of most "sponsered" Dj's is that Se"rat"o tracks much better. So, it became the industry standard.

I haven't tried the new Final Scratch to say if it is now functionaly competitive. However the new midi implemenation might be a deal breaker given the fact that you can use a non-traditional interface to work with your turntables. Like Ableton, Winamp, etc.

- spidey

actually, FS was being beta-tested by Ritchie Hawtin/Plastikman on his world tour in 2000. So my feeling is that anyone who asks about FS over SSL is probably more into "oomcha oomcha oomcha" than "boom bap, ba-boom ba-boom bap"

• Competition is a good thing

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    When Se"rat"o and Final Scratch came out. Final Scratch had the bigger marketing campaign (magazines, internet hypery). Yet, the overall consensus of most "sponsered" Dj's is that Se"rat"o tracks much better. So, it became the industry standard.

- spidey

actually, FS was being beta-tested by Ritchie Hawtin/Plastikman on his world tour in 2000. So my feeling is that anyone who asks about FS over SSL is probably more into "oomcha oomcha oomcha" than "boom bap, ba-boom ba-boom bap"

despite being sponsored by finalscratch ritchie uses Microwave. OR I should say he performs live with both. On of my close friends is a big techno head and saw him the last time he played in detroit. it was Microwave all the way......

I think craze does the same thing.

anyways,

I heard something about the new version of Microwave having folders within folders in your crates. anyone know about this? this would be a great update. I could really organize my stuff in a more logical way by doing this....

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

- spidey

despite being sponsored by finalscratch ritchie uses Microwave. OR I should say he performs live with both. On of my close friends is a big techno head and saw him the last time he played in detroit. it was Microwave all the way......

anyways,

I heard something about the new version of Microwave having folders within folders in your crates. anyone know about this? this would be a great update. I could really organize my stuff in a more logical way by doing this....

check the update... its all about subcrates

• one problem i have with microwave is how long it takes to build overviews. i downloaded the 1.7 update and have been building overviews for the past 24 hours and not even halfway done.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts

- spidey

anyways,

check the update... its all about subcrates

which update? I only see 1.6.3

someone said something about 1.7 is that final?

• yes, it's final... download it at scratchlive.net -> forums -> downloads... you will need to be logged in to get it... i got it earlier, but i haven't messed with it yet... guess i'll find out tomorrow night