PDAstrut?

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
so i decided i need something to keep myself organized with and decided a pda would be a good look. i dont really need anything too fancy and would need an easy to use notepad kind of thing more than anything else. i dont really know what these things are capable of now so if anyone could drop some knowledge that would be great.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I haven't used one in a few years, but when I had a job that required wildly varying hours my Palm Pilot was a godsend. I just entered in my schedule and I could view it by day, week, or month. Some of the older models are pretty cheap and would do you fine, as long as you aren't trying to play any high tech games or surf the web. You can also DL books for them. I read Moby Dick on my Palm Pilot.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    oh yeah, acrobat is a must on that joint

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i had this one

was pretty happy with it, though didnt use it to its potential. Only things i used it for was a drug information program at work, and the occasional internet browser. It has bluetooth and wifi (a big plus). Had it for a good 3 months, got a lot of use at work though.

It got stolen though. One night i let my lady use my car to go out, i forgot to take it out my car, and the valet people i guess really wanted it. Realized it was gone the next morning. Oh well, theres 300 dollars gone.

I plan on just getting a smartphone (phone + pda) next time. Because part of the reason i didnt use it to its potential is that i never had it on me outside of work. Cant imagine carrying a phone AND a pda on me at all times.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    I plan on just getting a smartphone (phone + pda) next time. Because part of the reason i didnt use it to its potential is that i never had it on me outside of work. Cant imagine carrying a phone AND a pda on me at all times.

All phones will soon have PDA functionality. There are plenty that offer 90% of what you'd ever need from a PDA on sale right now. I work in I.T. support and our company have used most kinds of PDA at some point down the line. The screens are the big problem, the backlights always go, and all are prone to cracking when a mug sits down with one in their back pocket (all are too big for front pockets, unless you are a circus clown).

Don't sweat the screen size either, shortly all will be able to project onto any given flat surface. This will bring the price of monitors right down!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    pretty much agl to get a smart phone then or whatever they call them?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

I bought this Nokia E62 recently and like it. It has blackberry connect which is handy for email sync'ing, but isn't necessary if you just want to use IMAP or POP3 to grab email (which is what I do now for two different accounts). Mostly I use it for calendaring to remind me of what I need to keep up with during the day. The full keyboard is nice for sending messages and while it is a large (wide) phone, it is thin and light enough that I hardly notice it in my pocket.

• Good god, for a minute I thought this was going to be about making out in public.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    am i really going to regret if i buy a pda instead of a smart phone? my contract runs out at the end of june and i can get a discounted upgrade at the end of march. i could really use a joint right now but i guess i can wait?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    am i really going to regret if i buy a pda instead of a smart phone?

Are you going to mind carrying two devices instead of one? If not, then buy a PDA. But I think smartphones are the way to go since it is an all-in-one solution.

Or buy a cheap ($50) PDA and then discard it when you get a new phone next summer.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I just got the tmobile dash about a month ago, it's really compact which means unlike most smartphones it fits int he back pocket of my tight jeans. I'm psyched off that thing. It makes a difference in my life--kind of. I wind up not checking email on my computer as much, and thereby not spending as much time on the computer. Being able to go on the internet and find out exactly where something is, or how much a record is going for on ebay can be quite handy as well. The only thing is that you have to pay for monthly internet service, but it's definitely worth it. It has wifi, but that doesn't do you much good when you're standing in the middle of the sidewalk somewhere.

I just got the tmobile dash about a month ago, it's really compact which means unlike most smartphones it fits int he back pocket of my tight jeans. I'm psyched off that thing. It makes a difference in my life--kind of. I wind up not checking email on my computer as much, and thereby not spending as much time on the computer. Being able to go on the internet and find out exactly where something is, or how much a record is going for on ebay can be quite handy as well. The only thing is that you have to pay for monthly internet service, but it's definitely worth it. It has wifi, but that doesn't do you much good when you're standing in the middle of the sidewalk somewhere.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    BUMP.

I gotta get one of these for my job.

Anyone got the lowdown on when the next generations are coming out?

Should I cop now or wait a month?

I hear the Q9 is about to come out so maybe wait for that?

Blackjack?

Dash?

Blackberry 8700 might be my shit. Anyone wanna talk be out of that?

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I read Moby Dick on my Palm Pilot.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I don't know, man. If you're down with records, you might want to go analog. I just picked up this sweet little PAA, and it's everything I've been needing:

cuneiform tablet having scholars. do I look sumerian to you?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Question: If I get a smartphone, I can just take the SIM chip out of my current phone and put it in the smartphone, thereby keeping the same phone number and whatnot, right?

I'd ask my wireless carrier or the smartphone manufacturer or whatever, but companies just bullshit you and tell you what you want to hear.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I was going to Hittite, but close enough.

I was going to Hittite, but close enough.

don't hittite the sayer

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Be careful putting that in your jeans. I did and it cracked the LCD, the actual screen inside. I've heard this is common. T-Mobile sent me a new one but I may be charged 100 if they determine it was my fault which they probably will. Other than that, I love this phone and have it tricked out to look like a mac.

os x skin on my dash

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    i had this one

was pretty happy with it, though didnt use it to its potential. Only things i used it for was a drug information program at work, and the occasional internet browser. It has bluetooth and wifi (a big plus). Had it for a good 3 months, got a lot of use at work though.

Whatchyou do resk? I got this one for Rn school and my future job for the same reasons: drug info., diagnostic techniques, and the lot. I dig mine a lot. Of course, I just bought it, but I am finding that it suits my personality. True on the bluetooth and wifi. I gotta say that I like it for that reason and that don't have to pay for wifi through my phone company--I can just pick up what's in the room like I would with a laptop.

Be careful putting that in your jeans. I did and it cracked the LCD, the actual screen inside. I've heard this is common. T-Mobile sent me a new one but I may be charged 100 if they determine it was my fault which they probably will. Other than that, I love this phone and have it tricked out to look like a mac.

os x skin on my dash

no Google (gmail, google chat) on the Dash though right? seems like they all support MSN, AOL and yahoo, but you gotta go for the Blackberry if you want Google though.

• I'm preparing for my own personal electronic perfect storm -- my iPod is dead, my cell is about to go, and I'll need/want a PDA for the upcoming school year.

The iPhone looks like my lifesaver.

I realize their trailor makes it look amazing for a reason, but that thing is just so slick.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I'm preparing for my own personal electronic perfect storm -- my iPod is dead, my cell is about to go, and I'll need/want a PDA for the upcoming school year.

The iPhone looks like my lifesaver.

I realize their trailor makes it look amazing for a reason, but that thing is just so slick.

6 bills + a contract is some serious cheese.

ima hold out till my contract is up with cingular and get me a pearl for free... there are crazy deal for em i guess b/c a newer version is coming out with a full keyboard. I like the OG one just cause its as tiny as regular bar phones.

or maybe by then the iPhone will knock down in its price.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i feel sorry for the people who buy a first generation iphone because of the inevitable problems that are bound to happen.

i almost switched to t-mobile and got a dash yesterday but held off. i still have two months left with cingular but i kinda wanna get a new phone already. anyone wanna sell me an 8525 on the cheap?

oh yeah and has anyone used any kind of remote pc software on the dash? how well does that shit run?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

no Google (gmail, google chat) on the Dash though right? seems like they all support MSN, AOL and yahoo, but you gotta go for the Blackberry if you want Google though.

I have gmail on my phone. Tmobile's website lets you set up your accounts from your home computer which is way asier than doing it with the phone, and then it just acts as a relay for whatever email you're using. I've had a few issues with my phone freezing up, and deleting emails, but all in all I'm still heartily endorsing this product. ALthough that new Blackberry 8800 with the scroll wheel is lookin pretty sick.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    im a pharmacist, i work strictly retail pharmacy now, but at the time i was doing clinical work at a couple hospitals.

i was using micromedex, just cause i got it free from my old job, but using an older version out of laziness of updating it to the newer version. It was good enough, but the version i used was on the slow side. Many of my coworkers use lexicomp (makers of the actual "Drug Information Handbook") whcih seems to work realy nice and quick, i just never got around to sitting down and buying the program.

I ended up now getting a smartphone ( motorolla Q, which i use a whole lot for internet/email but not at all for drug info), and got another pda which pretty much just sits in my labcoat. Since im not doing clinical work anymore and no longer rounding in a hospital getting asked drug info questions on the spot, i really dont need a portable drug info source anymore. Now that i am strictly doing retail work, i stand in front of a computer all day and have about 5 diffrent drug info sources on my computer where i pretty much never bother pulling out my pda.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My Palm Pilot just sits in its cradle collecting dust. My phone does most of what I need.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    PERSONAL
    DIGGIN
    ASSISTANT